Running MSX AUDIO supported cartridge with NMS1205 Music Module

Page 3/6
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1166)

Eugeny_Brychkov's picture

16-09-2020, 09:57

I can not make the BIOS version 1.3b working as expected. _AUDIO returns back to BASIC, but no sound is produced during its execution. I tried both internal GR8NET implementation and NMS-1205 module with 256k RAM expansion to the same result. I tested using openMSX that ROM should work properly in subslot. I am lost where to look into and what to do next. The MSX-Audio mapper must be correctly implemented, and I see that it, as far as I know, initializes its "vital" work variables (e.g. VDP port address) in its RAM properly.

Are there any test programs available to see how ROM has initialized - how many modules it found, which module properties it detected and how it configured them? Is there any API description available?

By Manuel

Ascended (16864)

Manuel's picture

16-09-2020, 12:13

Shouldn't you be able to use PLAY #2, "CDE" after _AUDIO succeeded?

By Takamichi

Champion (368)

Takamichi's picture

16-09-2020, 13:38

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Uh, oh... You could ask something more simple you know... Smile
Well, let's try... I'll break down the POKE -54,35 first...

After reading everything I could only imagine a transvestite trying to get into a women's bath is doing all his tricks to fool the inspector groping him. Big smile

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1166)

16-09-2020, 14:34

Manuel wrote:

Shouldn't you be able to use PLAY #2, "CDE" after _AUDIO succeeded?

Very simple test, thank you very much!
And it works. PLAY#2 and PLAY#3 playing notes. Thus in overall BIOS must have initialized itself properly, and is functional.

So I have 3 problems right now:

1. No sound during performing _AUDIO (using both GR8NET and NMS-1205);
  2. Labyrinth + MSX-Audio BIOS hang (can not identify what is the cause exactly - blue screen before game starts);
  3. Very strange clicking sound during of just after I issue PLAY#2,"ABC". This strange clicking sound appears ONLY if pressing keyboard keys during play or just after it - like it is caused by the keyboard handler serving keyboard key press event.

Any ideas how to further approach them?

By Sylvester

Champion (447)

Sylvester's picture

16-09-2020, 14:39

can only comment for problem 1, but as far a I know _AUDIO is not supposed to give sound, it's to initialise the MSX AUDIO, see: https://www.msx.org/wiki/CALL_AUDIO

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1166)

16-09-2020, 14:51

Sylvester wrote:

can only comment for problem 1, but as far a I know _AUDIO is not supposed to give sound, it's to initialise the MSX AUDIO, see: https://www.msx.org/wiki/CALL_AUDIO

Thank you! Then why I hear sound in openMSX emulation (you can hear it in my video linked to in my previous post)?

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1166)

16-09-2020, 19:33

Good news, I tried another game (Commando), and it runs without problems on both NMS-1205 and GR8NET with MSX-Audio sound.
But whatever I do, Labyrinth does not run and hangs (or loops) in undefined location for both NMS and GR8NET. INT pins is high, so it is NOT storm of interrupts not being cleared. But it runs properly in openMSX with "boosted audio" extension.

Update: two more games work properly with GR8NET: Xevious Fardraut Saga and Family Stadium.

What is so special with Labyrinth and FS-CA1 so that they work together (as far as I was told), but modified NMS-1205 does not work with Labyrinth in real life (only in emulation)? My machine is Yamaha YIS 503-3.

By Manuel

Ascended (16864)

Manuel's picture

16-09-2020, 19:18

Isn't the clicking sound just the normal PPI key click?

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1166)

16-09-2020, 19:56

Manuel wrote:

Isn't the clicking sound just the normal PPI key click?

Correct, PPI click! But not normal.
I performed testing and can say that sound does not come from Audio, and not from PSG. So the only location it can come out if is PPI. BUT! There's a difference between performing PLAY"ABCDEF" before and after _AUDIO. Before calling audio, there was no single case of such click, after calling audio is it heard very often.
Does MSX-Audio BIOS support PPI sound, or operates PPI registers related to this sound and maybe mishandles it?

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5590)

NYYRIKKI's picture

16-09-2020, 20:10

Eugeny_Brychkov wrote:

Thank you! Then why I hear sound in openMSX emulation (you can hear it in my video linked to in my previous post)?

That is actually quite interesting question... This seems to be problem only with "boosted audio" configuration. If you select Panasonic FS-CA1 this problem does not happen... Maybe Manuel knows something about this?

Quote:

But whatever I do, Labyrinth does not run and hangs (or loops) in undefined location for both NMS and GR8NET. INT pins is high, so it is NOT storm of interrupts not being cleared. But it runs properly in openMSX with "boosted audio" extension.

Hmm... These kind of things are pain to debug... as you have probably already figured out the init routine is @ #6535 (offset #36535 in ROM-file)... I would maybe start disabling the calls from end by replacing them with OR A & RET and see what call was the one that caused the crash.

Page 3/6
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6