SFG-01/05 module clone

Page 2/9
1 | | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

By Alexey

Guardian (2341)

Alexey's picture

27-02-2017, 12:06

We won't produce any modules for sale, we will only make some boards available for purchasing. As usual. Those who want to assemble - will assemble themselves or ask their friends to assemble for them.

MiniDIN will not fit into the cartridge box, so we will have to use 2x5 pin output for the converter. The converter will have to have 2x5 pin female connector on one side and 2x female DIN5 connector on the other side.

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3047)

sd_snatcher's picture

27-02-2017, 14:02

The MIDI Interface 3 for the MSX has two miniDIN5 for its MIDI connectors on a standard cartridge, and they fit adequately:

Another version, but in this one the mini-DINs are not as close to the border as they could be.

Do you plan to make it to fit in the Konami/Overrich/Patola cartridge shell, or in the Irem/Sunrise shell?

By Grauw

Ascended (8382)

Grauw's picture

27-02-2017, 17:58

alexito wrote:

I would be interested in the SFG-01 clone (using Real YM2151) and if you guys can implement direct I/O access (using IN/OUT) to the YM2151 Audio Chip will be great because this add on allow us to adapt arcade music more easily for sure.

Please no, this hardware does not need fragmentation, software written for this YM2151 should also work with the SFG originals. Programming for the SFG-01/05 is really not that difficult (I say as one of the few software developers who has done so recently). Also the MSX I/O space is swamped already.

By alexito

Hero (534)

alexito's picture

28-02-2017, 06:37

@giangiacomo.zaffini: Arcade Games developers like to use the more simple way and that is Direct Access through IN/OUT.

By Alexey

Guardian (2341)

Alexey's picture

28-02-2017, 10:27

Sorry, those sockets don't look adequate at all, they look ugly. It's better to use a dual row pin connector and make a converter. About the cases - I still can't identify them properly. We are going to use the one that is similar to Wozblaster's case. It is sold by a guy from Korea.

By Alexey

Guardian (2341)

Alexey's picture

10-03-2017, 21:58

We managed to move all logic chips except one into Altera's firmware. The cartridge board is being prototyped now. It will have a 40 pin IDE connector for the separate expansion board that will have full size MIDI, RCA and music keyboard connectors. The 3.5mm audio socket will remain on the cartridge board.

However it will be possible to solder the music keyboard connector directly on the cartridge board. Also the MIDI sockets could be replaced with 2x5 pin connector and a small adapter that has dual DIN5 female plugs. A similar adapter can be made for RCA female sockets.

The board for the Yamaha's side slot is also being developed.

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3047)

sd_snatcher's picture

10-03-2017, 22:47

@Alexey

Another option is to use 3.5mm TRS connectors, like this one. and at least it's easy to find adapter cables on eBay an Amazon.

By Alexey

Guardian (2341)

Alexey's picture

12-03-2017, 01:10

sd_snatcher wrote:

@Alexey
Another option is to use 3.5mm TRS connectors, like this one. and at least it's easy to find adapter cables on eBay an Amazon.

Unfortunately there's not enough space on the board to put those connectors. So we will use the additional board with full size connectors like in the original module.

By Alexey

Guardian (2341)

Alexey's picture

13-03-2017, 23:45

The board has been drafted. Now we need to design the additional converter board with all sockets and then we can order the boards.

The repository is here:

https://github.com/RBSC/SFG_Cartridge/

By MSXPro

Resident (48)

MSXPro's picture

14-03-2017, 08:37

Alexey, my 10 cents and my know-how on making PCBs...

Adapter board is UGLY Evil and not a practical.

My sugestions to you is replace IDC40 to standard SFG keyboard connector.

Replace TRS 3,5mm audio out jack to this model to save space:

Black is good color to audio-output. Link to this jack on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20Pcs-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Connector-4...

And use TRS 3,5mm jack to midi-in and midi-out.

I sugest to use green to midi-in and yellow to midi-out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Connector-6Pin-DIP-Stereo-Headphone-Jack-PJ-321C-Yellow-/261833069487

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Connector-6-Pin-DIP-Stereo-Headphone-Jack-PJ-321C-Green-/251900451518

And make cartridge size to fit on konami case style, Konami/Overrich/Patola.

And the last, replace IDC10 J-TAG to only double row (2x5) golden pin bar. No necessary use boxed IDC, and save more space.

It's make cartridge more compact, more universal and good look! :)

Page 2/9
1 | | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7