Binary File Loader

By gdx

Prophet (2708)

gdx's picture

31-10-2018, 14:23

Hello,

I developed a command to load and execute binary files under MSX-DOS.
You can download that here:
http://www.msx.org/downloads/binary-loader-v100

Below is a ZIP that contains some files to try it.
Some binary files.

Enjoy.

Login or register to post comments

By gdx

Prophet (2708)

gdx's picture

03-11-2018, 06:41

Updated to v1.0.1!

I fix keys to remove disks and shunt down motors. I also removed the cursor troublesome for few games.

By ~mk~

Master (225)

~mk~'s picture

03-11-2018, 16:37

Hi Gdx,

I haven't tried it yet but you can expect bug reports from me in the future Smile
It is nice to have this tool and not having to deal with .BAS files.

Some initial questions:
- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?
- Is it feasible to extend this tool to load multipart binary files?

Cheers!

By hit9918

Prophet (2853)

hit9918's picture

03-11-2018, 16:50

interesting to read the code

	ld	bc,24
	ld	de,FCB1+13
	ld	hl,FCB1+12
	ld	(hl),b
	ldir			; Reset the second half of FCB

	ld	de,FCB1
	ld	c,0FH
	call	BDOS		; Open the binary file

O_O does open not init the fcb?
then, an uninitialized fcb would do things like start reading in a random place in the file?

By gdx

Prophet (2708)

gdx's picture

04-11-2018, 09:15

I noticed a little issue with Psychedelia. Normally when you press the Y key, it goes back to Basic. A reset occurs instead. Any idea to fix it?

hit9918 wrote:

O_O does open not init the fcb?
then, an uninitialized fcb would do things like start reading in a random place in the file?

Yes, depending the content an error can occur if this area is not reseted. It is in Tsujikawa's source code that I found this solution a few years ago.

~mk~ wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but you can expect bug reports from me in the future :)
It is nice to have this tool and not having to deal with .BAS files.

Thank you. :)

~mk~ wrote:

- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?

I do not know how this commamd works. Is the source code available?

~mk~ wrote:

- Is it feasible to extend this tool to load multipart binary files?

I don't know. It is probably feasible but with another method. Does somebody have an idea?

By ~mk~

Master (225)

~mk~'s picture

04-11-2018, 22:03

gdx wrote:
~mk~ wrote:

- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?

I do not know how this commamd works. Is the source code available?

Seems not Sad
All I could find was this basic listing which is supposed to do the same (I'll try it and let you know):
https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/more-m...

By gdx

Prophet (2708)

gdx's picture

21-02-2019, 01:00

Update! I added a missing line of code and make minor fixes.

https://www.msx.org/downloads/binary-loader-v100

Some binary files to try it:
BIN-OK.ZIP