SVI-707 problems

Page 3/7
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

30-05-2018, 20:45

Manuel wrote:

If the MSX can understand both floppy formats you could copy the file from an MSX-DOS floppy to the CP/M floppy on the (emulated) MSX.

The problem is I know nothing about how to use the MSX machines. I got my first Spectravideos in the spring of 2010 and tried The Goonies cartridge back then to verify that the SVI-728 works. That required no user skills whatsoever. After that, I haven't really touched any MSX machines, physical or emulated, except to load some cartridge games. You see, I only know something about Linux.

My questions:

1) If I boot to MSX-DOS, does it know how to write a file to a CP/M file formatted floppy?
2) If yes, do you know of any Linux tools to handle those MSX-DOS "virtual" floppies? In other words, if I create a zero-filled file with dd to begin with, how do I create MSX-DOS file system on it, and how do I copy the WS.COM to it?

In any case, I am afraid my Wordstar experiment is doomed to fail. I believe the WS.COM I have is for KayPro (or something), so it probably won't work with Spectravideo CP/M? I just don't know.

By Philip

Champion (315)

Philip's picture

30-05-2018, 21:27

Something like:
mkfs.vfat -F 12 -n label floppyimagefile

The only thing is the MSX doesn't like booting a pc boot sector so it will usually just hang when attempting to boot this image. It's probably easiest to download a msxdos image and loop mount it and copy your files:
mount -o loop floppyimagefile /mountpoint

By Manuel

Ascended (14326)

Manuel's picture

30-05-2018, 22:03

You can use the diskmanipulator of openMSX to create MSX-DOS disk images and import files on it.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 00:28

Manuel wrote:

You can use the diskmanipulator of openMSX to create MSX-DOS disk images and import files on it.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I managed to convert IMD into a working MSXDOS17.DMK and can now boot to MSX-DOS with it. I pressed F10 and:

set power off
diskmanipulator import diska /tmp/WS.COM

Then I pressed F10 again and closed openMSX. It must have written some data to the MSX-DOS boot disk, but the emulated machine no longer boots with it, just giving BOOT ERROR.

Before that failed attempt, I tried to create another floppy:

set power off
diskmanipulator create image.dsk 720
virtual_drive image.dsk
diskmanipulator import virtual_drive /tmp/WS.COM

Then I compiled dsk2dmk.cc from openMSX/Contrib and created image.dmk using it. I booted with the MSX-DOS boot disk, and tried to swap disks:

diska eject
diska image.dmk

After that

dir

complains something about failure, Abort, Retry, Ignore.

Even if this worked out, and I could see WS.COM in MSX-DOS, I probably would not know how to copy it to a CP/M floppy using Spectravideo SVI-728. Maybe I am one of the few persons who have ever attempted to run Wordstar on SVI-728/SVI-707/OpenMSX emulation. Based on the forum posts, Manuel got the SVI-707 emulation working just about two years ago, so maybe not many people have tried to do these things at all.

It was my original intention to get Wordstar up and running, and clearly document each step on my webpage. I expected that it would be a matter of few hours of work, but it seems that I cannot achive the original goal of running Wordstar.

By Manuel

Ascended (14326)

Manuel's picture

31-05-2018, 07:25

I don't think diskmanipulator works with DMK files, only with plain disk images. Plain disk images with MSX-DOS can be used directly without converting to DMK.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 12:50

Manuel wrote:

I don't think diskmanipulator works with DMK files, only with plain disk images. Plain disk images with MSX-DOS can be used directly without converting to DMK.

I now tried with the plain DSK file created with the diskmanipulator.

strings image.dsk | grep -i wordstar

shows that Wordstar COM-files are there. I imported the whole directory onto a 360K floppy image. Then I boot to MSX-DOS and:

diska eject
diska image.dsk

But when I type DIR, I get the Abort, Retry, Ignore complaint.

By Manuel

Ascended (14326)

Manuel's picture

31-05-2018, 19:22

Try to import only WS.COM there. Probably it already runs from MSX-DOS too, as it runs (most?) CP/M programs.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 19:40

Manuel wrote:

Try to import only WS.COM there. Probably it already runs from MSX-DOS too, as it runs (most?) CP/M programs.

I have tried that, too. MSX-DOS just does not like the floppy image created by diskmanipulator.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5287)

mars2000you's picture

31-05-2018, 22:09

I'm not an openMSX expert, but iirc the diskmanipulator creates an image that is formatted in the MSX-DOS 2 format. Maybe the incompatibility is there, the image should be in the MSX-DOS format for having Wordstar finally launched.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 22:09

So, to be clear, this issue so far has nothing to do with Wordstar. I cannot present *any* file to MSX-DOS or CP/M. After I eject the boot disks, things go wrong. But if I eject the non-working floppy images and reinsert the boot disk, DIR command succeeds.

Page 3/7
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
My MSX profile