Sony XV-T550 demystified. Look here if you have one.

Page 3/6
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5366)

NYYRIKKI's picture

28-05-2015, 14:14

PAC wrote:

Thank you NYYRIKKI. I wonder why Sony mounted the cartridge slot when theoretically it is not available inside. I mean, the normal procedure when you are a board manufacturer (or any product), is to avoid to assemble useless components (cost down).

Well... When you make devices, there will be faulty ones every once in a while. MSX cartridge connector is not that expensive, but it will make debugging of manufacture errors a lot easier. You need to remember that this was probably pretty expensive and specialized hi end hardware with all these golden connectors & over sized cooling. It is also from era when devices were meant to be fixed and you didn't need to sign NDA to get a service manual.

BTW Although the cartridge port is not available to outside world it is pretty easy to use in "maintenance mode". For easy service the device is designed so that you can lift and lock the upper board to upright position without disconnecting any wires.

By MSX4ever

Master (176)

MSX4ever's picture

30-05-2015, 12:23

Hello Nyyrikki,

I have a Sony XV T550 too and have tried the wires 1,2, and 9. Really fantastic !!!.
Now i want to connect a pc keyboard. I have a female PC connection with 4 wires.
My question is where must i put the 4 wires on the mouse connection of the Sony XV T550.

I have a Mega Flash Rom too for update the 50/60 hz situation, games etc.

Regards,
MSX4ever Smile

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5366)

NYYRIKKI's picture

31-05-2015, 11:10

I've sent you private mail... (Public information will be available, when this stuff is in less alpha/beta stage)

By usuario_msx2

Paladin (745)

usuario_msx2's picture

19-05-2016, 10:36

Hi,
In the first place congratulations to NYYRIKKI for doing the hard work with this nice machine.

+External pc keyboard is possible without mod xv-j/xv-t using a L.Padial keyboard cartridge, no sltsl signal needed for working Smile I use it:

+No open the machine all the time for insert cartridge needed, put a 50 way flat scsi cable and you have slot outside (like L.Padial flat cable for slot expander)

+Here you are "La abadia del crimen msx2" running with a megaflashromSD from M.Pazos

Thank you again NYYRIKKI!
(there is no enough beer in the world for paying your effort)

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5366)

NYYRIKKI's picture

19-05-2016, 10:47

@usuario_msx2 Now your setup must be among the most weird MSX2 setups ever implemented... Looks great though. Smile Nice to see that you had such a nice same brand display for it too. Tongue

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

19-05-2016, 17:18

i did some years a ago even easyer . rip ou the rom and insert t a nms8245 rom Tongue

By alejo08101974

Supporter (1)

alejo08101974's picture

29-07-2016, 19:23

MSX4ever wrote:

Hello Nyyrikki,

I have a Sony XV T550 too and have tried the wires 1,2, and 9. Really fantastic !!!.
Now i want to connect a pc keyboard. I have a female PC connection with 4 wires.
My question is where must i put the 4 wires on the mouse connection of the Sony XV T550.

I have a Mega Flash Rom too for update the 50/60 hz situation, games etc.

Regards,
MSX4ever Smile

Hello Nyyrikki, I also have the machine and please also need information to connect a PC keyboard

By Manuel

Ascended (15694)

Manuel's picture

11-05-2019, 20:04

NYYRIKKI wrote:
PAC wrote:

NYYRIKKI, should the ROM from sony XV-T550 work on a real MSX computers?

No. There are few problems:
- Custom memory controller: Although Konami mapper is quite a close to this one, it can't handle big enough ROM's to handle both program and font ROMs.
- Video table: This keyboard replacement is not MSX keyboard compatible.
- Leds: This device has more leds than MSX computers.
- Video control: This video control is not compatible with NMS8280 or Sony super impose enabled MSX models.
- SRAM: MSX computers don't usually have SRAM or if they have, it is not used same way.

These are not big problems, but makes it impossible to run the software on MSX without modifications.

In practice, this program could be adjusted to work on a real MSX2 like the NMS 8280 or Sony HB-x900x. But it would indeed require some hacking.. Biggest issue is to change the ROM mapper to be compatible with some known MSX mapper. NYYRIKKI, did you find out in detail how the mapper works?
The video table could be replaced with an MSX keyboard.
LEDs: tricky, the video table has a lot of LEDs that are useful.... but could be skipped for a first version
Video control: should be adjusted to match MSX
SRAM: replace with disk routines?

Anyone up for the challenge? It's quite a nice program Smile

(Yes, I also got an XV-T550 and played around with it today.)

By Manuel

Ascended (15694)

Manuel's picture

11-05-2019, 21:16

NYYRIKKI wrote:

"Font ROM" of this system contains both menu graphics and fonts. They are stored in to custom file system. I've extracted the files, if someone wants to take a look. Program ROM can be downloaded from Hans Otten page.

I guess the Font ROM could also be replaced by a disk. I couldn't find the Program ROM on the Hans Otten page archive/copy (Only of the XV-33F.) Is it available somewhere?

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5366)

NYYRIKKI's picture

12-05-2019, 13:57

Manuel wrote:

NYYRIKKI, did you find out in detail how the mapper works?

Yes, I have explained it in the first post. See SLOT 3-1
If you just think it as Konami4 mapper with 128 pages then you are very close.

Quote:

Anyone up for the challenge? It's quite a nice program Smile

I have no idea about that as I've done all of this investigation, but still I've not managed to see it running. Even all the Youtube videos are only about how to hack the device, not about how it looks when it is used as intended. Smile

Page 3/6
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6