Page 3/4
1 | 2 | | 4

By Grauw

Ascended (8507)

Grauw's picture

02-10-2018, 21:10

syn wrote:
Grauw wrote:

Tip to get a snare drum without using the rhythm sounds or an original voice: play an F#8 note on hardware voice 5, then quickly switch to voice 4.

Posting here in the Trilo Tracker thread since its instrument macros support voice switching Smile.

Im in bed atm, got an audio clip example?

I myself love layering some fm sound with psg noise for snare.

https://youtu.be/RQjQtDGYhnE short example, with crappy guitar as bonus

syn wrote:

grauw I just tried your receipe, but im probably not doing it right. I guess I need to toy around with pitch settings? https://youtu.be/DUVquAE14lQ

Here’s a video:

https://youtu.be/JQ7dPgJAS74

Note I’m using the sustain bit to get a decay after note-off, but I reckon the same can be done with volume control.

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

02-10-2018, 21:59

Oh you arent even using TTFM? Wrong topic then? Smile

I guess the change needs to be faster than 1 frame, because im already changing it after 1 macro step and i do hear a high short beep from the clarinet. Unless it is a ttfm bug. I just tried again without volume macroing and the sustain bit on for each snare hit, about same results (bit better, still beep)

Tbh I thought it sounds nice, but not a sound i would personally use. But thats where the freedom in musicmaking lies right Wink

*edit* it just dawned to me it sounds more like a lofi Crash/cymbal,, or at least could be used as one. GJ! Big smile If i can get it in TTFM i'd definitely use it Wink

By Grauw

Ascended (8507)

Grauw's picture

03-10-2018, 00:47

Since TTFM is probably the most practical program to do such OPLL tricks in, I thought it made sense to post here Smile. But I found it while working on my synth. I’m only updating once per frame (16.67 ms) as well so it isn’t something TTFM shouldn’t be able to do (and more reliably since I lack synchronisation). In this video I change the voice after 31.25 ms.

You do hear a bit of a high pitched tone, but I mute the volume at the start until after the instrument switch (at 52 ms), and that subdues it a bit. There’s a bit of a high pitch still present (it’s not perfect I guess), but among other sounds it drowns away I hope, and one could consider it a part of the sound of the snare. It doesn’t sound as pronounced as in your video, not sure what makes that difference… Note that in my video I’m using G8, which is the highest note the OPLL (and MIDI) can produce, maybe on the octave scale of TTFM it’s F#9/G9. A little under 4 octaves higher than the 440 Hz A.

I think it’s interesting to be able to expand the drum capabilities of the OPLL outside that set of rather tinny and tiresome 5 standard drums without having to sacrifice the original voice. You can also try other high pitched notes, they sound different sometimes, and you can play with volume envelope as well to give it a different character (e.g. a hi-hat if it’s shorter without decay?). And switching from some other voices to voice 4 also creates noise, maybe it sounds a bit different.

As for it sounding more like a crash/cymbal, actually you know what, it kind of reminds me of a tambourine…

By DarkSchneider

Paladin (880)

DarkSchneider's picture

03-10-2018, 08:38

It would be interesting to extract how the drums are made on FM, they have to use up to 3 FM channels. The good about replicating it manually is be able to use always the 9 channel mode, then when you need you use some for drums, and when no drums in the same music you have all the 9 channels. Also maybe some drums does not need the 3 channels, giving you more channels for notes.

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

03-10-2018, 14:31

Gave it one last try. It might be a TTFM bug or just that the timing is different compared to your software.. I tried at highest possible frequency.

I tried my best to mask it with the other instruments Wink

https://youtu.be/nkRM5wnq3Mg (dont mind the music its just some random stuff i did 5 minutes or so)

About the sound itself: I probably wont use it as a snare/tamborine/whatever but it might come in handy in some situations.

By Huey

Prophet (2644)

Huey's picture

03-10-2018, 16:20

I must admit that the FM implementation is probably buggy.

I haven't worked on this version for a long time due to my work. Sad
But it is not abandoned yet Wink

By PAC

Guardian (5307)

PAC's picture

03-10-2018, 17:46

Thank you! Too much work already done so it would be very sad if it were not finished. Wink

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

03-10-2018, 18:06

more fun with hardcore kickdrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXaxyV4Lt_w

I dont listen to hardcore anymore so im not sure if this is true hardcore but whatever...could be a nice boss music in a game ;)

By hit9918

Prophet (2868)

hit9918's picture

03-10-2018, 19:45

good sound Big smile

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

03-10-2018, 23:01

Huey wrote:

I must admit that the FM implementation is probably buggy.

I haven't worked on this version for a long time due to my work. Sad
But it is not abandoned yet Wink

Thank you for great work so far. i hope you dont let anything kill your motivation Wink

Page 3/4
1 | 2 | | 4