SX-1+ Mini with MegaFlashRom SCC+ SD problem(s)

Page 8/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9

By SkalTura

Champion (271)

SkalTura's picture

04-01-2021, 11:46

NetNomad wrote:

Hey SkalTura, when you added the capacitor to the USB 5V, do you know if that brought the 12V cartridge lines down to 12V even? I'm getting some gnarly clipping with an SFG clone cartridge on the SX-1 Mini+ and I'm wondering if it's because it's being fed too much power. And when you added it, was it the positive leg to the leftmost pin with the USB connector facing you and the negative leg to the rightmost?

I added the capacitor with the + to the switch jumper (so it's connected over the 5V power before the switch is turned on). This way the capacitor works as a buffer for power peaks or drops (should that happen) when the switch is turned on.
As mentioned before, it's a bit more stable, but still fails sometimes...

By SkalTura

Champion (271)

SkalTura's picture

05-01-2021, 07:38

Maron wrote:

a little bit late, i have time to check my mini+ works with MFRSCC or not.
never boot up and no start logo at all, neither slot 1 or 2.

Have you tried using the MFR in the SX-1 Mini+ together with another cartridge, so both slots are in use (don't forget to set the jumpers so both slots are enabled)...?
That also increased stability a bit for me.

By NetNomad

Rookie (23)

NetNomad's picture

15-01-2021, 05:45

Thank you for your help SkalTura! unfortunately my theory about the SFG cartridge was wrong for anyone reading this in the future but the mini+ seems to be more reliable with the capacitor there either way

By SkalTura

Champion (271)

SkalTura's picture

28-01-2021, 09:12

Been playing with the SX-1 Mini+ now for a few weeks (without the MFR), and found another strange thing.
Sometimes at cold start, there is no sound...

Currently I'm using the SX-1 Mini+ without any cartridges, and running SofaRun to select my games.
Most of the time there is no problem, but ever so often there is no sound.
Doesn't matter what game I select, I have to reset the SX (reset button) in order to get sound again.

Any thought on this ?

By KdL

Paragon (1375)

KdL's picture

28-01-2021, 18:01

Hi. For each new issue, you should indicate which firmware you are working on, specifying which PLD file you are using. In fact, this audio problem is usually due to compilation errors and should be fixed by replacing the firmware.

Here are some possible solutions:
(1) use a firmware designed for SX-1 instead of SX-1 mini+.
(2) or recompile the SX-1 mini+ firmware using a different optimization of Quartus II (AREA-NORMAL, BALANCED-EXTRA EFFORT, etc).
(3) or restore manually the master volume with the [Page Up] key whenever the problem occurs.

By AxelStone

Prophet (2840)

AxelStone's picture

28-01-2021, 18:23

SkalTura wrote:

Been playing with the SX-1 Mini+ now for a few weeks (without the MFR), and found another strange thing.
Sometimes at cold start, there is no sound...

Currently I'm using the SX-1 Mini+ without any cartridges, and running SofaRun to select my games.
Most of the time there is no problem, but ever so often there is no sound.
Doesn't matter what game I select, I have to reset the SX (reset button) in order to get sound again.

Any thought on this ?

Add SETMART with the desired configuration to your AUTOEXEC.BAT, so you'll get allways the desired volumen. I've several configurations put using this procedure, once of them is precisely the sound. I like PSG to be a bit more prominent than SCC, so I adjust volume in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

By KdL

Paragon (1375)

KdL's picture

28-01-2021, 20:33

AxelStone wrote:

Add SETMART with the desired configuration to your AUTOEXEC.BAT, so you'll get allways the desired volumen. I've several configurations put using this procedure, once of them is precisely the sound. I like PSG to be a bit more prominent than SCC, so I adjust volume in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Hi AlexStone, your solution is very fine for the audio issue but does not fix the unstable firmware flaw, so keeping that firmware might generate other issues randomly.

By SkalTura

Champion (271)

SkalTura's picture

29-01-2021, 08:01

KdL wrote:

Hi. For each new issue, you should indicate which firmware you are working on, specifying which PLD file you are using. In fact, this audio problem is usually due to compilation errors and should be fixed by replacing the firmware.

Here are some possible solutions:
(1) use a firmware designed for SX-1 instead of SX-1 mini+.
(2) or recompile the SX-1 mini+ firmware using a different optimization of Quartus II (AREA-NORMAL, BALANCED-EXTRA EFFORT, etc).
(3) or restore manually the master volume with the [Page Up] key whenever the problem occurs.

No experience with PLD / FPGA MSX...
I bought the SX-1 Mini+ in June last year, so I would assume the 8bits4ever guys put in the correct firmware.

By AxelStone

Prophet (2840)

AxelStone's picture

29-01-2021, 09:59

You are right @KdL. It's quite simple @SkalTura, simply download the last firmware and follow instructions, you only need to execute one command.

By SkalTura

Champion (271)

SkalTura's picture

29-01-2021, 12:02

Daniël from 8Bits4Ever told me that the firmware for the SX-1 Mini+ is not the same as for the SX-1 and won't work properly, so I'm very hesitant to try this...

Page 8/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9