XRacing (MSXDev 2018 entry)

Page 12/12
5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5199)

NYYRIKKI's picture

26-02-2019, 15:10

Wlcracks wrote:

ok can somebody please explane whats going on here?
Since when is it possible to get scan-line number on msx1??

1:  in  a,(0x99)	; wait raster line
    and %01011111
    cp  %01000100	; plane 4 =0x44
    jp  nz,1b

No, you can't get scan-line number... but you get to know if there are 5 sprites on a line... and since you as a programmer have placed those sprites on screen the information WHEN this happens is very useful. Wink

By Wlcracks

Champion (301)

Wlcracks's picture

26-02-2019, 15:53

Thanks! Mystery solved!

By santiontanon

Paladin (752)

santiontanon's picture

26-02-2019, 19:43

Thanks Artrag! These demos are very cool!!! I was thinking of just tuning the difficulty and adjusting a few smaller things before the final game release, but with all of these demos, I now feel like revamping the scrolling engine! hahaha. As I mentioned before, I think combining your 2-buffer technique to allow for 512 tiles instead of just 256, combined with the technique used in XRacing (that uses rails to limit the scroll + additional sets of tiles being loaded/unloaded on the fly), it should be possible to achieve amazing visuals, with a lot of graphical variety!!! Or maybe that'll be fore XRacing 2... hehehe Smile

Just when I thought we were reaching the limits of smooth scroll on MSX1, now I think there is soooo much more room for improvement! Smile

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6113)

ARTRAG's picture

26-02-2019, 21:53

Well, maybe for XRacing 2. There are also critical issue to face in order to manage the top 3rd of the screen adequately, so it is better to cope with them from the beginning.
Anyway, I'm sorry to pollute this thread about XRacing, I've asked administrators to remove the last posts about scrolling experiments and move them in a separate thread

By santiontanon

Paladin (752)

santiontanon's picture

26-02-2019, 22:27

Oh, no worries about scrolling pollution! Loving these demos! And it's definitively giving me lots of ideas for the (sequel of the) game Smile

By zPasi

Champion (305)

zPasi's picture

28-02-2019, 22:16

Excellent game!

But that agent should be more encouraging. I wish I could fire him! Wait, you published the source code, so I can delete him! Wink

I was kinda surprised when I won a race and then that guy told me I'm a loser! I even thought that was a bug. Then I realised it was the last race of the season that didn't go well enough. Maybe that line should be rephrased? Smile

By santiontanon

Paladin (752)

santiontanon's picture

01-03-2019, 00:15

haha! yeah, even if you win the last race, if you are not 1st at the end, he fires you, hahaha. My intention was to mimic the "Skid Vicious" character from the 4D Sports Driving Amiga game, who was supposed to be a thug haha. But you are right, that maybe I need a special message for when you win the last race but lose the championship Smile

By santiontanon

Paladin (752)

santiontanon's picture

08-04-2019, 01:23

Now that the MSXDev announcement is near I thought it'd be a good chance to update my entry a bit. I just released a new version (v1.0.5) in GitHub: https://github.com/santiontanon/xracing

Changes:
- In the game over screen, you can now press "M" to "continue" from the current category (this only appears if you reach "endurance" or "formula 1")
- When you pause the game, you can quit pressing ESC (will take you to the game over screen directly, from where you can continue if you want restarting in the current category)
- Improved the flag effect a bit (using the latest version of my animation2msx project: https://github.com/santiontanon/animation2msx )

I know the "continue" and "quit" options should have been there from the beginning, but I ran out of time before the deadline... oh well! I hope this new version is not as painful to play :)

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5199)

NYYRIKKI's picture

08-04-2019, 04:59

FYI: The ROM download link is broken.

By santiontanon

Paladin (752)

santiontanon's picture

08-04-2019, 05:53

ah, was missing a "v". Link should be: https://github.com/santiontanon/xracing/releases/tag/v1.0.5

(updated the github page already ;))

Page 12/12
5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |
My MSX profile