Using openMSX with GFX9000

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

23-08-2017, 00:02

Wow! Thank you for this intensive testing in depth! I'm not so familiar with OpenMSX! Unfortunately I have only the Philips 8250 in my OpenMSX configuration (beside the default systems) I think catapult was searching for rom files after the installation on my PC and found this config/roms. So this config is what I currently use. I don't have a turbo-r config for testing. The HD image should work on every system as long the IDE is in slot 1. However this can be changed with symsetup.com if needed.

The real hardware I used for my test was also a turbo-r GT, with the same results as your OpenMSX test. Prodatron was probably testing on the OCM.

So that could mean indeed that it is maybe related to the 50/60 hz setting of the gfx9000 itself? I thought that the gfx9000 is set by default in 60 hz (separately from the msx frequency?) not sure about that I have to say.

I could test it on a MSX 8220, I don't own a 8250. Maybe I have the same result as OpenMSX.. Lets try that.

About the text update of the slidebar I noticed this also. I don't have this on real hardware. Not sure why. Probably I have to double check things again to be sure. Could be my fault.

By Manuel

Ascended (13469)

Manuel's picture

23-08-2017, 00:25

If you just get the systemroms of all emulated machines, you can emulate all of them. Take a look here: http://www.msxarchive.nl/pub/msx/emulator/openMSX/

Tell Catapult to try to Test again which hardware works (File -> Test Available Hardware), after unzipping that file in your share/systemroms folder, as explained here: http://openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#installrom

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

23-08-2017, 13:42

Manuel wrote:

If you just get the systemroms of all emulated machines, you can emulate all of them. Take a look here: http://www.msxarchive.nl/pub/msx/emulator/openMSX/

Tell Catapult to try to Test again which hardware works (File -> Test Available Hardware), after unzipping that file in your share/systemroms folder, as explained here: http://openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#installrom

Wow! Thanks! Now i have a huge collection of machines! Indeed, the Turbo-r Seems to working fine here as well in OpenMSX... I hope, when i have time tonight i'm able to test it with real hardware.

By Manuel

Ascended (13469)

Manuel's picture

23-08-2017, 18:46

I hope someone with a 50Hz machine can also verify the behaviour of the shifted screen. Otherwise we still have a bug in openMSX Smile

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

24-08-2017, 11:39

My test was on real hardware. 8220 (Hope that is okay, i don't own a 8250)

First i connected the normal VDP output to the monitor, centered screen. Than i attached the gx9000 to the monitor, and indeed, picture is higher on normal hardware as well. However, i still can see the top part on the screen. (On openMSX it is a little bit higher) .. So, probably it is not a bug. But on a real monitor i can adjust my screen Wink Maybe something like this could be done in OpenMSX as well? (new feature request?)

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

24-08-2017, 13:15

Maybe, we can solve it in SymbOS as well, as it seem the gfx9000 has a setting for this, comparing to set adjust.

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

24-08-2017, 16:58

Ok! Prodatron fixed it at the SymbOS side today. As it should be. OpenMSX was doing it the correct way.
Now we aligned the screen on the most perfect center which works the best on hardware and emulator at the same time. For all resolutions and 50 and 60 hz combinations. (without changing it on the monitor)

Thank you so much for your help and time. Without OpenMSX and you we couldn't find this!

OpenMSX : on 50 hz

Real Machine: on 50 hz

By Manuel

Ascended (13469)

Manuel's picture

24-08-2017, 17:40

Great, glad we could help! Smile

What's the thing about that resolution text display not being updated?

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

24-08-2017, 17:45

Manuel wrote:

That is probably because i used an old version of the SymbOS display controller executable , not sure if that is true.. I still need to check that. Big smile

By edoz

Paragon (1968)

edoz's picture

24-08-2017, 17:50

edoz wrote:
Manuel wrote:

That is probably because i used an old version of the SymbOS display controller executable , not sure if that is true.. I still need to check that. Big smile

I just tested it, and can confirm that it was my fault. I used an old exe file.
Let's continue bug fixing and release that thing Big smile

Page 2/3
1 | | 3
My MSX profile