Yamaha Floppy Drive Emulator?

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By Alexey

Guardian (2055)

Alexey's picture

17-02-2019, 20:42

Yes, this controller is quite "special". The info was shared by our engineer (not sure where he got it from), but we are not sure that it's 100% accurate.

By Manuel

Ascended (15291)

Manuel's picture

17-02-2019, 20:54

Can you ask him how he got to this table? Then we can help to verify it. I'm a little surprised the mapping I used worked so well, as this is quite a bit different for the last half.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5467)

mars2000you's picture

18-02-2019, 00:36

Take a look at this Japanese page (and search for Yamaha) : http://www.ascat.jp/tg/tgd5.html

Note: Infos of this site seem to be different...

Google translation :

     10 YAMAHA

● Type name and applicable model
  type manufacturer Maker model name Slot
 YAMAHA 1 YA 1 YAMAHA FD - 05 (extended drive)

● Various data
  FDC Work area length work area length
 8876 series 10 bytes 6 KB

 Supported media F 8 H to F 9 H 1: F 9 H 2: F 8 H

● In-driver subroutine address
    DSKIO DSKCHG GETDPB CHOICE DSKFMT MTROFF OEMSTA INIHRD DRIVES INIENV
 YA1 74F1H 7865H 78A4H 78E4H 7911H 77D0H 7C14H 77BFH 77F0H 7832H

● Number in disk drive MYSIZE SECLEN DEFDPB
YA1 000AH 0200 H 74D5H

● I / O port

 7FF8H R Status register
    W Command Register
 7FF9H R / W Track Register
 7FFAH R / W Sector Register
 7FFBH R / W Data Register
 7FFCH R FDD Status 1 / - / - / - / - / - - / - / - / SIDE /
    W FDD Control 1/0/0/0/0/0/0/0 / SIDE /
7FFDH R FDD Status 2 / MOT / - / - / - / - / - / IUC / DS /
     W FDD Control 2 / MOT / ? /? /? /? /? / IUC / DS /
7FFEH W FDD Control 3 ? /? /? / ? /? /? /? /? /
 7FFFH R FDC status / - DRQ / - IRQ / TE / - / - / - / - / - /

  TE timer enable
  IUC iN USE signal control and a timer set
  SIDE side select
  DS drive select
  MOT writes the state 0 of motor also motor continues to while working, while
             the read this bit 1 It is read out.
  -DRQ Inversion of DRQ signal of
  FDC -IRQ Inversion of IRQ signal of FDC

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5467)

mars2000you's picture

17-02-2019, 22:38

The infos given by Alexey seem to correspond to the internal drive of the Canon V-30F

     8 CANON

● Type name and applicable model
  type Manufacturer model name Slot
 CANON 1 CA1 CANON V-30F 3-1

● Various data
  FDC Work area length Work area length for
 8876 system 7 bytes Not used

 Supported media F8H to FBH 1: F8H 2: F9H

● In-driver subroutine address
    DSKIO DSKCHG GETDPB CHOICE DSKFMT MTROFF OEMSTA INIHRD DRIVES INIENV
 CA1 744DH 77ABH 7816H 7842H 7BC1H 7748H 782DH 7728H 776BH 77A0H

● Number in disk
    drive MYSIZE SECLEN DEFDPB
 CA1 0007H 0200H 7416H

● I / O port
 7FF0H R Status Register
    W Command Register
 7FF1H R / W Track Register
 7FF2H R / W Sector Register
 7FF3H R / W Data Register
 7FF4H R / W / / / / / / / MOT / SIDE /
 7FF5H R / W
 7FF6H R / W
7FF7H R FDC Status / -DRQ / IRQ / - / - / - / - / - / - / - /

  MOT 1 Motor ON
  SIDE Side Select Signal -
  DRQ Inverted DRQ Signal of
  FDC IRQ FDC IRQ signal

By msxholder

Champion (336)

msxholder's picture

17-02-2019, 22:22

Take notice there are 2 versions of the diskinterface Fd-051 from Yamaha with diff controller!
See serv. manual

By Manuel

Ascended (15291)

Manuel's picture

17-02-2019, 22:25

Is there a dump of that Canon V-30F diskROM?

Thanks for finding that info, by the way, mars.

msxholder: I looked through that service manual already, but I didn't notice different FDC's... I'll check again. Right now I only remember the WD2793 being mentioned.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5467)

mars2000you's picture

17-02-2019, 22:27

Manuel wrote:

Is there a dump of that Canon V-30F diskROM?

It's one of the machines we've never seen in Europe. No any dump of this machine is available.

By msxholder

Champion (336)

msxholder's picture

17-02-2019, 22:36

There is also an version with 1793 and data separator !

By Alexey

Guardian (2055)

Alexey's picture

18-02-2019, 00:38

Manuel wrote:

Can you ask him how he got to this table? Then we can help to verify it. I'm a little surprised the mapping I used worked so well, as this is quite a bit different for the last half.

It was probably on some Russian 8-bit forum. It was long time ago.

By Manuel

Ascended (15291)

Manuel's picture

20-02-2019, 23:19

mars2000you wrote:

Take a look at this Japanese page (and search for Yamaha) : http://www.ascat.jp/tg/tgd5.html

Note: Infos of this site seem to be different...

Google translation :

     10 YAMAHA

● Type name and applicable model
  type manufacturer Maker model name Slot
 YAMAHA 1 YA 1 YAMAHA FD - 05 (extended drive)

● Various data
  FDC Work area length work area length
 8876 series 10 bytes 6 KB

 Supported media F 8 H to F 9 H 1: F 9 H 2: F 8 H

● In-driver subroutine address
    DSKIO DSKCHG GETDPB CHOICE DSKFMT MTROFF OEMSTA INIHRD DRIVES INIENV
 YA1 74F1H 7865H 78A4H 78E4H 7911H 77D0H 7C14H 77BFH 77F0H 7832H

● Number in disk drive MYSIZE SECLEN DEFDPB
YA1 000AH 0200 H 74D5H

● I / O port

 7FF8H R Status register
    W Command Register
 7FF9H R / W Track Register
 7FFAH R / W Sector Register
 7FFBH R / W Data Register
 7FFCH R FDD Status 1 / - / - / - / - / - - / - / - / SIDE /
    W FDD Control 1/0/0/0/0/0/0/0 / SIDE /
7FFDH R FDD Status 2 / MOT / - / - / - / - / - / IUC / DS /
     W FDD Control 2 / MOT / ? /? /? /? /? / IUC / DS /
7FFEH W FDD Control 3 ? /? /? / ? /? /? /? /? /
 7FFFH R FDC status / - DRQ / - IRQ / TE / - / - / - / - / - /

  TE timer enable
  IUC iN USE signal control and a timer set
  SIDE side select
  DS drive select
  MOT writes the state 0 of motor also motor continues to while working, while
             the read this bit 1 It is read out.
  -DRQ Inversion of DRQ signal of
  FDC -IRQ Inversion of IRQ signal of FDC

That seems practically the same as the Philips FDC (as we call it in openMSX), so it's not surprising it *almost* works. Just get an error after formatting. Reading and writing files work fine. So there must be some subtle difference.

Perhaps it's in the "Timer Enable" bit? Completely unclear to me what that means. Looks like for other interfaces there is a "disk change check timer"... anyway, if someone has an idea, or is willing to debug, please let me know, I can share the XML file I created for it.

Page 2/3
1 | | 3
My MSX profile