Where is openMSX 0.4.0 ?

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By mth

Champion (484)

mth's picture

25-04-2004, 04:01

We were aiming for a release before Tilburg, but there were too many things to do so we had to postpone the release. You can expect 0.4.0 within a week. As always I'll submit a news post, so you can read about it here on MRC as soon as it's released.

By Manuel

Ascended (15763)

Manuel's picture

25-04-2004, 09:09

Besides, blueMSX has a timing model that is very similar to the EmuTime model , doesn't need a pixel accurate rendering to get good working the scope part of Unknown Reality and doesn't have performance problems with the Moonsound implementation (in brand new version 1.4.0)

Hmm, since the scope part of UR uses a vertical screen split, it means some VDP settings change during the drawing of one line. If you only render at line accuracy, it means this change will not be made, since the settings are constant for the whole line. This will break the scope. So, you really need pixel accurate rendering for this (or another way to catch changes of VDP settings while drawing one line).

AFAIK the MoonSound emulation in particular doesn't have performance problems.

By dvik

Prophet (2200)

dvik's picture

25-04-2004, 09:30

blueMSX does the rendering on a pixel basis but updates info from some VDP registers (in particular the vertical scroll register for UR) on a line basis. I have an experimental version that works on the horizontal screen split in UR but I had some timing problems so it will take a little while before it will show up in a release.

It is not that hard to do pixel accurate VDP rendering and it does not require that much extra CPU time. The hard part is to get the entire VDP timing in place and openMSX has done a great job whith this. blueMSX will have it soon too. Its just a matter of time.

At the moment I'm prioritizing other things. E.g. fixing SRAM support in Koei roms (not supported by openMSX) because I believe that this is more important for many users. Of course it is nice to get the scoope part in UR to work and it will be done soon too in blueMSX.

I've mainly been using the windows version of openMSX and there is a big problem with performance and audio quality in openMSX. It probably works much better under Linux.

Btw, I tested a beta of 0.4.0 and there are many nice improvments. And catapult looks really great. Congratulations !

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

27-04-2004, 02:21

Ha. I just got my harddisk with IDE210 and openMSX online.. And for me... THIS RULES! Bigtime! I have tried several ports.. But sorry for blueMSX.. OpenMSX is here to stay for me now.

By dvik

Prophet (2200)

dvik's picture

27-04-2004, 06:01

Good that you are happy ! openMSX has some unique features that are really nice. I have other requirements on an emulator so for me blueMSX is better. But it all depends on what you are doing. Good that you found what you are looking for and I'm sure that openMSX will get even better.

By Vampier

Prophet (2297)

Vampier's picture

28-04-2004, 04:42

Hi I decided to Register too....

Dvik puts a lot of efford and hard work into BleuMSX and I think he deserves a lot of credit for making the emulator. openMSX is a great emulator... but to be honest for my parents I installed blueMSX simply because it's faster and easier to use for them. BlueMSX is really a good emulator and I honestly think the whole discussion on who has the better Emu is a load of bullcr@p.

Anyway Dvik is assisting the openMSX team once a while and I seriously hope he's going to assist in making openMSX directX compatible :)

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

28-04-2004, 10:13

Anyway Dvik is assisting the openMSX team once a while and I seriously hope he's going to assist in making openMSX directX compatible Smile

I gave blueMSX a test run yesterday evening and it's certainly a really nice piece of work.Kudos to dvik!
I'm anxiously awaiting the Linux port of blueMSX ;P

By Vampier

Prophet (2297)

Vampier's picture

29-04-2004, 02:57

I'm eagerly awaiting the v9000 implementation in openMSX Smile which will surely be followed by blueMSX aswell. Anyway we really shouldn't be fighting eachother in the scene but making it a big group Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

29-04-2004, 13:14

I'm eagerly awaiting the v9000 implementation in openMSX Smile
ROFL, WTF is a v9000?!
Oh, and leave your hatemail in your own mailbox this time, m'kay?

By Vampier

Prophet (2297)

Vampier's picture

29-04-2004, 17:44

Patriek you don't know the v9000?!?!! Everyone knows about it Smile

ps what hatemail?

Page 2/3
1 | | 3