Tales of Popolon

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5364)

NYYRIKKI's picture

08-10-2019, 14:37

santiontanon wrote:

Seriously, after seeing that hack, now I really want to go back to that codebase and do something more with it, thanks a lot for sharing! Big smile

Mission accomplished Big smile

I've always thought that this game engine has quite some hidden potential... Especially if you give up the idea of using 32K ROM on 16K MSX1. With some more storage space you can have yet more interesting maps with traps and puzzles and a lot more variety like waterfalls, opening door animations or lifts that operate using buttons... Maybe even roof top with 2D sky & stars or some 2D explosion animations or similar. If you accept usage of MSX2 VDP you can easily do stuff like special color textures, light effects, shake the screen on hit, use better sprites etc.

I think this engine would be pretty excellent for some Metal Gear type of game where there is shooting sections, sneaking around guards and problem solving. To my eyes it seems to fit well for that kind of game.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5364)

NYYRIKKI's picture

08-10-2019, 15:40

sd_snatcher wrote:
NYYRIKKI wrote:

If you are lucky owner of MSX tR, I recommend to download the disk hack that I made instead. It gives much better FPS-rate even on large FOV-settings than the original version.

Tip: If you load the game with ExecROM /Z, you'll have the same kind of speed boost.

Actually not quite... If you use the ROM-file without modification the whole game runs faster. In this disk version the game speed is more or less original, but there are just more frames rendered.

By ToriHino

Champion (360)

ToriHino's picture

08-10-2019, 20:06

NYYRIKKI wrote:
santiontanon wrote:

Seriously, after seeing that hack, now I really want to go back to that codebase and do something more with it, thanks a lot for sharing! Big smile

Mission accomplished Big smile

I've always thought that this game engine has quite some hidden potential... Especially if you give up the idea of using 32K ROM on 16K MSX1. With some more storage space you can have yet more interesting maps with traps and puzzles and a lot more variety like waterfalls, opening door animations or lifts that operate using buttons... Maybe even roof top with 2D sky & stars or some 2D explosion animations or similar. If you accept usage of MSX2 VDP you can easily do stuff like special color textures, light effects, shake the screen on hit, use better sprites etc.

I think this engine would be pretty excellent for some Metal Gear type of game where there is shooting sections, sneaking around guards and problem solving. To my eyes it seems to fit well for that kind of game.

And of course this also shouts a remake of DOOM! Tongue

By santiontanon

Paladin (822)

santiontanon's picture

09-10-2019, 03:57

Those are interesting ideas there! And actually one of them (the skybox), I already have it implemented (not included it in the final game though). Also, I realized after shipping the game that I had a lookup table that I didn't really need. So, there are 2KB extra of space in the cart. That, plus making a 48KB cart should give plenty of space for additional textures/maps!

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5364)

NYYRIKKI's picture

12-10-2019, 11:48

Hello santiontanon

I actually today mailed you a new version of ToP raycasting engine that I optimized a bit... It uses now 3kB of less RAM, so there is now more space to store additional texture maps. According to my tests this new version makes the game run about 18,5% faster compared to original version. (Tested on 60Hz, Z80, large FOV)

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6236)

ARTRAG's picture

12-10-2019, 14:14

Big smile
smaller and faster!

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3047)

sd_snatcher's picture

12-10-2019, 14:28

NYYRIKKI wrote:
sd_snatcher wrote:

Tip: If you load the game with ExecROM /Z, you'll have the same kind of speed boost.

Actually not quite... If you use the ROM-file without modification the whole game runs faster. In this disk version the game speed is more or less original, but there are just more frames rendered.

Personally, I really liked that extra speed. The game felt zippy, like a modern FPS.

No offence, but in this disk version, albeit it has a higher frame rate, feels like the protagonist is crawling through the labyrinth...

Maybe a compromise could be reached, like button to walk faster? Smile

Automatic adjustment of the viewport size according to the CPU speed would also be welcome. Turbo Z80's would benefit from this.

By santiontanon

Paladin (822)

santiontanon's picture

12-10-2019, 15:21

Wow!!! That's awesome!!! Thanks a lot!!! I'm going to be traveling the whole day, but will check it out tomorrow in detail!!! I have an internal version with many optimizations that is about 30% faster than the original and uses 2kb less of ROM. So, I am quite excited to see your optimizations!! I hope they are different and it can be even faster!! Also, with your 3KB less of RAM and my 2KB less of ROM, I am already thinking what else can I fit in the cartridge for an extended version! Tongue (and that "button to walk faster" suggestion might be one of them!)

And I am very impressed that you managed to understand the code enough as for optimizing it!! When I did my optimizations, I had to start adding more and more comments to the code, to make sense of it again! I should probably start another repo, and push all of these updates once I have them merged!

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5364)

NYYRIKKI's picture

12-10-2019, 20:11

santiontanon wrote:

And I am very impressed that you managed to understand the code enough as for optimizing it!! When I did my optimizations, I had to start adding more and more comments to the code, to make sense of it again!

Please trust me when I say that I've seen a lot of Z80 assembler projects and after all of those I must say that your source code was so easy to read & follow that I literally felt like this is something that I've done my self. Considering of how advanced routines we are talking about, working with your source was like having a nice walk in a park.

I must say that when I saw the game first time I had no idea how complex thing it is although I did notice that it is something remarkable. I managed to play the game from start to end without even acknowledging that there was ie. different sprites rendered to Popolon's hands for different weapons!... but it was all there... and even hand made with assembly language & detailed source for anyone to download... Totally unrealistic scenario, if you ask me!

If you can merge that code, I think you will put another example to history books for a good reason.

By santiontanon

Paladin (822)

santiontanon's picture

13-10-2019, 07:56

Wow, thanks for the kind words! Still impressed though Smile

Will start looking into it tomorrow!! Fingers crossed! Big smile

Page 2/3
1 | | 3