Installing openMSX 0.4.0 on Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1

By Haohmaru

Paladin (772)

Haohmaru's picture

24-07-2004, 20:43

I finally have a Linux box up and running in my room, and of course I want to give openMSX a go.

So I download openmsx-0.4.0.tar.gz and openmsx-cataput-etc.

tar xzvf the files, do ./configure

and yes I need some more libraries:

libpng (-dev)

SDL_image (-dev)

TCL (-dev)

(emulation core is also not present?)

I already got a funny feeling while reading the installation guides I finally have a Linux box up and running in my room, and of course I want to give openMSX a go.

So I download openmsx-0.4.0.tar.gz and openmsx-cataput-etc.

tar xzvf the files, do ./configure

and yes I need some more libraries:

libpng (-dev)

SDL_image (-dev)

TCL (-dev)

(emulation core is also not present?)

I already got a funny feeling while reading the installation guides (almost dying of a heart-attack when looking at a long list of libraries needed), but after ./configure (I'l try ./config-i686 later) told me so I knew for sure.

So after a lot of Google-ing I now have:

tcl8.4.6-src.tar.gz

SDL_image-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm

SDL_image-devel-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm

so I need to download a further 3 files before I can try and compile openMSX again.

BUT (and here's the actual point of my post Wink):

Where do I get those files? I see a lot of stuff for debian, loads of RPM's for systems other than Caldera and when I think I found something useful, I cannot download it because for some reason my winXP doesn't like FTP connections.

(using SmartFTP/Leechget doesn't work either in that case).

I'm getting pretty worked up here Wink, so please help me before I suffer a severe breakdown and start breaking things.

hint: you should know my linux box is NOT connected to the internet, but I use the family brick.

thank you for your consultation,

BodyHammeR

Login or register to post comments

By DarQ

Paragon (1038)

DarQ's picture

24-07-2004, 21:36

googling is not so hard. mind you that debian stuff won't be usefull for you.

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/peanut/Peanut-Linux-9.4/pkgs/RPMS.html

these rpm's are on a webserver so no ftp problem (how fucked up can THAT be :D). AFAIK rpms should work in caldera..

By Haohmaru

Paladin (772)

Haohmaru's picture

24-07-2004, 22:00

Thank you so much!

oh just a quick question:

I only find tcltk-8.3.3-1.i386.rpm when looking for TCL, can I use that package ok?

...or should I use the tcl8.4.6-src.tar.gz I downloaded earlier?

By dhau

Paragon (1557)

dhau's picture

25-07-2004, 01:42

Caldera is now SCO, and they try to rape everyone's anus. Good time to look for alternatives Wink

By mth

Champion (484)

mth's picture

25-07-2004, 06:28

The message about the emulation core says that the emulation core cannot be built because its dependencies are missing. The emulation core is everything in openMSX that is not optional, so basically this message tells you "unable to compile until you install more libs".

The config-i686 script no longer exists in openMSX 0.4.0. You no longer need it: Pentium 2 (i686) optimisations are selected by default if you have an x86 (Pentium, Athlon etc) system.

TCL 8.3 won't work, openMSX needs TCL 8.4. The embedding interface changed between those versions and we only support the new interface. In my experience, it's often easier to install from source than to get RPMs working that were made for a different distribution. So I'd suggest you compile TCL from the source package you found.

Since your Linux distribution is a bit old, please check your GCC version first: "gcc --version". You need GCC 3.x to compile openMSX, because the C++ compiler of GCC 2.x has too many bugs to correctly compile openMSX (GCC 2.x is fine for C code, but not for C++ code that actually uses C++ features like STL and templates).

If your distribution doesn't have GCC 3.x, it may be a good idea to replace it altogether. In any case, Caldera/SCO doesn't have a bright future as a Linux distributor (nor any other kind of future, I think). Most openMSX developers use Debian (the "testing" stream). I use SUSE 9.0 myself. Both can be downloaded for free.

If you would like live support, join us on IRC: #openmsx on irc.freenode.net.

By DarQ

Paragon (1038)

DarQ's picture

25-07-2004, 12:21

Caldera is now SCO, and they try to rape everyone's anus. Good time to look for alternatives Wink

well, i was about mentioning that fact too, just like mth and you did. so ill do it to:
please get rid of caldera and start using more elegant distributions