openMSX 0.15 bug

By PingPong

Prophet (3229)

PingPong's picture

15-02-2019, 18:56

hello just downloaded openmsx win64 binary (zip).
I've found a very strange bug. It's so weird that is hard to explain using words.

It does appear as if is not a openmsx bug, but some kind of hw failure in the emulated machine. To be more clear seeing the strange behaviour on a real machine would not have surprised me, (I would have thought, hardware failure, VDP or VRAM) but openmsx does not have hw failures!!!!!! [img][/img]
the first image is a standard CBIOS msx2 setup. notice the two striped lines on the top of the logo with various pixels colors.
the second should be the screen that appear when there is no ROM.
I've also tryed with a standard msx2 machine that usually boot in screen 0. It does boot but i get corruption in pattern name table

I've also got this message on openmsx stdout
Unknown mapper types in software database: ColecoMegaCart (18x);
any idea?

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (15287)

Manuel's picture

15-02-2019, 20:19

That means that openMSX doesn't recognize the mappers it should. That mapper type was added to openMSX 0.15.0, so it should be recognized.

I would first recommend to remove openMSX completely and then do a reinstall, with the installer. Perhaps the zip file is not OK?

By PingPong

Prophet (3229)

PingPong's picture

15-02-2019, 21:17

Very bad things... just tryed the installer on a clean directory. no change at all...
Very Very Very bad thing i've downgraded to 0.13 (that i knew ran without issues on the same machine.....): THE ISSUE IS STILL HERE!!! What in the hell?

But accounting this i can most probably see that is not a openMSX bug.....
i will try with a aleste rom, just to see what is happening then a ubuntu version.... keep tuned.

By PingPong

Prophet (3229)

PingPong's picture

15-02-2019, 22:08

Another update: on ubuntu works fine no issues.
to me it is still a mistery. i'm using a windows seven machine that had no problem at all... before. running aleste others strange things happens, artifacts, no-sprite rendering at all (like if one disabled sprite rendering)
may be sdl related?

By Vampier

Prophet (2285)

Vampier's picture

15-02-2019, 22:14

remove both the openMSX directories from the install dir and your documents dir. I created a clean windows VM to test openMSX on as well on my personal laptop and all worked fine after the compile.

By PingPong

Prophet (3229)

PingPong's picture

15-02-2019, 22:29

For me the vm option is not so easy
What kind of openmsx informations hold on the documents directory?
Actually both 64 & 32 builds are not working

By Manuel

Ascended (15287)

Manuel's picture

16-02-2019, 00:06

Something on your system is very wrong. Are you sure you removed all openMSX stuff from your Documents directory?

By PingPong

Prophet (3229)

PingPong's picture

16-02-2019, 00:31

thx for the hint- rechecked and brutally removed the contents. now last version works fine.
I still have to figure out how this could affect and create the weird behaviour.
anyway thanks a lot, manuel & C.

happy to see that was not a openmsx bug

By Vampier

Prophet (2285)

Vampier's picture

16-02-2019, 17:52

I brought up the VM thing to let you know that the release was thoroughly tester before I sent it off into the wild Smile I build the openMSX windows releases.

My MSX profile