Small issues with openMSX 0.14.0

Page 1/2

By Parn

Champion (304)

Parn's picture

17-06-2018, 16:09

I wonder if these were previously reported. If so, I'm sorry for double-posting, but I couldn't find references to them.

1. Old one on Windows: after installing, the installer tell us to put System ROMs on %USERPROFILE%\openMSX\share\systemroms. Never could make this work, it seems to work only if we put them on %ProgramFiles%\openMSX\share\systemroms or %ProgramFiles(x86)%\openMSX\share\systemroms.
  2. Recently, openMSX (64-bit Windows version) started being detected as malicious software by both my personal antivirus (BitDefender) and my workplace's antivirus (Symantec); it's something called Gen:Variant.Razy.327172 on my personal computer and something else (can't remember) on my workplace's computer. The 32-bit version doesn't seem to have this problem. Maybe it would be advisable to check the compilations, just in case.

These issues are rather small and I can work around them, but I'm hoping they can be easily solved. I love openMSX, a big thank you to the team for all the hard work. Smile

Login or register to post comments

By DRomero

Resident (56)

DRomero's picture

17-06-2018, 19:24

I have exactly the same problems with the 2 points. GData Antivirus put openMSX executable on quarantine. I have to put an exception on openMSX folder.

The systemrom location is a little confusing at best. I solved my problem putting them on program files as well.

Using Windows 10 x64.

Regards.

By Manuel

Ascended (14573)

Manuel's picture

17-06-2018, 21:26

1. [PersonalFolder]openMSX\share\systemroms says the installer script. Can you open the openMSX console (F10) and type this: puts $env(OPENMSX_USER_DATA) and tell me what it says, please? It will point you to the personal share folder that openMSX will use. If you put a systemroms in there with the system roms in it, it should definitely work. I'd like to know whether it's different than what the installer says.
2. Recently means with recent virusscanners or with recent openMSX development builds?

By Damien12

Supporter (1)

Damien12's picture

17-06-2018, 23:05

I also have the same problem since i installed 0.14.0 today

By Philip

Champion (358)

Philip's picture

17-06-2018, 23:05

1. Should be %USERPROFILE%\Documents\openMSX\share\systemroms
Seems like a good place, easy to find Smile

2. Both 0.14.0 and the recent development builds work fine on win10 x64 with eset nod32...

By Manuel

Ascended (14573)

Manuel's picture

17-06-2018, 23:18

About 1: yes, it's also in the manual here: http://openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#romlocation
Basically, it's what Windows returns to the API call SHGetSpecialFolderPathW(nullptr, bufW, CSIDL_PERSONAL, TRUE) :) See https://github.com/openMSX/openMSX/blob/master/src/file/File...

By Parn

Champion (304)

Parn's picture

18-06-2018, 02:47

I see, it's like @Philip said. It's just the installer that gives the wrong info. Can't believe I didn't stumble on this before, since it's the same path where openMSX writes its sound logs and screenshots. Should be easy enough to correct the installer on a future version. Smile

About the probably false virus alert, only the x64 version (release build) seems to be affected. I installed the 0.14.0 x86 version and the antivirus didn't mind. This happened after an antivirus update on both my personal and my workplace computers, and I got a bit alarmed because they are different antivirus programs, so at first I though it could be serious.

Anyway, you all were most useful, thank you @Manuel and everybody else very much! Big smile

By Manuel

Ascended (14573)

Manuel's picture

18-06-2018, 07:31

Can you submit the file that shows the threat as false positive to your virus scanner supplier?

By Manuel

Ascended (14573)

Manuel's picture

18-06-2018, 13:12

I did so for F-secure and they responded:

Quote:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our analysis indicates that the file you submitted is clean.

We have identified the issue as a False Positive, which will be resolved in an upcoming database update.

In the meantime, you may exclude this file from further scanning by the security product.

By Manuel

Ascended (14573)

Manuel's picture

18-06-2018, 18:04

Parn wrote:

I see, it's like @Philip said. It's just the installer that gives the wrong info.

Strange, according to Microsoft, "PersonalFolder" does refer to the Documents folder: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370905%28VS.85%29...

By Philip

Champion (358)

Philip's picture

18-06-2018, 23:37

Manuel is right. I just tried the 0.14.0 installer, and it actually says: C:\Users\Philip\Documents\openMSX\share\systemroms

Page 1/2
My MSX profile