[SURVEY] IMPROVED/ENHANCED/REMAKE GAMES

Page 6/8
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | 7 | 8

By Manuel

Ascended (15750)

Manuel's picture

01-05-2017, 00:19

You can test the turbo on openMSX just fine. Just the sound pitch issue (#799) is missing. And #989 is only about the CIEL MSX2+ with the /WAIT feature that was discussed in some other thread recently.

By hamlet

Scribe (2528)

hamlet's picture

01-05-2017, 01:03

This is a very active community, with a lot of brilliant members creating new and preserve old stuff. A lot of ideas and will to power. Only because of a small amount of silicium and plastic. And Konami games. And beautiful designed equipment. A lot of logic and lot more emotions. A view days before Akebono wrote:

Quote:

I think MSX was about the people behind them. It's a pity that some of us needed a computer system to realize that.

That´s true.
There are wonderful ideas in this topic, all would be worth to realize. I hope some of them will be developed.
This weekend I´ve gone to lots of disk, my friend Michi had donated. I´m impressed of homebrew hard- and software developed in the 90s, but I´m absolutely speachless about the productivity of our community today. There are so much new games, so much hardware improvements that is hard to collect old items.
This is great. Thanks to everyone in the community, makers and buyers and thanks to the people at MRC.

By ren

Paragon (1225)

ren's picture

01-05-2017, 08:59

Thanks Manuel. Of course it is an issue if you want to check if a production is (properly) turbo compatible.. (sound pitching up means no then) Wink (@sd_snatcher This is not an issue with Herzog on turbo?)

Is it possible to (properly) emulate a 7MHz kit in openMSX?
Btw, what's described in #799 is the same for any turbo / Z80 freq adjustment right (or do (proper) real (7MHz) turbo kits take care of this)?

(@ readers Sorry for the minor topic noise (and have a great day Wink))

By tfh

Paragon (1811)

tfh's picture

01-05-2017, 12:18

hamlet wrote:

This is a very active community, with a lot of brilliant members creating new and preserve old stuff. A lot of ideas and will to power. Only because of a small amount of silicium and plastic. And Konami games. And beautiful designed equipment.

...

I´m impressed of homebrew hard- and software developed in the 90s, but I´m absolutely speachless about the productivity of our community today. There are so much new games, so much hardware improvements that is hard to collect old items.
This is great. Thanks to everyone in the community, makers and buyers and thanks to the people at MRC.

These days you see games, developped by one person (or a small team) that easily overclass games made by commercial softwarehouses in the '80's & early 90's... Very impressive.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5413)

JohnHassink's picture

01-05-2017, 13:36

@ tfh: I guess that's because people really got to know the hardware intimately and inside out.
You can see the same effect when you compare NES games from the mid '80s to those from the early '90s (when NES was running on its last teeth).

By tfh

Paragon (1811)

tfh's picture

01-05-2017, 13:40

JohnHassink wrote:

@ tfh: I guess that's because people really got to know the hardware intimately and inside out.
You can see the same effect when you compare NES games from the mid '80s to those from the early '90s (when NES was running on its last teeth).

I guess that's true, though you'd expect better results from a team of professionals compared to a few "amateurs". Of course the knowledge about the possiblities of the HW has increased dramaticly. But still...

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5413)

JohnHassink's picture

01-05-2017, 13:50

tfh wrote:

I guess that's true, though you'd expect better results from a team of professionals compared to a few "amateurs". Of course the knowledge about the possiblities of the HW has increased dramaticly. But still...

Yes. That raises an interesting point - we all know that for instance the Konami guys were really on fire when creating some of the MSX classics. But in the end, it was literally their job.
So now we have MSX fans creating their own stuff, mainly from their passion for our quirky little platform, and they have oodles of time compared to professionals who had to deliver something within a time schedule.
Maybe that also plays a part?

By Meits

Scribe (5534)

Meits's picture

01-05-2017, 13:57

Well yeah, deadlines are quite bad for creativity.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5413)

JohnHassink's picture

01-05-2017, 13:58

Not always, Meits. We probably would have never finished Deep Dungeon Adventure without a deadline, and in the end, we made the whole thing in three weeks. Smile

By Manuel

Ascended (15750)

Manuel's picture

01-05-2017, 19:01

ren wrote:

Is it possible to (properly) emulate a 7MHz kit in openMSX?
Btw, what's described in #799 is the same for any turbo / Z80 freq adjustment right (or do (proper) real (7MHz) turbo kits take care of this)?

In openMSX, all sound devices currently have their own individual clock, so the CPU clock is not affecting them.
Furthermore, see https://github.com/openMSX/openMSX/issues/136
So, no, it's not emulated as 7mhz kits yet.

My real MSX2 with super turbo circuit has wrong sound pitch when enabled. Hard to work around in software if you don't know the exact clock frequency. Well, perhaps it can be measured?

Page 6/8
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | 7 | 8