Catapult 0.8.1 Linux Mint

By chalky

Resident (39)

chalky's picture

11-03-2013, 01:00

Having successfully installed openMSX and Catapult 0.8.1 on my eeePC701, I started playing with the Video Mode settings (without fully understanding their function). Unfortunately I set the Scaler value to 3 in Fullscreen. Since [I now realise] this requires a screen capable of 960x720 resolution, and the eeePC701 is only capable of 800x480, Catapult now fails with "Couldn't activate renderer SDL: Could not open any screen: No video mode large enough for 960x720". The problem is that because openMSX now won't start I cannot access the Video Mode settings to change them - and uninstalling then reinstalling all openMSX packages has not reset the parameters. Am I stuffed or is there a way of undoing my stupidity?

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (15829)

Manuel's picture

11-03-2013, 12:09

ah, interesting that it behaves like that...

Anyway, you can recover from this situation by either:
1) editing ~/.openMSX/share/settings.xml and removing the line which says < setting id="scale_factor" >3< /setting > (I had to add some spaces before this forum accepts XML...), which changes it back to the default (2).
2) removing the same file (sets all settings back to default)

Any reason you're running 0.8.1 and not the latest? (Perhaps Linux Mint ships which such an old version...)

By chalky

Resident (39)

chalky's picture

11-03-2013, 12:38

Fantastic - thank you - I don't understand why removing and then reinstalling openmsx, openmsx-data and openmsx-catapult didn't cure the problem, but deleting the settings file (even though it looked empty apart from some skeleton xml!) has done the trick.

0.8.1 is what got installed when I ran "aptitude install openmsx-catapult" - I have very limited experience with Linux and am not sure how to get a later version. I saw the 0.9.1 download on sourceforge but as it's for Dingux was unsure whether it would run on Mint (if it will - do I simply copy the archive contents to the appropriate locations?)?

So far I have been unable to create a working Desktop link for 0.8.1 - if someone could explain how I do this in Linux I'd be very grateful.

By chalky

Resident (39)

chalky's picture

11-03-2013, 14:38

Okay - I am now starting to tear [what's left of] my hair out...

I have managed to create a desktop shortcut after adding a .gnome2 script as described on the linuxmint forums. However, when I launched openmsx-catapult using the link - the "Couldn't activate renderer SDL: Could not open any screen: No video mode large enough for 960x720" returned - and catapult now won't run regardless of how I launch it (via the shortcut or directly from /bin) due to the resolution error.

Since there is no longer a settings.xml file in the openmsx directory (which I'm pretty sure had no parameters in it anyway), where the heck is it retrieving this "bad" configuration from?

[Edit]: Well, I have removed openmsx and reinstalled it yet again - but the problem remains. I also tried editing the reinstalled settings.xml file to force catapult to use a value of 2 for the scale_factor (I used the command format in Manuel's post above but with only 1 space [between "setting" and "id"]), but it didn't make any difference. I have clearly broken openmsx beyond repair - and have spent far too long trying to undo my mistake. Would be nice to know what I did though - in the meantime I'll just have to put up with not being able to do any MSX'ing while on anything other than my PC.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5515)

mars2000you's picture

11-03-2013, 14:44

I don't know if it can help, but the Windows version of Catapult adds keys and values in the Windows Registry. Maybe something similar happens on Linux ... Question

By Manuel

Ascended (15829)

Manuel's picture

11-03-2013, 16:45

Are you sure you looked at the correct settings.xml file? It's in your home directory. It's not installed, that's why reinstalling doesn't help. It's just used to preserve your settings...

@mars: this has nothing to do with Catapult.

By chalky

Resident (39)

chalky's picture

11-03-2013, 17:50

@mars - I think I've used confusing terminology in my post: Catapult runs fine - it's openMSX which failed to launch (via Catapult)

@Manuel - you're a star! I was not looking at the correct file - yet it was after I deleted that very (incorrect) file (because that's the one I thought you were talking about in your first post) that openMSX initially launched okay via Catapult... I don't understand that one...

Anyway - I now have a working MSX with desktop launcher on my eeePC701 - yay! I've also learned a little more about Linux - specifically that by default 'hidden' files are set not to show, which explains why - no matter how hard I searched - I did not find anything openMSX-related in Home.

Many thanks for your help! Big smile

By Manuel

Ascended (15829)

Manuel's picture

11-03-2013, 18:56

Good to hear! And no, I have no idea how deleting the other file would have helped. That's quite impossible, I think. Are you sure it happened like that? Perhaps you also did something else?

By Manuel

Ascended (15829)

Manuel's picture

11-03-2013, 21:53

I've just created a fix for this situation for next release. It will automatically reduce scale factor then. Thanks for reporting!

By chalky

Resident (39)

chalky's picture

12-03-2013, 11:21

Great news about the permanent fix!

FYI - I am absolutely sure I did not do anything other than delete the 'wrong' file (my ignorance meant I didn't know what else to try other than removing/reinstalling). I know it's seems implausible that openMSX then ran ok - as the 'bad' settings.xml file would still have been present - but it did, until I ran it via a shortcut on the desktop!

Of course - had I read your original instructions correctly (and not ignored the "." in the path) my issue would have been fixed first time round...