NMS8245 MODIFIED WITH MFRSCCSD512K ON SLOT 1; EXPANDED SLOT2 WITH FMPAC AND MUSIC MODULE

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

06-11-2015, 17:04

Sorry for the double post .. but I miss the original ones

GOAL DONE
machine .xml config : v9958 on the NMS8245
MFRSCCSD+ on slot 1
Setup of Guillian Stuff with this go.bat OPFXSD
recovery.rom /i34
OPFXSD nextor.rom /i
OPFXSD dskrom.rom /i1
FM-PAC on Slot2 using Catapult
Load a HDD Image using Catapult

GOAL MISSED
machine .xml config : Basic 3 ?
machine .xml config : Slot Expander on slot 2 (or Slot 1 enabled) ?
FMPAC and MUSIC MODULE on slot 2 (or FMPAC in slot 1 and MUSIC MODULE on slot 2) ?
Creating a DSK of 1 or 2 gb where to add my folder stuff. Maybe DISKMANIPULTOR. But is anywhere a Windows Tool to make this? I don't know how to use Disk-Manager to create HDD image in the right way.

PROBLEMS
Open Msx starts veeery slowly whith a big .dsk inserted in MFRSCCSD.
Got a core 2 due 3,2Ghz and it starts after 45 seconds with a 2gb image inserted in

Thanks to you all for the support.

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (18256)

Manuel's picture

06-11-2015, 23:15

giuseve wrote:

machine .xml config : Basic 3 ?

What is the problem here? Finding the suitable ROMs or adjusting the XML file?

Quote:

machine .xml config : Slot Expander on slot 2 (or Slot 1 enabled) ?

You can't do that with Catapult indeed (the Catapult interface is quite simple and thus limited). But on the console (and the commandline) you can give the command 'extb slotexpander'. This will indeed insert a slotexpander in slot 2.

But why does it have to be in slot 2? Is that really important?

There are some (not very user friendly) ways to get this inserted automatically. Let me know if you're interested in that.

Quote:

FMPAC and MUSIC MODULE on slot 2 (or FMPAC in slot 1 and MUSIC MODULE on slot 2) ?

You can't put both in one slot, of course. What do you want to achieve exactly? It shouldn't matter much in which slot they are.

Quote:

Creating a DSK of 1 or 2 gb where to add my folder stuff. Maybe DISKMANIPULTOR. But is anywhere a Windows Tool to make this? I don't know how to use Disk-Manager to create HDD image in the right way.

diskmanipulator should work. But creating in some way any file will work. If you use it in openMSX, you can consider it as an unformatted SD card and handle it like on real MSX.

Quote:

PROBLEMS
Open Msx starts veeery slowly whith a big .dsk inserted in MFRSCCSD.
Got a core 2 due 3,2Ghz and it starts after 45 seconds with a 2gb image inserted in

This is due to the reverse feature. It needs to calculate some checksum to check whether the disk changed. Disabling reverse will solve this, but I can discuss with other devs to see if there's something else we can do about it.
Why do you want to use such a large image anyway? Is that really useful?

Quote:

Thanks to you all for the support.

You're welcome! Smile Thanks for telling us about what you are doing with openMSX.

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

07-11-2015, 09:05

First of all, thanks manuel and sorry for my incompetence.
My idea is to have on openmsx all i use on my real msx to use\test msx stuff in the same condition.
My msx has a slot expander on slot 2 where i use fmpac and music module. How to tell it to openmsx?
My msx has a 2gb microsd with all my stuff on. It would be nice to easy manage a 2gb sd.dsk file. Not only crate it, but easily change its contents when i need, maybe with a draganddrop software in windows. Otherwise simply telling to openmsx to use as hdd\sd the content of a folder of the Pc.
My msx has basic 3 on board. Trying to modify the xml my question is how to modify it and with which rom?
I thought to use the rom of a panasonic msx2+ model, but I don't know if it's the same i have on my philips neither where to put it on the xml.

By Manuel

Ascended (18256)

Manuel's picture

07-11-2015, 22:22

giuseve: it's my pleasure to help you. No need to apologize at all.

Quote:

My msx has a slot expander on slot 2 where i use fmpac and music module. How to tell it to openmsx?

