[WTB]: Looking for a Philips NMS8250 QWERTZ / QWERTY Keyboard

By defdanny

Master (166)

defdanny's picture

07-06-2020, 22:05

Hi all,
I am looking for a QWERTZ Keyboard, that would fit to my Philips NMS 8250 MSX2 Computer.
At the moment, it is equipped with a AZERTY layout keyboard, that is very different from my familiar keyboard layout... :-)

If any has a keyboard left, please PM me! Thank you!

Login or register to post comments

By Latok

msx guru (3777)

Latok's picture

08-06-2020, 00:10

Maybe Captain Future could also just change the keyboard membrane? Perhaps easier to find?

By defdanny

Master (166)

defdanny's picture

08-06-2020, 20:23

Hi Latok,
I guess Curtis Newton would just do that, or invent some transforming device together with his buddie Simon Wright, the flying brain... ;-)
yes, the Avatar image is that of CF... I think you asked me in another thread and I never answered... sorry.
thanks for the hint with the membrane!

By Nprod

Expert (81)

Nprod's picture

08-06-2020, 21:05

Have you tried flashing a new BIOS rom with a german/international layout?

I was able to do convert my Sony HB-75D to QWERTY that way, though it turned out that the PCB layout is a little different on the german model, which caused the upper function keys to be reversed. It's still possible that the membranes are identical on the NMS8250s, who knows...

By defdanny

Master (166)

defdanny's picture

14-06-2020, 14:57

Hi Nprod, sounds a bit complicated for me, since I have no idea, how to flash a the BIOS ROM of an Philips 8250...
And i do not really understand, how this should help in my case. The AZERTY Keyboard layout is different to the QWERTZ layout in some letter keys, but also many special characters are located on totally different keys. For the letter keys, it would work, since I mostly type them blindely... but for characters like slashes, stops, full stops, underline etc. I automatically look onto the key I type.

By sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1083)

sdsnatcher73's picture

15-06-2020, 14:18

You can’t just change the keyboard on an MSX to one with a different layout and expect that to work. Keyboard and BIOS will need to match.

By Nprod

Expert (81)

Nprod's picture

15-06-2020, 15:58

@defdanny Changing the BIOS is not as simple either because it requires a USB programmer tool like a TL866 and a blank EPROM chip. After writing the new BIOS to it you have to replace the factory chip with the new one. The different BIOS will change the codepage for the key functions, for example pressing A will type out a Q. It's true it won't be of much help if you rely on looking at what's written on the keycaps, so it's only half of the solution.

As sdsnatcher73 mentioned, it may not be enough to just replace the keyboard since the circuit may be the same for all versions and only the keycaps are different. If they are, pressing Q on the new german keyboard will type out an A until you also change the BIOS.