Mapper Memory PCM Player ver. 1.04 ( MPCM )

Page 1/2

By Giangiacomo Zaf...

Expert (117)

Giangiacomo Zaffini 2's picture

01-12-2018, 15:42

I have a MSX turboR so, when I fumbled across this software MPCM ver. 1.04 it gained my attention.

Do anyone have source code of it? Did anyone try it?
I will report about it, if there is something good to report.

Login or register to post comments

By Grauw

Enlighted (7840)

Grauw's picture

01-12-2018, 17:40

Looks like it supports up to 46 MB they say! Takes only 15 minutes to load from SD card with 1chipMSX they say, lol Smile.

They mention it requires DOS 2 or MU.COM TSR by Yoshida; I wonder what that MU.COM is, perhaps a TSR which installs a standalone mapper support extended BIOS in DOS1? If so, that would be really, really interesting and I’d like to know where to find it.

There’s quite a few other interesting tools there as well like ROM loaders that I’ve never heard of before…

By Giangiacomo Zaffini 2

Expert (117)

Giangiacomo Zaffini 2's picture

02-12-2018, 02:44

It seems that MU enables RAM Memory Mapped RAMDISK on MSX-DOS1.
It is referred as μ - Memory mapper Utility system ver 1.05 (よっしゅ),
and also discussed in this bulletin board system archive page,
and also suggested in this BUP copy tool by (NOB).

Edit - found it! - but download option seems to be removed ;(
Yosh's MU utility page.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5427)

mars2000you's picture

02-12-2018, 04:24

Follow this temporary link: http://www.msxblue.com/temp2/mu105.lzh

By gdx

Prophet (2552)

gdx's picture

02-12-2018, 08:21

To download, go to the following page with JavaScript enabled. (Enter the URL twice if necessary!)

http://yosh.s602.xrea.com/msx/mu/

Click on the link at the bottom.

Enter the password displayed and click on [開始], then [保存] at same location.

(Be careful not to cancel because it is limited to one download by 24h only, this guy is paranoid!)

MU.COM seems to be used to install the extended BIOS for the Memory Mapper under MSX-DOS1.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5172)

NYYRIKKI's picture

02-12-2018, 09:36

To be honest, I'm not interested about MPCM at all (I believe good old PCMplay was already able to play up to ~4MB samples?) how ever I'm very happy that I took a peek inside this conversation because of this Mu.COM...

Grauw wrote:

They mention it requires DOS 2 or MU.COM TSR by Yoshida; I wonder what that MU.COM is, perhaps a TSR which installs a standalone mapper support extended BIOS in DOS1? If so, that would be really, really interesting and I’d like to know where to find it.

It seems you were right! I guess this program could have saved many programs from becoming MSX-DOS2 only, if we would have just known that it exists... and it's been around for 25 years!

To be honest, now I have a strong feeling, that I've even seen this TSR on a disk in late 90's with some other Japanese software... It was just yet another software title I couldn't figure out, what it does. Damn these language barriers!

By Grauw

Enlighted (7840)

Grauw's picture

02-12-2018, 13:02

gdx wrote:

MU.COM seems to be used to install the extended BIOS for the Memory Mapper under MSX-DOS1.

That’s awesome, just what I hoped it would be! It seems it also adds a disk cache and RAM disk.

Maybe this utility can be put in the msx.org downloads database?

NYYRIKKI wrote:

To be honest, I'm not interested about MPCM at all (I believe good old PCMplay was already able to play up to ~4MB samples?)

If the limit is 4 MB, sounds like PCMplay only uses the primary mapper and would not work well on a turboR with external mappers.

NYYRIKKI wrote:

It seems you were right! I guess this program could have saved many programs from becoming MSX-DOS2 only, if we would have just known that it exists... and it's been around for 25 years!

With this there is no longer a need to use direct mapper access if you need >64K in non-DOS2 software, which causes compatibility problems when it runs in DOS2 environment.

Wow, 25 years! If only this had become widespread sooner, I think there may have been less software with DOS2 compatibility problems. And it probably would’ve been more popular than MemMan.

By Grauw

Enlighted (7840)

Grauw's picture

02-12-2018, 13:32

Taking things a bit further, a TSR like MU.COM but which adds not only mapper support routines but also a simple DOS2 compatibility wrapper (redirecting to DOS1 calls) would also be interesting. That way e.g. VGMPlay could run on DOS1 without me actually having to add support for it.

By gdx

Prophet (2552)

gdx's picture

02-12-2018, 22:44

Grauw wrote:

Maybe this utility can be put in the msx.org downloads database?

I start the translation...

By gdx

Prophet (2552)

gdx's picture

07-12-2018, 13:10

By Grauw

Enlighted (7840)

Grauw's picture

07-12-2018, 14:09

Thanks gdx!

Page 1/2
My MSX profile