One chip MSX improvement project

Page 77/118
70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82

By vanfanel

Champion (446)

vanfanel's picture

19-05-2013, 19:22

@Ace: I have disabled modifications by CARO (except the "wave: out std_logic_vector( 9 downto 0 ") modifications) and I have implanted the exact same psg.vhd and psg_wave.psg from your DE0 port.
Now I AGAIN have full PSG noises. So it's something CARO is doing, but I don't know why: he has mainly modified psg.vhd but I just don't understand what he did.

However, EGGERLAND has that high-pitch noise again. So, Ace, do you get the high-pitch noise with EGGERLAND too on the DE0 with the PSG version you are using??

By Ace

Resident (53)

Ace's picture

19-05-2013, 20:15

I haven't run Eggerland on my DE0, but I'll get to that once I finish wiring cartridge slot 1 to my DE0. You say an unmodified 1ChipMSX AY-3-8910 implementation should not have the noise, right?

EDIT: No high-pitched noise here. I think the wave: out std_logic_vector( 9 downto 0 ) is the big issue here as I don't have this. I have wave: out std_logic_vector( 7 downto 0 ) like the real 1ChipMSX.

By caro

Champion (512)

caro's picture

19-05-2013, 20:58

vanfanel wrote:

However, EGGERLAND has that high-pitch noise again.

Change these lines in the file psg_wave.vhd
Noise in EGGERLAND disappear.

--      if (PsgCntChA = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChA = X"000") and (PsgFreqChA /= X"000") then -- fix caro
          PsgEdgeChA <= not PsgEdgeChA;
        end if;
....
--      if (PsgCntChB = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChB = X"000") and (PsgFreqChB /= X"000") then -- fix caro
            PsgEdgeChB <= not PsgEdgeChB;
        end if;
....
--      if (PsgCntChC = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChC = X"000") and (PsgFreqChC /= X"000") then -- fix caro
          PsgEdgeChC <= not PsgEdgeChC;
        end if;
....

By caro

Champion (512)

caro's picture

19-05-2013, 20:57

Ace wrote:

No high-pitched noise here.

Noise in the OCM on DE0 not because it is filtered out of his module PWM.

By x-nen Aivalahostia

Paragon (1473)

x-nen Aivalahostia's picture

19-05-2013, 21:42

@Ace:
"1. Can the 5V rail on the DE0 power two MSX games inserted into two cartridge slots or would I be better off with an external 5V power supply for that?"

I' use the DE1 but i pulg two cardithges both (game master + konami game, floppy controller + midi pac ...) and works fine widhout external power supply. If it works on DE1 on DE0 also

By Ace

Resident (53)

Ace's picture

19-05-2013, 21:59

Thanks for clearing that up, X-nen.

And now I have a problem. My 21.47727MHz clock circuit has malfunctioned. I'm gonna try something different now with a 53.6931MHz 4-pin oscillator hooked up to the DE0. However, I'm a bit stumped with this line in pll4xd0.vhd:

inclk0_input_frequency => 20000,

This is for the on-board 50MHz clock on the DE0, but what if I want to use a 53.6931MHz oscillator instead? What would 20000 need to be changed to?

By vanfanel

Champion (446)

vanfanel's picture

20-05-2013, 01:10

caro wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

However, EGGERLAND has that high-pitch noise again.

Change these lines in the file psg_wave.vhd
Noise in EGGERLAND disappear.

--      if (PsgCntChA = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChA = X"000") and (PsgFreqChA /= X"000") then -- fix caro
          PsgEdgeChA <= not PsgEdgeChA;
        end if;
....
--      if (PsgCntChB = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChB = X"000") and (PsgFreqChB /= X"000") then -- fix caro
            PsgEdgeChB <= not PsgEdgeChB;
        end if;
....
--      if (PsgCntChC = X"000") then
        if (PsgCntChC = X"000") and (PsgFreqChC /= X"000") then -- fix caro
          PsgEdgeChC <= not PsgEdgeChC;
        end if;
....

I tried this. Eggerland noise dissapears, yes, but then PSG noise is lost. Crying
Isn't it possible to fix both things at the same time?

By caro

Champion (512)

caro's picture

20-05-2013, 07:12

KdL wrote:

this is missing again:
ocm-pld v3.2 beta8........someone have it?

I have it. Check up mail.

By caro

Champion (512)

caro's picture

20-05-2013, 07:28

Ace wrote:

And now I have a problem. My 21.47727MHz clock circuit has malfunctioned. I'm gonna try something different now with a 53.6931MHz 4-pin oscillator hooked up to the DE0. However, I'm a bit stumped with this line in pll4xd0.vhd:
inclk0_input_frequency => 20000,
This is for the on-board 50MHz clock on the DE0, but what if I want to use a 53.6931MHz oscillator instead? What would 20000 need to be changed to?

-- THIS IS A WIZARD-GENERATED FILE. DO NOT EDIT FHIS FILE!
Use wizard to generate new pll.

By Ace

Resident (53)

Ace's picture

20-05-2013, 07:44

Already did that.

And now, I'm having cartridge slot issues. Joy...

The only game I have to test is Gradius 2, but I've checked my wiring several times over and the best I can get is a blue screen or the game that's about to boot, but locks up at a black screen. And that happens only if I force the slot select line low (/SLTSL1 in this case). If I don't do this, the game is not recognized at all, but I can see some flickering lines on the screen. I've ruled out a wiring error as I checked this multiple times already.

One thing I will mention is it seems /SLTSL1, SW1, SW2 and /CS12 are all stuck at 3.3V. Is this normal? I know the SCC controls the slot select line, but exactly how it does so is beyond me.

Any advice?

Page 77/118
70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82