How to remove/stop the time machine bar?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By Fabrizio Caruso

Supporter (5)

Fabrizio Caruso's picture

27-02-2020, 11:04

OpenMSX has a very annoying default feature.
It seems to record everything and there is no clear way to stop it.
This is making coding with OpenMSX very slow. If I click on the bar I see an useless video.
If I then click a key, I am send back a previous status and lose whatever I had done.

Opening the console and using record stop, does not stop this "feature".

What can I do to avoid this?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PlpfueRQxQQxruAHofCHXSx-a1...

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Scribe (5755)

Meits's picture

27-02-2020, 12:36

Fabrizio Caruso wrote:

If I then click a key, I am send back a previous status and lose whatever I had done.

You go back in time but you only lose something if you hit a key of the running MSX. If you let it go or drag the bar to the right again or press F9 to throttle you'll be back to the point where you were and go on from there.
This reverse option is more convenient than irritating. Especially when coding. If you test your program and it crashes, you can go back just before the crash and fix your error without needing to reboot/reload.

By Fabrizio Caruso

Supporter (5)

Fabrizio Caruso's picture

28-02-2020, 09:08

@meits, this is a horrible default feature IMHO. I have lost lots of time because of this time machine. It has happened to me to lose all of my code because I click on the wrong place and press a key by mistake a key. I understand it can be cool but why make it default? I hope the reverse option can disable it.
How can I disable this feature permantently?

By Grauw

Ascended (8746)

Grauw's picture

28-02-2020, 09:11

Fabrizio Caruso wrote:

How can I disable this feature permantently?

Check my links please (RTFM Wink).

By Meits

Scribe (5755)

Meits's picture

28-02-2020, 10:29

Fabrizio Caruso wrote:

It has happened to me to lose all of my code because I click on the wrong place and press a key by mistake a key.

I had it only once, but I feel your pain on that one.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5484)

NYYRIKKI's picture

28-02-2020, 13:45

Meits wrote:
Fabrizio Caruso wrote:

It has happened to me to lose all of my code because I click on the wrong place and press a key by mistake a key.

I had it only once, but I feel your pain on that one.

Been there, done that... The problem gets even worse, if you have mouse connected... In that case you practically destroy you progress the moment you manage to click the bar.

I think it would be much better if there would be a lock icon at end of the bar and user should click it open before he could actually make the machine to time warp.

By FiXato

Scribe (1555)

FiXato's picture

28-02-2020, 13:55

NYYRIKKI wrote:
Meits wrote:
Fabrizio Caruso wrote:

It has happened to me to lose all of my code because I click on the wrong place and press a key by mistake a key.

I had it only once, but I feel your pain on that one.

Been there, done that... The problem gets even worse, if you have mouse connected... In that case you practically destroy you progress the moment you manage to click the bar.

I think it would be much better if there would be a lock icon at end of the bar and user should click it open before he could actually make the machine to time warp.

Well, there is reverse viewonlymode true which would disable truncating the replay if you touch any key while having reversed. I guess with some tweaking of the OnScreenDisplay a button for that could be added.

Do you think that having reverse viewonlymode false set by default would be a decent compromise?

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (590)

Wild_Penguin's picture

28-02-2020, 14:07

FiXato wrote:

Do you think that having reverse viewonlymode false set by default would be a decent compromise?

IMO this would be a sensible option, in the sense it practically prevents data loss from occurring with the default options. Everyone can set their own settings to cater their needs (this is also described in the manual). However sometimes defaults are forgotten to set up and those should be as safe as possible.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5484)

NYYRIKKI's picture

28-02-2020, 14:38

FiXato wrote:

Well, there is reverse viewonlymode true which would disable truncating the replay if you touch any key while having reversed. I guess with some tweaking of the OnScreenDisplay a button for that could be added.

Do you think that having reverse viewonlymode false set by default would be a decent compromise?

Yes, I think OSD button at end of bar to toggle viewonlymode would fix the accidental data loss problem well enough... Default should be reverse viewonlymode true

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3