XRacing (MSXDev 2018 entry)

Page 8/12
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

By santiontanon

Paladin (738)

santiontanon's picture

14-02-2019, 18:20

Thanks gdx! I have it in my "to do" list, but I will need to adapt the use of sprites, since a few things exploit the 4-sprite-per-line limitation of Screen 2, but I definitively want to do it! Big smile

By Uninteresting

Expert (85)

Uninteresting's picture

15-02-2019, 20:45

Good luck with fixing the car collisions -- it took me several tries to get the ships in BSR not get stuck on one another. (Which is why I was demanded to add a time limit for the races.)

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6084)

ARTRAG's picture

15-02-2019, 23:54

Hi Santi
I did a test reusing partially your graphics and the two page system used in uridium.
Here the rom demo
No tile is updated during the scrolling, only the pnt, but I had to cut away a lot of details. :P

By santiontanon

Paladin (738)

santiontanon's picture

16-02-2019, 06:53

@Uninteresting: haha, yeah, still trying to think what is the easiest way haha. But will take a break of a few days now, will look at it next week Smile

@ARTRAG: Nice!!! That is really smooth!!! the fences are gone, but all the road pieces are still there, so, that's very cool!!! I noticed it glitches in MSX1, is it MSX2-only? or maybe the demo just uploads the pattern data a bit too quickly for MSX1? Smile

Oh, and btw, I just write an entry on my blog explaining a few of the technical details of the flag animation in the title. Will describe the scroll in another post Smile: https://santiontanon.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-flag-effect-in...

By Uninteresting

Expert (85)

Uninteresting's picture

16-02-2019, 07:18

Great blog post. Now I'm curious about how much modern PC horsepower is used for precomputing stuff in present-day MSX development, stuff like finding the K-medoids in this animation case. Compressing data is, of course, one such example, but in the lower intensity scale.

By santiontanon

Paladin (738)

santiontanon's picture

16-02-2019, 07:46

I was talking precisely about this with a friend of mine a few weeks ago!!!! k-medoids in this case just takes a few seconds to run, but the compressor we coded for Phantomas 2.0 takes much (much!) longer than that! How long did your optimizer for the AI of BSR take to optimize a map?

By Uninteresting

Expert (85)

Uninteresting's picture

16-02-2019, 08:01

After I got the bugs squashed out, it was probably between 4 days and a week with four processes in parallel. I mean, it has to be run twice: first to find the "best" AI as the gold standard, then try and find an AI that is "evenly" worse.

I'll probably redo the AI later this year, since I'm considering changing the game physics (easier ships would have friction but be slower) and difficulty (easier cups to have relatively dumber AI), and that'll necessitate reoptimizing the AI.

By santiontanon

Paladin (738)

santiontanon's picture

16-02-2019, 08:18

woah! That's a long optimization process! hahaha, Is it a hill climbing optimizer?

By Uninteresting

Expert (85)

Uninteresting's picture

16-02-2019, 08:35

Yes: try out a local change (in one tile, rotate direction by one step in a direction and change target velocity by 10%), and if it helped, approve the change. So no MCMC or greedy optimisation here.

The time spent is explained by the number of laps the optimiser must simulate for every candidate change: I'd guess about 3*3*32*10 * 133% = 3840 laps, give or take some hundreds. (3 vehicles, 3 speed classes, starting positions 32*20 * 50% (guesstimate), approx. 1.33 laps per starting position)

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6084)

ARTRAG's picture

16-02-2019, 10:59

santiontanon wrote:

@ARTRAG: Nice!!! That is really smooth!!! the fences are gone, but all the road pieces are still there, so, that's very cool!!! I noticed it glitches in MSX1, is it MSX2-only? or maybe the demo just uploads the pattern data a bit too quickly for MSX1? Smile

Oh, and btw, I just write an entry on my blog explaining a few of the technical details of the flag animation in the title. Will describe the scroll in another post Smile: https://santiontanon.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-flag-effect-in-xracing.html

It is a fast write issue. I've solved it and updated the demo.

Very cool blog, I do almost the same but I directly use K-means, you can see it e.g. in the flames in the intro of deep dungeon.

Page 8/12
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
My MSX profile