What's a good MSX2 machine, for the early titles?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By R_Leo_1

Expert (80)

R_Leo_1's picture

10-10-2018, 20:21

I'm planning on purchasing an MSX2 computer soon. I had originally planned on just getting an MSX1, since I was most interested in games released for that computer, but now I've gained some interest in the early MSX2 titles (Like ones from the mid to late 80s). So I don't want too many fancy bells and whistles, I'm just wondering which model would be best for the earlier titles on the MSX2. Any suggestions?

Login or register to post comments

By Vampier

Prophet (2352)

Vampier's picture

10-10-2018, 20:35

if you're in europe an nms8220 for 60hz/ntsc i recommend a Panasonic_FS-A1

furthermore i recommend getting a megaflashrom scc+ SD(512kb mem mapper) or a gr8net adapter with ethernet and mfr capabilities.

here is the progressions of the MSX standard.

MSX1
MSX2
MSX2+
Turbo-R

Any MSX standard is backward compatible.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5457)

JohnHassink's picture

10-10-2018, 20:47

A lot of MSX2 titles make having an FM-PAC (either as a loose cart or built-in) very worthwhile.

By R_Leo_1

Expert (80)

R_Leo_1's picture

10-10-2018, 21:14

Vampier wrote:

if you're in europe an nms8220 for 60hz/ntsc i recommend a Panasonic_FS-A1

furthermore i recommend getting a megaflashrom scc+ SD(512kb mem mapper) or a gr8net adapter with ethernet and mfr capabilities.

I'm in the US so I'll be ntsc, thanks for the recommendation! Smile
Also, I'm assuming the megaflashrom would be for downloading ROMs to it?

JohnHassink wrote:

A lot of MSX2 titles make having an FM-PAC (either as a loose cart or built-in) very worthwhile.

Oh I had no idea you could get it on a cart, I'll have to see if the Panasonic FS-A1 has FM or not. Any games that have FM that you would recommend? Smile

By msxtrd

Master (229)

msxtrd's picture

10-10-2018, 21:30

There is no FM-PAC in FS-A1. None MSX2 have it built in from the factory. FM-PAC is either available loose as an expansion cartridge or built in into most MSX2+ and turbo R computers. The two 2+ models without FM-PAC are (Panasonic FS-A1FX and Sanyo Wavy PHC 35J).

By msxtrd

Master (229)

msxtrd's picture

10-10-2018, 21:32

By R_Leo_1

Expert (80)

R_Leo_1's picture

10-10-2018, 21:36

msxtrd wrote:

There is no FM-PAC in FS-A1. None MSX2 have it built in from the factory. FM-PAC is either available loose as an expansion cartridge or built in into most MSX2+ and turbo R computers. The two 2+ models without FM-PAC are (Panasonic FS-A1FX and Sanyo Wavy PHC 35J).

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up! Also, are the expansion cartridges hard to come by, or fairly common?

By msxtrd

Master (229)

msxtrd's picture

10-10-2018, 21:37

By R_Leo_1

Expert (80)

R_Leo_1's picture

10-10-2018, 21:40

Awesome thanks!

By Pencioner

Scribe (1148)

Pencioner's picture

10-10-2018, 21:53

R_Leo_1 wrote:

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up! Also, are the expansion cartridges hard to come by, or fairly common?

Quite common nowadays, f.e. 8bits4ever produces them

By R_Leo_1

Expert (80)

R_Leo_1's picture

10-10-2018, 23:10

Eyy! Thanks a ton for the link, I'll definitely be picking up one of these Big smile

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3