1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

By Alex

Master (205)

Alex's picture

28-10-2007, 21:53

$188 per machine?
$400.00 for U.S.A. and Canada???
Is this in USD$ or other currencies !?

For a gaming stand of point this could be interesting enough ...

In the USA and Canada, Negroponte has started a 'buy one, get one' program. This goes live on 12 November and will allow those who sign up to buy a laptop for themselves and one for a child in a participating country. See http://www.swift.com/index.cfm?item_id=63582 for details about a speech that Negroponte gave at the SIBOS bankers conference a few weeks ago and in which this new 'buy one, get one' program was mentioned.

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

29-10-2007, 10:15

I'm getting more excited every day. I think it's great Nishi talked about this device on the Tilburg fair in 2001. Therefore, there is a direct link between MSX and this XO laptop......I love it Smile

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

31-10-2007, 21:15

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6216148.html

Libya makes his move away from the XO towards a Microsoft/Intel-supported device. The article is hinting at a Microsoft subsidized system. It looks like some battle is taking place, I'd say.....

By Tanni

Hero (556)

Tanni's picture

01-11-2007, 10:00

<

$200-$188=$12 What will they get more for that?

What are the needs of children in developing countries? Do they really know?

Designed to meet the need of Microsoft to spread Windows always and everywhere!

By cax

Prophet (3736)

cax's picture

01-11-2007, 10:07

Designed to meet the need of Microsoft to spread Windows always and everywhere!

MSX - designed to meet the need of Microsoft to spread MSX-BASIC everywhere! Hannibal

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1902)

AuroraMSX's picture

01-11-2007, 10:25

What are the needs of children in developing countries? Do they really know?Ehm, how about food, shelter, hygiene, education? And guess what: there's no laptop in that list.

Ah well, 2cts wasted...

By LeandroCorreia

Paladin (955)

LeandroCorreia's picture

01-11-2007, 12:43

Ehm, how about food, shelter, hygiene, education? And guess what: there's no laptop in that list.

Ah well, 2cts wasted...

Yes, there is, in education. You cannot educate without paper, pencil and nowadays without a computer (which is the quickest, cheapest and most practical way to search for information, a library or Google?). A laptop would be great for educational software, multimedia presentations, the right kind of games (there´s a 12 years-old girl in my family that loves chess and has no opponent - she needs a computer), puzzles, and of course, Internet access. As I said: if you don´t have money to buy books, at least you can use a computer to download information and read it later, or copy it from someone who has it. Is it boring? Yes, but better than nothing to read at all. And I am not even talking about the logical thinking, organization and many things that you need to force your brain into when you´re learning programming.

I learned much more about geometry with computer magazines than with my math books. And I am sure that any poor kid that enjoys wasting his time with his laptop playing a game will one day at least be tempted to learn how to create them, even with physics, geometry, logics etc. needed to make it come true.

I started my life with computers with the MSX, as many in here, and I am sure about something: Without computers as a daily part of my life, I´d have worse living conditions nowadays. Smile

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

01-11-2007, 14:10

I just came back from Ethiopia visiting some Dorcas projects and I can safely say these XO laptops would do a perfect job there. Education is THE most important issue right now in many African countries. People who still believe there is more need for food, shelter & hygiene don't have a clue about how many developing countries function nowadays. People really don't walk around half naked with flies stuck to their faces.

By Tanni

Hero (556)

Tanni's picture

01-11-2007, 19:38

Latok, what are Dorcas projects?

By [D-Tail]

Ascended (8255)

[D-Tail]'s picture

01-11-2007, 20:12

I just came back from Ethiopia visiting some Dorcas projects and I can safely say these XO laptops would do a perfect job there. Education is THE most important issue right now in many African countries. People who still believe there is more need for food, shelter & hygiene don't have a clue about how many developing countries function nowadays. People really don't walk around half naked with flies stuck to their faces.Even so, then those commercials on telly don't make much sense, do they?

Page 8/13
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13