SVI-328 can not read SVI-cas file on some platforms

By cclinus

Supporter (5)

cclinus's picture

14-06-2018, 15:56

Hi,
I had tried openMSX on different platforms. Not all platforms can read SVI-cas file.
Here is what I found.
openMSX can not read SVI-cas file on below platforms:
1) WIN 7 32bit, openMSX 0.14.0
2) RetroPie 4.4, openMSX 0.14 (I guess)
3) Android 7.0, openMSX 0.14

openMSX can read SVI-cas file on below platform:
1) Raspbian Stretch , openMSX 0.14.0(.deb)

I hope openMSX can read SVI-cas on all platforms.
I had used castool (from MAME) to convert the cas file to wav .
All openMSX can read this wav file, so I think the data of cas file is good.
There is just format issue.

The cas file is downloaded from http://samdal.com/svsoftware.htm

Thanks for supporting SVI !

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (14676)

Manuel's picture

14-06-2018, 22:08

There is no difference between platforms, openMSX cannot read SVI CAS on any platform, it is simply not supported. For SVI use a WAV file, which works fine as you already discovered.

(So I wonder how you got an SVI to read a CAS on Raspbian Stretch!)

By cclinus

Supporter (5)

cclinus's picture

15-06-2018, 15:20

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your reply.
After reading your reply, I tried to load more SVI-cas files on Raspbian and found that all work fine. Very interesting!
But I must admit that this copy of openMSX is not downloaded from official site.
I downloaded it from this site: http://misapuntesde.com/post.php?id=843
Is it possible to port this feature to other openMSX? Please!

Thanks!

By Manuel

Ascended (14676)

Manuel's picture

15-06-2018, 23:39

It can only be ported if there is source code. I don't see anything about this guy having changed the source code. He only seems to have compiled it. If you find the code that adds support for SVI CAS files, I will certainly take a look at it. But as far as I understand, the guy on misapuntesde.com just compiled the official 0.14.0 source code.

By cclinus

Supporter (5)

cclinus's picture

16-06-2018, 04:47

Hi,
Oh I see.
Thanks!

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5020)

NYYRIKKI's picture

16-06-2018, 11:03

Indeed openMSX does not support natively SVI-3x8 CAS-files because no one on MSX community has bothered to figure out how the encoding of the audio actually works. It does not work quite like in MSX.

What you have seen is probably a little TCL-script that I made to bypass this problem. I think most of the openMSX distros have this text file in the "scripts"-folder and if they don't you may copy it there. The Idea of it is that it simply takes the bytes from CAS-file and passes them to emulated machine like they would have been loaded from cassette. The end result is that CAS-files load way too fast to be realistic, but currently it is the only way to load cassettes at all.

You can get more information / see if you have this script by typing "help casload" on console
To enable the script as default cassette handler, try "set fast_cas_load_hack_enabled true" & "save_settings"

Edit: BTW since openmsx does not see SVI CAS-file as valid MSX CAS-file (that it is not) you can insert the cassette only after starting the emulator.

By CASDuino

Resident (61)

CASDuino's picture

16-06-2018, 13:06

SVI CAS files are similar to Dragon CAS files and should be easy enough to do but not that much call for it.

I have tried to add it to CASDuino but because of the similarity to Dragon CAS files it actually gets confused between the two and creates errors.

By cclinus

Supporter (5)

cclinus's picture

19-06-2018, 13:22

Hi NYYRIKKI,

Thanks for your explanation.
I will try it out.

Thanks!

By cclinus

Supporter (5)

cclinus's picture

21-06-2018, 15:10

Hi NYYRIKKI,

You are right.
After setting fast_cas_load_hack_enabled, all platforms can read SVI-cas file.
The behaviour of openMSX on Raspbian is same as other platforms.

Thanks!

My MSX profile