OK, so if you really want the slotexpander in slot 2, use the extb command in the console. If you want to do this every time at startup, you'll have to use something more fancy like a script to do it for you (see below). Catapult can't do it for you, it's too simplistic for that. However, I just noticed there's a bug in openMSX: extb slotexpander doesn't put the slotexpander in slot 2 at all... so we'll have to fix this, see https://github.com/openMSX/openMSX/issues/979

Another way you could try is the following:

1. start openMSX
  2. pause (Pause key)
  3. open the console (F10)
  4. Type command: machine My_Phililps_NMS_8245 (actually the machine config XML file name of your modified 8245, which I do not know)
  5. Type command: ext MegaFlashROM_SCC+SD (MFRSCC+SD is now in slot 1, as that's the first free slot)
  6. Type command: ext slotexpander (slotexpander is now in slot 2, as that's the first free slot)
  7. Type command: ext fmpac (fmpac is now in slot 2-0 (as that's the first free slot now))
  8. Type command: ext Philips_NMS_1205 (Music Module is now in slot 2-1 (you know why))
  9. Type command: hda /path/to/your/first/SD-card-image (SD card image inserted in SD interface)
  10. Type command: savestate mycool8245config This makes a savestate with a configuration you wanted.

Just always load this savestate if you want to use that particular configuration....

It's just a wild idea, I don't really use openMSX like that. It may give problems with the SD image, openMSX may complain that it has changed since the savestate was made and that it made it read only to be safe. That would make it not very usable, I guess.

If you want to work around that, you can still create a simple Tcl script which has all these commands:

machine My_Philips_NMS8245
ext MegaFlashROM_SCC+SD
ext slotexpander
ext fmpac
ext Philips_NMS_1205
hda /path/to/your/first/SD-card-image

Save it as startmy8245.tcl or something (use .tcl extension).
You can run this script in several ways:

1. drag and drop it on openMSX.exe and openMSX will start up with your configuration :)
  2. open the console and type: source /path/to/startmy8245.tcl (use the real path to your script of course)

You can of course also make a hot key for option 2, to save yourself from typing it all the time. Something like bind F6 "source /path/to/startmy8245.tcl". After you did that, you can hit F6 to start your favourite 8245.

If you don't like the script file you can also bind it as follows:
bind F6 "machine My_Philips_NMS8245; ext MegaFlashROM_SCC+SD; ext slotexpander; ext fmpac; ext Philips_NMS_1205; hda /path/to/your/first/SD-card-image"

Alternatively, you can also modify your 8245 configuration even more, to have a *built in* slotexpander and MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD, fmpac and Music Module. But then you cannot remove them at run time anymore. But if that's not what you intend to do it is probably a simpler solution. You can look at some examples of how this is done in the configuration XML files of the Boosted machines.

Quote:

My msx has a 2gb microsd with all my stuff on. It would be nice to easy manage a 2gb sd.dsk file. Not only crate it, but easily change its contents when i need, maybe with a draganddrop software in windows. Otherwise simply telling to openmsx to use as hdd\sd the content of a folder of the Pc.

Sorry, I don't think there is currently software available that can manipulate hard disk images which are compatible with the MFRSCC+SD. At some point we should make diskmanipulator more flexible to also support this, but currently it's not supported. I can't help you here. And 'dir-as-hdd' is not supported (yet) either.

Quote:

My msx has basic 3 on board. Trying to modify the xml my question is how to modify it and with which rom?
I thought to use the rom of a panasonic msx2+ model, but I don't know if it's the same i have on my philips neither where to put it on the xml.

Simplest way is probably to dump the ROMs of your 8245 yourself. Use getrom.bin as described here: http://bifi.msxnet.org/msxnet/utils/saverom.html

To use them in openMSX, put the dumped ROM images in the share/systemroms folder as described here: http://openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#installrom

Create sha1sums for the ROM images you got with getrom.bin: see http://openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#romchecksums In other words: use the sha1sum tool to create these. Then put them in the sha1 tags in the configuration XML file of your 8245 machine.
So, the one in slot 0 is the BASIC/BIOS ROM. In your config replace the sha1 value of the one you dumped in the rom tag that has the filename nms8245_basic-bios2.rom and remove the other rom tags for slot 0.
The same for the subROM in slot 3-0: put your own subrom dump's sha1sum in a sha1 tag in the nms8245_msx2sub.rom entry and remove the other sha1 tag. Also remoeve the other rom tags for the "MSX Sub ROM" ROM in slot 3-0.

That should do it. If you also have a modified disk ROM, do the similar thing for the ROM in slot 3-3.

I hope this helps.

Any more questions?