SVI-707 problems

Page 4/7
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 22:12

mars2000you wrote:

I'm not an openMSX expert, but iirc the diskmanipulator creates an image that is formatted in the MSX-DOS 2 format. Maybe the incompatibility is there, the image should be in the MSX-DOS format for having Wordstar finally launched.

You may well be right. I am using MSX-DOS boot image for SVI-728/SVI-707 and I believe it is MSX-DOS 1.

But in any case, I would like to use CP/M, not MSX-DOS...

By Manuel

Ascended (14676)

Manuel's picture

31-05-2018, 22:23

krazyminer, I'm not sure what you're doing. But this works fine for me:

1. created a folder with msxdos.sys and command.com
2. started openMSX in this folder
3. open console
4. diskmanipulator create ../image.dsk 360
5. diska ../image.dsk
6. diskmanipulator import diska .
7. reset

This was on an MSX2 though, with a standard 3.5" disk drive.

and the MSX starts with MSX-DOS.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 22:38

This is what I do, I am not sure if it is right or not:

echo hello > /tmp/hello.txt
openmsx -machine Spectravideo_SVI-728

[PRESS F10]

set power off
diskmanipulator create /tmp/image.dsk 360
virtual_drive /tmp/image.dsk
diskmanipulator import virtual_drive /tmp/hello.txt

[PRESS F10]
Close OpenMSX emulator

To boot MSX-DOS:

openmsx -machine Spectravideo_SVI-728 -ext Spectravideo_SVI-707 -diska MSXDOS17.DMK

[PRESS F10]

diska eject
diska /tmp/image.dsk

[PRESS F10]
DIR

and end up with:

Disk error reading drive A
Abort, Retry, Ignore

With CP/M, the best result I have had is "NO FILE".

By Manuel

Ascended (14676)

Manuel's picture

31-05-2018, 23:09

I guess the SVI-707 can't read 3.5" disk images with 80 tracks, 9 sectors per track and 512 bytes per sector.
What if you also add a Sony HBD-F1 diskdrive? Then copy from C: (the Sony in the higher slot) to A: drive (the SVI-707 in a lower slot) or so.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 23:11

Manuel wrote:

I guess the SVI-707 can't read 3.5" disk images with 40 tracks, 9 sectors per track and 512 bytes per sector.
What if you also add a Sony HBD-F1 diskdrive? Then copy from C: (the Sony in the higher slot) to A: drive (the SVI-707 in a lower slot) or so.

Man, I first tried:

openmsx -machine Spectravideo_SVI-728 -ext Spectravideo_SVI-707 -diska ../koe/4/MSXDOS17.DMK -ext Sony_HBD-F1

[PRESS F10]
diskb /tmp/image.dsk
[PRESS F10]

c:
dir
No file found! And before the "diskb" command I got Abort, Retry, Ignore!

But when I start openMSX with:

openmsx -machine Spectravideo_SVI-728 -ext Spectravideo_SVI-707 -diska ../koe/4/MSXDOS17.DMK -ext Sony_HBD-F1 -diskb /tmp/image.dsk
dir c:

shows HELLO.TXT is there! This works:

copy c:hello.txt a:

I will next copy all the WS.COM and related files. We're making some progress here now!

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

31-05-2018, 23:30

All right! I have the Wordstar files in:

Wskpro33.zip

I got it from site:

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm

So it should be Wordstar 3.3. I copied all the files to A-drive (emulateedSVI-707) and switched to A-drive. Then:

WINSTALL

starts the installer and it looks very promising, but for some reason, it later claims this is installer is for 3.3 series and claims this is not it. But this probably proves MSX-DOS runs these properly? So many thanks!

However, I still have this obsession about running utilies on CP/M. How could we create a CP/M disk image that SVI-707 understands??? Surely it can be done, because the CP/M boot disk works! I would not want to give up on this, but do not know how to proceed.

By Manuel

Ascended (14676)

Manuel's picture

31-05-2018, 23:51

You can copy that CP/M boot disk DMK file and use it as a blank disk, after removing all files Smile

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

01-06-2018, 00:57

Manuel wrote:

You can copy that CP/M boot disk DMK file and use it as a blank disk, after removing all files Smile

Right, but I was being unclear. It is not enough to have the image alone, we need a way to transfer files on it. Here are the cpmtools:

http://www.moria.de/~michael/cpmtools/

They are cross-platform, so they should work on both Linux and Windows. I am hoping we could find the right parameters for mksfs.cpm tool. It is my guess that those tools generate proper CP/M file systems. This belief is based on the fact that the source code is pretty old. I would suppose most of the bugs have been eliminated. So maybe it is just a matter of finding the right parameters? I sure hope so and will keep on trying.

By krazyminer

Resident (33)

krazyminer's picture

01-06-2018, 15:44

krazyminer wrote:

So maybe it is just a matter of finding the right parameters? I sure hope so and will keep on trying.

Holy shit! I finally got the CP/M disk image for SVI MSX working after so much head banging! I cannot believe, I was a nervous wreck!

Here is the working diskdefs for SVI MSX. I will submit it to the cpmtools maintainer in case he wants to include it in the next release:

diskdef svi
seclen 256
tracks 40
sectrk 17
blocksize 2048
maxdir 64
skew 0
boottrk 3
os 2.2
end

And here is the shell script I used for testing alternatives:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/cpmfloppy${1} bs=1 count=$((170 * 1024))
mkfs.cpm -f svi /tmp/cpmfloppy${1}
cpmcp -f svi -t /tmp/cpmfloppy${1} /tmp/hello.txt 0:hello.txt
cpmls -f svi -d /tmp/cpmfloppy${1}
fsck.cpm -f svi /tmp/cpmfloppy${1}

Finally, you will need to compile this from openMSX git source tree:

openMSX/Contrib/dmk/svicpm2dmk.cc

On Linux, just this simple command will do it:

g++ -o /tmp/svicp2dmk svicpm2dmk.cc

openMSX requires the DMK conversion, but it works!

My next problem is that the Wordstar file set is too big for this 170KB floppy. I tried removing some files before copying them on the CP/M image, but I removed files that were needed. But the installer runs on CP/M, whoaaa!!!! Smile

By rderooy

Champion (345)

rderooy's picture

01-06-2018, 23:11

Great news!

The question now is, does this also work with the SVI-738 which also can run CP/M, but using a 1DD 3.5" disk type.
https://www.msx.org/wiki/Spectravideo_SVI-738

Otherwise you should perhaps have called it diskdef svi707 to distinguish between the two..

Page 4/7
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7
My MSX profile