Metal Gear 2 secrets

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By KdL

Paragon (1164)

KdL's picture

21-04-2019, 18:31

By using "Warp Keys" in Debug Mode:
2, 5, 6 and other keys shows the damaged graphics like c, d, e. Question
Therefore I don't know if this rom is really okay...
Someone could play in normal mode and confirm that?
I currently have no time to do it.

Key	Function
0	Entrance Point
1	Zanzibar Building 1F
2	Zanzibar Building 2F (jump one screen north)
3	Zanzibar Building 3F
4	Zanzibar Building 4F
5	Zanzibar Building B1
6	Zanzibar Building B2
7	Jungle Maze
8	Zanzibar Building B3
9	Tower Building Southern Entrance
a	Tower Building Northern Entrance
b	Tower Building 1F (jump one screen north)
c	Tower Building glitched area
d	Tower Building glitched area
e	Tower Building glitched area
f	Sealed Door to the roof of Tower Building (jump one screen north)
g	Tower Building glitched area
h	Final Getaway
i	Detention Camp B2 (in front of Metal Gear D)
j	Detention Camp B1

By tfh

Paragon (1705)

tfh's picture

21-04-2019, 19:25

KdL wrote:

By using "Warp Keys" in Debug Mode:
2, 5, 6 and other keys shows the damaged graphics like c, d, e. Question
Therefore I don't know if this rom is really okay...
Someone could play in normal mode and confirm that?
I currently have no time to do it.

Hmmm... I've just used the files I found online. No idea what could be wrong, nor the knowledge to find out.
The Japanese file seems to do the same. Maybe the debug mode got broken in the VC version?

By sdsnatcher73

Champion (361)

sdsnatcher73's picture

21-04-2019, 20:27

Takamichi wrote:
sdsnatcher73 wrote:
Takamichi wrote:

Whoever who hacked the original and modified it did a really neat job then.

This was not a ‘hack’, as it is an official Konami release it was most likely just rebuilt from updated source code and images.

If Konami really retained the sources from 1990 and called forth ex-developers who might have quit Konami (like Kojima has now) at the time of Wii VC release, I compliment Konami. However I myself can't find any article that states who did that job.

Well I am quite certain they build the PS3 version from source as that even uses higher resolution graphics (fonts I believe) in several locations (using PS3 functionality), it is not a pure ROM on an emulator (like this one seems to be). Also Parodius on PSVita has updated graphics all around. And they would not need the original coders to change some graphics and texts, would they? The PS3 version of MG2 is probably the 1.1 version.

By sdsnatcher73

Champion (361)

sdsnatcher73's picture

21-04-2019, 20:32

I noticed the Japanese 1.2 rom is actually already identified by openMSX (so somebody has done the trick before). But the English translation is not.

Here are my sha1sums:
d8cd8c87d720cf0bf52a7f432999979de5438bd5 solid12j.rom
f9bc911ad3d1bc042fc18e74b1987a5d8464fb3e solid12e.rom

By sdsnatcher73

Champion (361)

sdsnatcher73's picture

21-04-2019, 20:47

Looking at softwaredb.xml I also see the following:
6228aef9c26276b9ed4157d1c5b3912d27ee6ce5m [RC-750] / Wii VC Version

I also now Nemesis 3 saw a VC release. Will be looking for these roms now...

By tfh

Paragon (1705)

tfh's picture

21-04-2019, 21:01

sdsnatcher73 wrote:

Looking at softwaredb.xml I also see the following:
6228aef9c26276b9ed4157d1c5b3912d27ee6ce5m [RC-750] / Wii VC Version

I also now Nemesis 3 saw a VC release. Will be looking for these roms now...

I've already found & checked most of them. The majority has the GoodMSX ROM's inside the WAD's.
I've sent you a link by mail.

By sdsnatcher73

Champion (361)

sdsnatcher73's picture

21-04-2019, 21:05

tfh wrote:
sdsnatcher73 wrote:

Looking at softwaredb.xml I also see the following:
6228aef9c26276b9ed4157d1c5b3912d27ee6ce5m [RC-750] / Wii VC Version

I also now Nemesis 3 saw a VC release. Will be looking for these roms now...

I've already found & checked most of them. The majority has the GoodMSX ROM's inside the WAD's.
I've sent you a link by mail.

Great, I am downloading the wads. Could you share a list of the ones that were identical/different to GoodMSX? And what is different in the Metal Gear version for the Wii VC?

By KdL

Paragon (1164)

KdL's picture

21-04-2019, 22:56

tfh wrote:
KdL wrote:

By using "Warp Keys" in Debug Mode:
2, 5, 6 and other keys shows the damaged graphics like c, d, e. Question
Therefore I don't know if this rom is really okay...
Someone could play in normal mode and confirm that?
I currently have no time to do it.

Hmmm... I've just used the files I found online. No idea what could be wrong, nor the knowledge to find out.
The Japanese file seems to do the same. Maybe the debug mode got broken in the VC version?

They probably didn't use it to test this version of the game.

By tfh

Paragon (1705)

tfh's picture

23-04-2019, 23:08

Well, a little update here... It seems that the "English" version was created by someone who took the Japanese Virtual Console version of Solid Snake and used the MSX Translation patch (solide12.ips) to create the English version.
This borks the game as Petrovic can't be called with the codec (after the jungle scene). This is most probably caused by the IPS patch. So, for the moment I have placed both versions online for your entertainment:

Solid Snake VC Jap : https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=solidsnakevcjp
Solid Snake VC Eng: https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=solidsnakevc

The Japanese version is 100% playable, the English version will get you stuck. If someone would be interested in updating the translation IPS file to work with the above VC JP version that would be great.

By Guillian

Prophet (3205)

Guillian's picture

23-04-2019, 23:20

I extracted the VC ROM in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An8SJxpSEB4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtsMntHMBg

AFAIK, the original ROM was patched, not recompiled.

BIFI asked me for the ROM, so perhaps he added it to openMSX database.

Also, the PS3 version is not based on original code. This was discussed several years ago on MRC.

Page 2/3
1 | | 3
My MSX profile