Looking for a front from a NMS 8250/55

Page 1/2

By janr

Supporter (12)

janr's picture

19-01-2018, 17:37

My 2e computer is badly handled by the post during shipping.
The front is cracked.
So I am looking for parts voor the Philips NMS 8250 or 55.
Jan

Login or register to post comments

By Philip

Champion (346)

Philip's picture

19-01-2018, 20:10

I wouldn't be surprised if there are none 8250/55/80 fronts left that do not have at least a crack in it... Wasn't somebody talking about 3D printing these a while ago ?

By hamlet

Scribe (1630)

hamlet's picture

19-01-2018, 20:27

Philip, you are the one hosting all existing 8250, isn't it?

By Philip

Champion (346)

Philip's picture

20-01-2018, 00:01

Well, I'm trying to cutting down. Here's one for sale actually.

But there is the broken one, the front looks like this:

@janr, if this looks better as yours, you can have it. But it won't be wise to send it and I live in Almere, Holland...

By Grauw

Enlighted (7317)

Grauw's picture

20-01-2018, 03:00

All 8250/55/80 front’s plastic has become notoriously brittle. A decade ago I sold an 8250 to someone and it also arrived with the front cover cracked. It wasn’t badly packaged, nor do I think it was manhandled by the mail service… just if it gets some kind of pressure through the packaging, the plastic just breaks too easily.

By Meits

Scribe (5037)

Meits's picture

20-01-2018, 04:13

Maybe it would be a good thing to unmount the front and wrap it seperately so the weight of the case can't crush it.

By Repair-Bas

Paladin (976)

Repair-Bas's picture

20-01-2018, 18:04

I told you by email, that the seller is resposible for shipping.
Packaging is a real job, never got any broken frontpanels.
Maybe in a few weeks i have some spare panels for sale.

Where did you buy the msx?

By janr

Supporter (12)

janr's picture

20-01-2018, 23:28

Seller does not feels responsible.
To Philip,
Yours look better than mine, can you send it to me?
Jan

By Grauw

Enlighted (7317)

Grauw's picture

21-01-2018, 00:01

Well, can’t blame him tbh… it’s just so fragile, it’s a known issue with those machines, and always a risk when you buy one. I wouldn’t put the burden of that purely on the seller, or the shipping company, it’s also the buyer’s risk by purchasing one of those machines (just like I took a risk buying a turboR which was listed as “untested” and shipping it halfway the world). Though one you or the seller may not be aware of in advance, unfortunately.

I’m sure Bas has sold many of them so he knows how to package them to prevent issues with it, but you can’t expect every casual seller to be aware of that. I didn’t feel responsible back when the front panel of the 8250 I shipped arrived with cracks in it either. As long as the packaging is not obviously lacking.

Best you can do I think is, if you want to buy an 8250/55/80 and are aware of this issue and willing to take the risk, to notify the seller about the fragile front panel and ask him to take special care to pad it extremely generously. Or better yet, buy one from somewhere close and pick it up in person, if possible.

By Samor

Paragon (1985)

Samor's picture

23-01-2018, 16:09

Grauw wrote:

All 8250/55/80 front’s plastic has become notoriously brittle. A decade ago I sold an 8250 to someone and it also arrived with the front cover cracked. It wasn’t badly packaged, nor do I think it was manhandled by the mail service… just if it gets some kind of pressure through the packaging, the plastic just breaks too easily.

Did this happen to everyone? I tried shipping one to Spain 10 years ago and it came back (couldn't be delivered for some reason) in quite a terrible condition (not just the front). Mind, I think they played soccer with that one as well. :(
I wasn't aware that the front cracking easily is specific to the model though.

In general when sending a package the seller is responsible regardless of the issue but I agree with Grauw that a buyer also should factor in his own risk. Besides, it's not like you can force your rights easily, you can just hope to resolve things properly.

By Alexey

Paragon (1579)

Alexey's picture

23-01-2018, 20:36

Yep, happened to me too. If the machine moves just a little bit inside the package - this results in a broken front panel. This happens because the packages are thrown around and the heavy chassis at some point crushes the weak plastic.

Page 1/2
My MSX profile