Using openMSX with GFX9000

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

01-08-2017, 14:31

Hi! Yesterday i installed OpenMSX because i need the v9990 in emulation for testing, as we have plans to support the pattern mode as well in SymbOS. At the moment technobytes is helping us to develop a v9990 for the CPC machine as well. There for we have the idea to make a game- mode, which will work on both z80 systems.

OpenMSX, seems the way to go, as it is the only one that supports the v9990, which is very cool!
So yesterday i tried to install it and SymbOS in GFX9000 mode seems to work fine in openMSX, But the only thing is that the Windows mouse is not at the same place as the MSX mouse. Is it possible to align it ?

Login or register to post comments

By wouter_

Champion (384)

wouter_'s picture

01-08-2017, 19:42

edoz wrote:

... the Windows mouse is not at the same place as the MSX mouse. Is it possible to align it ?

For that openMSX would have to know details about how every (current and future) MSX program controls the MSX mouse pointer. This can't be implemented in general.
However the mouse section in the openMSX manual explains a workaround that gives you something close to what you want, using the grabinput setting and the escape_grab command.

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

01-08-2017, 20:32

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. If i read that part of the manual it seems exactly my issue, probably because, I'm not running in full screen. I used the Catapult to start the MSX session, but it looks those are commands that i can type manually somewhere? I'm using windows. I will try to find that in the manual Wink

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

01-08-2017, 20:33

Cool, it is F10 Big smile this emulator have a quake style console ... how cool

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

01-08-2017, 20:59

Ok, I used F10, to open the console, and i typed "set grapinput true" to enable it. But i still have 2 mouse pointers... one for windows and one SymbOS. But for now it is okay as it seems to work well in full screen. This is the first time i used openMSX.. so sorry to ask.

I also have an other question regarding centering the screen to fit. Is that possible ? It seems that i have some issue here.
(Part of my screen is out of the window.) I know we changed it in SymbOS, (we changed the screen a bit higher because on a Philips monitor it was almost impossible to center it.) So we thought it was our fault. But it seems that OpenMSX is taking the correct position of the center of the screen?

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

21-08-2017, 17:13

After some testing on real hardware, i think there is a bug regarding openMSX and screen center for the 384 and 768 resolution for gfx9000? 512 and 1024 resolutions are fine. I'm talking about the bitmap mode, not pattern mode.

The picture of the screen is to high and not centered. See some screenshots i took from OpenMSX

Prodatron and i did the same test on real hardware. First i took a original MSX monitor and moved the picture to the center on the monitor (using the normal MSX VDP) screen 5 and 7 were fine on the monitor. (and centered)

Then i switched to the V9990 (without adjusting my monitor)
Here the result for 384 resolution, on real hardware the picture was still centered, maybe a bit to low, but probably because of 60 hz, but not like openMSX where the image is to high.

Real hardware:

Prodatron did the same on a flat screen, (which had the same result as a normal MSX philips monitor)

So could it be a problem in openMSX ? (Probably because the 384 and 768 resolutions are less used?)
512 and 1024 have no issue at all.

I did not try the pattern modes, as they are not supported in SymbOS. (We are planning to do this, to make a new game mode, Pattern mode in SymbOS (for v9990), which can be used on the CPC and MSX computer, as currently the v9990 for the CPC is in development by technobytes. Than we can make games which will work on both platforms without change to source code, because of the same OS.)

So, currently I'm testing in openMSX... Could someone confirm that this is a know issue, or is it possible to center the screen in openMSX? i was not able to find it in the documentation.

By Manuel

Ascended (13416)

Manuel's picture

21-08-2017, 20:17

Can you share a HD image with me to verify this issue? Thanks!

By edoz

Paragon (1933)

edoz's picture

22-08-2017, 16:43

Manuel wrote:

Can you share a HD image with me to verify this issue? Thanks!

You can download the image from my private storage share. After starting MSXDOS, please start symgfx9k.com.

Sunrise IDE Image

By Manuel

Ascended (13416)

Manuel's picture

22-08-2017, 19:33

Thanks. With which MSX configuration is this one supposed to be run? It works on an MSXturboR (GT) with GFX9000 and IDE in slot 1. But it is a bit weird. When I select modi by clicking that 'bar', I don't see the mode being updated there in the dialog until I click on 'Apply' That's pretty weird.

By Manuel

Ascended (13416)

Manuel's picture

22-08-2017, 21:45

With your image, when I open the display settings, it seems to be already on the 384 mode. This gives me:

and the 768 mode:

By Manuel

Ascended (13416)

Manuel's picture

22-08-2017, 21:55

Aha, I made these 2 on a Panasonic FS-A1GT, and not on a Philips NMS 8250. On the 8250 config I get the same issue as you! Not sure why yet.
It also works fine on a Sony HB-F900. My guess is that on a 60Hz MSX it works OK, and on a 50Hz, you get the upwards shift. Not sure why yet Smile

On which real hardware did you do the tests?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3
My MSX profile