Metal Gear Remix v1.995

Page 4/6
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6

By TheKid

Paladin (942)

TheKid's picture

26-05-2020, 16:03

Thanx, I have found the problem. For some reason in the misc controls tab of catapult the joystick port 1 was set to mouse and that caused this strange behavior. (And I did set this value on purpose).
So, now good old snake can be controlled normally Smile

By Nekura_Hoka

Rookie (30)

Nekura_Hoka's picture

26-05-2020, 18:10

Guillian wrote:

The map is divided in different radio signal/coverage areas.

Also, here is a list of rooms you can contact by radio.
I.e.: Just at the begining of the game, after walking north two rooms, you can contact Schnider at frequency 120.79

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to indicate that the messages change, rather that their placement seems counter-intuitive in some cases.

By Takamichi

Champion (389)

Takamichi's picture

30-05-2020, 19:46

Another words stuck together; Jennifer says "killin gour" instead of "killing our", killin before the line break, when you fight Coward Duck.

By Takamichi

Champion (389)

Takamichi's picture

31-05-2020, 10:55

I played the ver 1995 to the end. Now I have to play the original Japanese, but before that,
1. A lot of the transceiver messages, eg Schneider's last word, proceed automatically without player pushing the button. However it doesn't happen on the original .
2. Words that don't align with the original:
----Big Boss in a corridor with 3 cameras, Bldg 1 Floor 1
Use camouflage in locations with good visibility.
---
"Camouflage" isn't much associable with the cardboard box. Can it be more direct like "Put yourself in a box"?

----Prisoner telling about Jennifer, Bldg 2 Floor 2
Jennifer offers aid but is prideful.
---
I think "aid" alone isn't enough and something that implies she, unlike other people, can actually open door and place a rocket launcher is necessary. "real world aid"?

---Schneider's last word, the room left to Coward duck
I've got the real identity of Outer Heaven's boss!
What?!
The boss of Outer Heaven is...
---
What!? sounds as if Schneider is frightened of himself. Does it really sound "You'll be surprised to hear!"? I propose "Guess what!"

----Big Boss in front of Bldg 3
Get into the truck on the right!
---
There are 3 trucks on the right and Big Boss should specifically refer to the far right one.

----Jennifer in the Bldg3 basement with destructible wall
Destroy the left wall!
---
This misleads the player to search the left VERTICAL wall. It has to refer to the left part of the horizontal wall. How about "Destroy the wall to the left!"?

By Nekura_Hoka

Rookie (30)

Nekura_Hoka's picture

31-05-2020, 17:25

Takamichi wrote:

I played the ver 1995 to the end. Now I have to play the original Japanese, but before that,

Awesome! I've updated the patch on Google Drive with the formatting fix you mentioned for Jennifer's message. I also just finished my play through.

Takamichi wrote:

1. A lot of the transceiver messages, eg Schneider's last word, proceed automatically without player pushing the button. However it doesn't happen on the original .

I changed this message and maybe one or to others to unprompted ones. I did this in situations where the speaker isn't likely to be waiting for a response from the player. Schneider is messaging, because he has important information and as he's talking I wouldn't think that he's waiting for Snake to respond after he says each bit. The button prompt is like an active listening thing in my mind. Kind of like, in conversation one party will say something and wait for an acknowledgement from the other party, like them saying "uh huh" or "oh", to indicate that they understood before saying the next thing. Schneider gets killed in this message, and I didn't think it made sense for the process to wait for Snake or the player to press a button or respond.

Takamichi wrote:

2. Words that don't align with the original:
----Big Boss in a corridor with 3 cameras, Bldg 1 Floor 1
Use camouflage in locations with good visibility.
---
"Camouflage" isn't much associable with the cardboard box. Can it be more direct like "Put yourself in a box"?

It can be, but the next line was supposed to imply that originally, I think. The original translation for the next line was, "Like, encasing yourself in something..." And this one is "Hide in something..."

Maybe it should say, "Hide inside something..." That keeps both sentences close to your original translation and helps the player understand they need to look for something they can fit into to disguise themselves. What do you think?

Takamichi wrote:

----Prisoner telling about Jennifer, Bldg 2 Floor 2
Jennifer offers aid but is prideful.
---
I think "aid" alone isn't enough and something that implies she, unlike other people, can actually open door and place a rocket launcher is necessary. "real world aid"?

I agree with you, it's too vague for what she can do. If I didn't have a game walkthrough guide, there's little chance I'd have thought to call Jennifer to open that door. The original translation you had used the word "supports," but it has the same problem. I put "aid" in there originally (15 years ago, haha) to help save space, but shouldn't be too necessary now. We can do something here. "Real world aid" doesn't quite sound natural, though. Let me think about it a bit? If you come up with anything let me know.

