openMSX on a Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.4.2

Page 1/2

By Mirg

Expert (88)

Mirg's picture

06-09-2005, 12:38

I compiled openMSX this morning (September 6th, 11:00 AM), but I'm having a bit of trouble. When I press F10 to bring up the console, nothing happens. Command+L should bring up the console as well, right? When I press it, I get this error:

Warning: Error executing hot key command: invalid command name "toggle"

I've tried putting this in the settings.xml file and telling openMSX to use it as a settings-file:

<bindings>
  <bind key="F10">toggle console</bind>
</bindings>

When I press F10, I get the same error that was generated with Command+L. I've also tried setting it to "quit" instead of "toggle console" to see if it was only the toggle-command that didn't work. It seems none of the commands work, as quit via an F10-binding generates the same error:

Warning: Error executing hot key command: invalid command name "quit"

My guess is I compiled the thing wrong. Or I did something else wrong, that could be it too. Crying

Oh, maybe I should add that I don't really know a lot about how computers work. I bought a Mac for the simplicity, not the UNIX-bit. (In other words: please keep your reply as simple as possible.) Wink

Login or register to post comments

By Mirg

Expert (88)

Mirg's picture

06-09-2005, 20:52

I half solved it. Reading through the documentation, I thought the problem would probably be in the TCL-bit.

The file init.tcl uses two (I assume) environment variables named OPENMSX_USER_DATA and OPENMSX_SYSTEM_DATA. Those were not set, and that caused the TCL-commands not to work.

I modified init.tcl a bit (first backing it up, of course) as I don't really know how to set environment variables. (I suck.) I replaced the variables with absolute paths, which works like a charm. Smile

Well, a wobbly charm, as I get this error:

While executing init.tcl: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)

After tweaking some more, I broke everything again. At least the Command+L keys bring up the console now. Big smile

I must say that openMSX is by far the best MSX-emulator I've seen! I won't ever use fMSX again. Big smile

By Manuel

Ascended (15107)

Manuel's picture

06-09-2005, 21:08

It seems you compiled a snapshot. You probably did so, because the 0.5.2 release won't compile with the default GCC compiler of Mac OS X Tiger. In stead of compiling the latest snapshot (which may be very broken), you can also download the sources of the latest stable release (0.5.2 currently) and compile it with an older version of GCC. Before you type make in the build process, type this:
export CXX=gcc-3.3
Then it will build fine Smile

The problem you describe is related to the fact that the 'toggle' command is replaced by a TCL script in the latest snapshots, so for some reason your installation is either not complete (missing scripts directory?) or openMSX can't find the scripts directory. Please check on our IRC channel to get it solved exactly. We have Mac experts.

By Manuel

Ascended (15107)

Manuel's picture

06-09-2005, 21:09

Hmm, it took me a long time to write my answer, in the mean time you already posted something as well... My reply is still valid, though!

By BiFi

Enlighted (4348)

BiFi's picture

06-09-2005, 21:25

you need to update one of the TCL scripts... cycle.tcl

By Manuel

Ascended (15107)

Manuel's picture

06-09-2005, 21:27

Some more info:

- those variables should be set from within openMSX automatically (you shouldn't have to worry about it); but I've heard about this problem before (join our IRC channel so we can find out what's going on)
- check the manual on 'user directory' (e.g.: /home/manuel/.openMSX/) and 'system directory' (the installation directory). Your user directory init.tcl should NOT do "if [file exists $user_init_tcl] { source $user_init_tcl }", otherwise you get an infinite loop! (As it executes init.tcl in the user directory!) The one in the user directory is optional anyway. Normally, this should all work fine out of the box.

By Manuel

Ascended (15107)

Manuel's picture

06-09-2005, 22:37

Oops, I meant CXX=g++-3.3

By Mirg

Expert (88)

Mirg's picture

06-09-2005, 22:40

You just told me on IRC. Big smile

Thanks, manuel, I'm compiling as I type. Smile

*Fingers crossed*

By Mirg

Expert (88)

Mirg's picture

06-09-2005, 23:44

Well, the 0.5.2-build will haunt me this night too, but the snapshot build works without any problems now thanks to mth!

I replaced the environment variables with absolute paths, but I set the path for the SYSTEM-variable wrong. When I set it to what mth told me, everything worked! Big smile

I'm more than happy with the snapshot build now. And trying to compile both the 0.5.2 and snapshot versions proved to be quite educational in the UNIX-skill department. Big smile

By mth

Champion (480)

mth's picture

07-09-2005, 22:15

Today I implemented a workaround (an idea from Wouter) such that openMSX works on OS X without setting any environment variables. It is in CVS now; it will be in the snapshots in a couple of days and in the next release in October.

By Manuel

Ascended (15107)

Manuel's picture

07-09-2005, 22:28

Even better: I just updated the snapshot manually, try it out now, if you like Smile

Page 1/2
My MSX profile