Bug on GFX9000 output and title bar window error

Page 1/2

By DrWh0

Hero (621)

DrWh0's picture

05-04-2018, 22:03

Hi

I am not sure if this bug has been posted before, but I haven´t found anything related so I guess both are unknown bugs and I would like to report it.

Both bugs affects openmsx 0.14 and last git version compiled without problems from scratch

The first bug

With any machine, if you add gfx9000 hardware and select as video source GFX9000 (for gfx9000 games) in the emulator (only from catapult as internal GUI simply has not any option for changing video source) when you switch to fullscreen mode the video source returns always to "msx" so you can´t see anything on screen and gfx9000 games can be only played on windowed mode, i have tried all renderers without luck

A workaround that works SOMETIMES is ALT+TAB and change again but most of times when you return to game the source changes again to msx or the resolution screen is broken only works

The second bug

If you launch emulator from catapult in the title bar the version naming is 13.xxx instead of 14 but if you launch openmsx.exe directly the correct version number appears

Hope I have been helpful

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (14325)

Manuel's picture

05-04-2018, 22:08

The 2nd one is not a bug, it means you are launching a different version of openMSX with that Catapult. You somehow have it still installed somewhere and Catapult is configured to launch it... Check your Catapult configuration settings (Settings -> Edit Configuration).

About full screen: there are several issues with full screen. This will be solved when we move to 'software full screen' instead of native full screen. But that can take a while before we get to that.

By Grauw

Enlighted (7203)

Grauw's picture

05-04-2018, 22:10

Hi DrWho,

I recommend to use the video9000 extension; then software and games which support it will automatically change video source.

By DrWh0

Hero (621)

DrWh0's picture

08-04-2018, 21:02

Hi Grauw

Disgracefully video9000 fails in a few of games, specially Kai Magazine´s ones (old gfx9000 ones works great)

By Grauw

Enlighted (7203)

Grauw's picture

08-04-2018, 21:11

You can always still select the video source manually in that case.

Btw, I hope Kai reads this and fixes it for his future games Smile.

By DrWh0

Hero (621)

DrWh0's picture

08-04-2018, 22:12

Manuel

I used always a clean installation (first thing I tried), and this is why I say is a bug:

I already investigated where the bug comes from and I discovered that catapult child entries in registry folder;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\openMSX team

And configurations does not have in mind the version of openmsx installed in the upper directory instead of running ..\openmsx in relative path the program uses absolute paths, it would be okay if the launcher asked for its current directory and look in the upper level of folder for the openmsx.exe executable

Catapult DOES NOT CHECK THIS and uses first installed and scanned configuration so you cannot have multiple versions of openmsx in different folders on same user because only launch the executable pointed in the first installed path

So you can add another issue on the list of catapult bugs

By Manuel

Ascended (14325)

Manuel's picture

08-04-2018, 23:05

You can configure in catapult what the location of the openMSX executable is, as I tried to explain earlier. By default, I think it uses the installation location as configured with the installer. Are you using the installer?

I don't really understand what you think is a bug. Perhaps you have different expectations than what we implemented? Can you explain once more?

By DrWh0

Hero (621)

DrWh0's picture

09-04-2018, 19:17

Manuel wrote:

You can configure in catapult what the location of the openMSX executable is, as I tried to explain earlier. By default, I think it uses the installation location as configured with the installer. Are you using the installer?

I don't really understand what you think is a bug. Perhaps you have different expectations than what we implemented? Can you explain once more?

I think is a bug because forces to use ONLY ONE VERSION OF CATAPULT&OPENMSX and also can cause conflicts with previous existing versions on separate drive or folders, and I don´t use the installer exactly to avoid this kind of problems, in linux i can only have one version of course (multiple if I use tweaked snaps or dockers) but in windows you can have a problem with this, for example if you installed a version two years ago for a specific portable envoirement for one game/program configuration, and I have installed the last one for normal use (with or without installer) you have a conflict without knowing it due to the another installation or viceversa.

This can cause in the future (and causes) problems for an user that have an existing installation (installed via zip) on an unknown/forgotten location and you have an incompatible configuration option with newer versions you will have errors and you will have to restore catapult configuration (and long scanning if you have a lot of bios) also if you have for example 1 shortcouts in the desktop and another in start menu pointing to different versions for multiple purposes you are causing conflicts between those version by a design defect (and you cannot use internal gui to solve this due to its shorcomings neither have an option to switch fullscreen/windows nor firmware function like catapult)

Is so difficult to force a configuration file with all values of catapult in the same directory with relative paths? and avoid innecesary "repairs"

That can permit multiple configurations ready to go without anykind of problem or interference from other installed versions

Manuel I hope have explained myself with these examples Smile

By Manuel

Ascended (14325)

Manuel's picture

09-04-2018, 23:29

It forces you indeed to use a single version of Catapult. But you can still use multiple versions of openMSX, as you were already doing, apparently.

As for the configuration of Catapult, we use the storage mechanism provided by the library we are using (wxWidgets) and on Windows that library uses the registry with fixed keys to store its data.

We have no plans to change that. There won't be a large chance on problems due to this, as development of Catapult is practically completely stopped, so addition of new incompatible settings is quite unlikely and therefore any repairs are also.

The only thing I didn't fully understand in your story is this, please elaborate:

Quote:

neither have an option to switch fullscreen/windows nor firmware function like catapult

By DrWh0

Hero (621)

DrWh0's picture

10-04-2018, 15:54

The most important shortcomings of internal gui:

* No option to enable firmware button on msx machines with it (Turbo R for example)

* Cannot switch to GFX9000/Video9000 video output inside internal osd so basically you cannot see anything from 9000 on screen only the MSX video source so basically cannot use gfx9000 software properly

* No option to go from to full screen/windows mode inside osd (I know that ALT+ENTER exists but there is a lot of problems interacting internal openmsx video library with some operating system video libraries, specially on some desktop enveiroments under Linux or certain drivers in Windows )

* Can be changed the default key or map it to a joystick button in order to access to OSD? , some keyboards, specifically compact keyboards dont´s have contextual keys and/or have special functions that avoids using key combinations of that key.

* Some video options are missing like gamma, acuraccy, video source....)

This issues still exists after years of development so I hope this feedback can be useful

By Manuel

Ascended (14325)

Manuel's picture

10-04-2018, 22:26

They exist for years, because no one ever mentioned them, really! At least not as far as I remember.

Could you rank these issues in order of importance?

The full-screen thing: F12 also works. But if there are problems with it, the same problems will also happen when doing it via the OSD menu. So, I don't think it has a lot of added value, the hotkey is much easier to use.

About accessing the menu: in openMSX 0.14.0 there is a button on the top left of the screen to access the OSD menu. It's visible at start up and whenever your cursor is near the top left of the window.

About gamma: this is typically a setting you should only set up once (it just depends on the display you use). Accuracy is a setting that's fairly obsolete. No one probably ever uses a setting different than 'pixel', so adding it only causes clutter. Video source: I understand that one Smile

Anyway, please rank them and I'll see what I can do.

Page 1/2
My MSX profile