V9990 and internal VDP images side by side

Page 1/2

By tvalenca

Paladin (705)

tvalenca's picture

07-07-2018, 22:49

I already know that it's not possible to openMSX show two separate windows containing each VDP image separately. So I ask: Is it possible to display the two images side by side?

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (14738)

Manuel's picture

08-07-2018, 00:03

Of course it would be possible, but it would also mean a lot of work in the openMSX code.

In the mean time you could just create a hotkey to quickly switch between the 2 modes. Wouldn't that be almost just as usable?

By Parn

Champion (304)

Parn's picture

08-07-2018, 12:53

I think he means it would be useful to have a way of displaying both video outputs side by side, just like in a real MSX with a common V9990 cartridge. This way you can instantly see whatever you are trying to do. A hotkey is a nice workaround but it can get old fast when you use it dozens of times in a short time.

By Manuel

Ascended (14738)

Manuel's picture

08-07-2018, 13:10

In a real MSX you can only do that with 2 screens. But anyway, I understood him correctly, I think. So my answer is still valid...

Can hot keys get old? Smile Anyway, there's no other way for now. As I said, making 2 displays at the same time would mean a lot of changes to the openMSX code, so that is not likely to happen soon.

By tvalenca

Paladin (705)

tvalenca's picture

08-07-2018, 20:49

don't take me wrong: I still prefer Video9000 approach. the point is I am right now studying V9990 VDP, and best on this case is to have each VDP on its screen. Also, I don't have a functional MSX right now, so I'm using openMSX.

By tvalenca

Paladin (705)

tvalenca's picture

30-08-2018, 14:42

(what I am about to ask is so odd that I probably should had opened another thread instead of asking here)

@Manuel, is there a way to use openMSX console to control BASIC? as in type basic programs/commands on console and don't worry about its outputs (which would may be the same of using openMSX console to send keystrokes to basic, in a similar way catapult does on that "input text" window)

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (2865)

sd_snatcher's picture

30-08-2018, 15:06

Here's a tip for you: if you use the Video9000 extension (instead of the GFX9000), the image of the V9990 will be superimposed over the V99x8. Not exactly the same as you asked, but already saves a lot of hassle.

By Manel46

Champion (309)

Manel46's picture

30-08-2018, 15:20

I vote for the quick key. I have programmed Dreams Puzzle, where it is also referenced on the screen in normal MSX.
It is clear that I had to start the rom with gfx9000 or video9000, to see one thing or the other. It can be changed with a command, which I do not remember. But it is cumbersome.
Manuel, how do you program a key for this? Thank you.

By tvalenca

Paladin (705)

tvalenca's picture

30-08-2018, 15:40

sd_snatcher wrote:

Here's a tip for you: if you use the Video9000 extension (instead of the GFX9000), the image of the V9990 will be superimposed over the V99x8. Not exactly the same as you asked, but already saves a lot of hassle.

I already know that. Still clumsy.

Manel46 wrote:

I vote for the quick key. I have programmed Dreams Puzzle, where it is also referenced on the screen in normal MSX.
It is clear that I had to start the rom with gfx9000 or video9000, to see one thing or the other. It can be changed with a command, which I do not remember. But it is cumbersome.

quick key does the trick as good as Video9000 instead GFX9000. Problem is: I am DEVELOPING, not playing. I need to type things on one screen and see the screen being changed on the other. too clumsy to do with only one screen. MSX BASIC through serial or on openMSX console overlay screen seems interesting now that I think of it.

By tvalenca

Paladin (705)

tvalenca's picture

30-08-2018, 15:40

(sorry doubled post)

By wouter_

Champion (397)

wouter_'s picture

30-08-2018, 18:10

tvalenca wrote:

@Manuel, is there a way to use openMSX console to control BASIC? ... in a similar way catapult does on that "input text" window)

Use the type command for this.
Everything that can be done via catapult can also be done via the openMSX console (because behind the scenes catapult is sending commands to openMSX).

Manel46 wrote:

Via the bind command. For example: bind F6 "cycle videosource"
We don't provide a default hotkey for this because we've run out of keys on the PC keyboard.

Page 1/2
My MSX profile