Takamichi wrote:

---Schneider's last word, the room left to Coward duck
I've got the real identity of Outer Heaven's boss!
What?!
The boss of Outer Heaven is...
---
What!? sounds as if Schneider is frightened of himself. Does it really sound "You'll be surprised to hear!"? I propose "Guess what!"

This one was tough. I kind of agonized about this for the updated version. Originally we used "Surprise..." and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the original Japanese is kind of a word-for-impact that doesn't really have a direct translation. Kind of like someone exclaiming "What the...?" In this message, I imagined Schneider getting the information, like being handed a brief, as he was messaging, rather than knowing the information and then calling Snake. It seems weird for Schneider to call and playfully tease Snake with the information before telling him. If it were gossip or something trivial, yes, of course, but Snake's in danger--they all are. In translating this, did you have the impression that Schneider was teasing Snake?

Takamichi wrote:

----Big Boss in front of Bldg 3
Get into the truck on the right!
---
There are 3 trucks on the right and Big Boss should specifically refer to the far right one.

----Jennifer in the Bldg3 basement with destructible wall
Destroy the left wall!
---
This misleads the player to search the left VERTICAL wall. It has to refer to the left part of the horizontal wall. How about "Destroy the wall to the left!"?

Sounds good. We'll do "Get into the truck on the far right!" and "Destroy the wall to the left!"

Let's think about the other questions above and I'll update and post here when we can decide on them.

By Nekura_Hoka

Rookie (30)

Nekura_Hoka's picture

01-06-2020, 04:17

For Jennifer's help:

POW wrote:

I'm saved!*
Call Jennifer of
the Resistance on
frequency 12048.*
Jennifer offers
help from inside
the fortress, but
is prideful.*
Keep the highest
class or she
won't reply to
you.

I think this works, but it's eaten up most of our spare space. This will also need a different message box size, so that the middle sentence isn't cut off at "but." I'll use the message box that Big Boss uses in the room after Metal Gear.

Also:

Jennifer wrote:

This is Jennifer!!
Destroy the left side of
the north wall!
...Over

...and...

Big Boss wrote:

This is Big Boss...
Get into the truck on the
far right!
...Over

By gaula82

Resident (42)

gaula82's picture

01-06-2020, 15:34

@Nekura_Hoka:

I have read the README file that comes with the patch, and it mentions that this patch is not compatible with the save-on-disk patch. Could it be possible to make it compatible with that patch or simply modify the patch so the re-translated version saves to disk, please?

By Nekura_Hoka

Rookie (30)

Nekura_Hoka's picture

02-06-2020, 03:57

gaula82 wrote:

@Nekura_Hoka:

I have read the README file that comes with the patch, and it mentions that this patch is not compatible with the save-on-disk patch. Could it be possible to make it compatible with that patch or simply modify the patch so the re-translated version saves to disk, please?

I can look into it. To clarify, I state in the readme that the save patch may not work. I haven't tested this version. There was a user report of an issue with Kralizec's Save/Load patch not working with version 1.9, and I looked into it in 2007, but couldn't reproduce the issues. That patch was specifically set up by Kralizec for 1.9, so it seemed odd. Have you tried using the Save/Load?

By Takamichi

Champion (389)

Takamichi's picture

02-06-2020, 05:57

About cardboard: I think keeping camouflaged unchanged and changing in to inside is a very good idea.
Jennifer: How about "Jennifer helps you in reality, but"?
Schneider: He doesn't sound like teasing Snake, but doesn't sound like he did not know Big Boss ruled Outer Heaven until that moment. The literal translation of original "Nanto!" is "What!", but I think Surprise! is better than What!. How about "What the?" or "Oh dear..."?

By sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1147)

sdsnatcher73's picture

02-06-2020, 06:08

Takamichi wrote:

About cardboard: I think keeping camouflaged unchanged and changing in to inside is a very good idea.
Jennifer: How about "Jennifer helps you in reality, but"?
Schneider: He doesn't sound like teasing Snake, but doesn't sound like he did not know Big Boss ruled Outer Heaven until that moment. The literal translation of original "Nanto!" is "What!", but I think Surprise! is better than What!. How about "What the?" or "Oh dear..."?

It seems to me (from what you’ve been discussing) there should be a tone of disbelief in the “What!”. As in Schneider was surprised by the message he’s reading. Is that correct? Then maybe adding a question mark to the exclamation might be enough. So “What?!”....

Page 4/6
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6