Problem with Sanyo 5.25 MFD-001

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

06-05-2018, 16:41

Hi

the first 5.25" disk drive i have had got for MSX is this one :

As you can see, this one seems to have been homemade. But, it was sold with the interface of the sanyo MFD-001 :

And everything's still working very well !

By chance i found recently a sanyo MFD-001 disk drive (without interface) :

This one can read the content of a floppy. But each time i try to launch a program, i have the error message "Disk offline". The program works fine with my first "homemade" disk drive.
Any idea why ?

Login or register to post comments

By rderooy

Champion (306)

rderooy's picture

06-05-2018, 16:52

Interesting case.

Question, that switch on the front of the controller cartridge, what does it do?

Regarding your problem, I'm not an expert, but perhaps you have a calibration issue where it can read the contents (FAT table), but not the files. Are you able to format a new disk in the drive, and store files on it then?

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

06-05-2018, 16:56

I tryed but in a case nothing's working !!

By rderooy

Champion (306)

rderooy's picture

06-05-2018, 16:56

I also noticed the cable has screws on the end, but the MFD-001 drive side has plastic clips to hold the "ribbon" cable. So I guess the cable is also not original.

By rderooy

Champion (306)

rderooy's picture

06-05-2018, 16:59

talou_iz_good wrote:

I tryed but in a case nothing's working !!

I'm afraid I don't understand what your trying to say. If I understood things correctly, the FILES command from BASIC works, but trying to LOAD/RUN/BLOAD something does not, and gives a disk offline error?

Does a FORMAT also give a disk offline error?

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

06-05-2018, 18:12

You have understood.
You're right, the connector of the cable was doubtless modified.
I have not yet tested to format a floppy. I am going to try as soon as possible

Thanks

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

06-05-2018, 18:14

But i notice that the brand of the cable's connector is the same that the disk drive : amphenol.

By Josevil

Expert (89)

Josevil's picture

09-05-2018, 20:22

the heads are usually spoiled over the years even if they do not wear out, you would have to put a new unit of 5.25 but the most normal unit of 3.5 and abundant

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

13-05-2018, 19:22

Well i made some other tests today.
I wrote a mistake, i don't have the error message "disk offline" but "Disk I/O error" each time i try to load a basic program.
When i try to format i have the message "Disk error". Every floppy i have seem to be "Double density".
I wanted to put the floppy drive of the homemade in the Sanyo but this drive is welded in the homemade with the printed circuit board of the power supply.

By rderooy

Champion (306)

rderooy's picture

14-05-2018, 00:10

As I said, I'm not an expert in this stuff.

Does the drive have a rubber drive belt? If so, it may be too loose and should be replaced (rubber degrades over time). Some drives do not have a rubber belt, and are referred to as "direct drive", and are normally more reliable.

Replacing a drive belt can be tricky, and you will have to find a suitable replacement.

Another issue, as I mentioned before, could be head alignment. But I don't know how to solve that.

By talou_iz_good

Expert (125)

talou_iz_good's picture

15-05-2018, 14:35

Thank you but there's no belt. Maybe i need to find another 5.25 to change this one.

My MSX profile