By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

01-11-2007, 20:13

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9906)

wolf_'s picture

01-11-2007, 20:52

Even so, then those commercials on telly don't make much sense, do they?

Flies, and porridge (with flies) are likely to give ppl the creeps and thus raise more money, of which a part sticks to the organization which collects it. Makes you think what the real reason of such a laptop is..

Whether laptops are really required there or not, primary education -anywhere, including here- shouldn't rely on computers. Even in high-school computers should have a minor or no role at all.

Anyway, all this has been discussed before, little point in bringing it on again.. Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

01-11-2007, 21:30

Not everyone follows every discussion, wolf_. Repeting is a virtue.

By Alex

Master (205)

Alex's picture

01-11-2007, 22:45

Even so, then those commercials on telly don't make much sense, do they?

Flies, and porridge (with flies) are likely to give ppl the creeps and thus raise more money, of which a part sticks to the organization which collects it. Makes you think what the real reason of such a laptop is..

Whether laptops are really required there or not, primary education -anywhere, including here- shouldn't rely on computers. Even in high-school computers should have a minor or no role at all.

Anyway, all this has been discussed before, little point in bringing it on again.. Running Naked in a Field of Flowers
Maybe primary education should not rely on computers but don't forget that we are now living in the internet age and like a few people mentioned already above: the internet is a huge library with lot's of useful info.

Being computer and internet literate is certainly a big asset nowadays and you can not start early enough with learning these skills. From that perspective I sincerely believe that networked computers, like the XO, do belong in primary education. Everywhere. Both in the rich and in the poor countries. This will help close the digital divide that is only further increasing the wealth gap between the 'haves' and the 'haves not', irrespective of the country where they live.

And don't forget one thing: the OLPC project is about One Laptop Per Child. There is no region or country based discrimination in the project name. So as far as I'm concerned, our governments should also seriously look at introducing the XO in primary schools, including defining an educational program that is based on making children computer and internet literate.

By Tanni

Hero (556)

Tanni's picture

03-11-2007, 14:54

As television came up, children were told that past 8 o'clock in the evening, there's nothing for children on TV. Parents were very careful on what their children were allowed to see. Nowadays, there's much more annoying and problematic stuff on TV, at least up to the time I stopped watching TV seven years ago. To my mind, especially young children can get serious mental problems if they're exposed to television and the internet without survaillance.

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

08-11-2007, 10:02

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071106005839&newsLang=en

Mass production of the XO has begun. When you look at the picture, I must say I really like the look of the machine. I will definitely buy one. Or two, for that matter ^_^

I wonder what Nishi his role has been in the device. As Negroponte and Nishi both were commited to the Media Laboratory @ MIT at the time the XO-concept was born, you have to conclude Nishi was at least mentally involved. That's also the reason he talked about the 100$ computer at Tilburg 2001. I strongly believe the XO in fact is the machine it all led to. It's interesting though to see that Nishi is in no way connected to the XO. There is no Nishi-namedropping anywhere. Why has he withdrawn from the project? From an MSX point-of-view this is an interesting question, I think :)

By tfh

Prophet (3015)

tfh's picture

08-11-2007, 10:51

Well, maybe because all mentioned above is a lot of speculation? And the $100 PC isn't something Nishi "invented". This was a subject already talked about for a longer time, and certainly not only the MIT.
Maybe, just maybe, Nishi isn't all that much after all? Sure he is partially responsible for the birth of MSX and we should be very glad that he did. But for the rest .... well...

By Latok

msx guru (3843)

Latok's picture

08-11-2007, 14:57

That is what I'm hinting at, tfh. Fact is both Negroponte and he were members of the Media Laboratory @ MIT at the time the XO-concept was developed. Thanks to a lucky twist of fate, I found myself driving Nishi around Holland in 2001 and I clearly remember him changing all the PC references into MSX references on his sheets Smile So I guess back then, Nishi was trying to 'sell' the 100$ computer to audiences all around the globe. I just wonder what his position was back then. Just one of the MIT-enthousiasts? Or maybe a bit more?

It is of course very funny to conclude that Nishi did manage to transpose certain MSX characteristics onto the 100$ computer concept. You can't deny that.

Let's also keep in mind that the OPLL and PSG references on the sheets were there and those sheets were also used by Nishi in 100$ computer talks he held later that year 2001 in front of other audiences than MSX freaks.

By Tanni

Hero (556)

Tanni's picture

11-12-2007, 10:56

By Yukio

Paragon (1540)

Yukio's picture

11-12-2007, 16:37

It is questionable if Digital Inclusion should be really need.
But if the talking (even digital speaking and MP3 books) would be used, why not just a simple PDA or MP3/MP4 player?
The MP3 player is in the place that old tape recorders were in the past.
Even if a notebook or handheld computer is used for FREE digital books (could be a talkie digital version), old stuff is not much expensive ...
I am sure that a PDA is cool enough for most persons, even today mobile phones already use a OS with GUI and in some cases easy access to (large or micro) memory cards!

Page 9/13
2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13