MSX68000 ???

By mars2000you

Enlighted (6229)

mars2000you's picture

03-02-2003, 00:53

Why speak about X68000 ? Because the best arcade games and the best MSX games were converted for this computer that was released only in Japan by Sharp between 1986 and 1990 (5 or 6 models).

The MSX conversions are really so good that you have also the MSX feeling. An example : the Gradius 2 (or Nemesis 2) conversion with the SCC sounds that have the perfection of the FM approach !

But why this computer was not called MSX68000 ? Because it's only a Sharp product (at the same time, Sony, Sanyo and Panasonic are in the MSX 2 adventure) and because his architecture is more close to the ATARI ST or Amiga architecture.

Maybe also a problem of strategy. When I see the possibilities of X68000 in 1986, I ask me if the Turbo-r release in 1990 was not too late ....

Maybe it's the result of the battle between giants like Sony, Konami and Matsushita (Panasonic) about the evolution of MSX. We all know that the implementation of FM-PAC in MSX 2+ only comes in 1989, three years after the X68000 !!! Strange, isn't it ???

If you want to discover the (MS)X68000, go to the following site :

http://www.jcec.co.uk/

You have the choice between three emulators : EX68, Winx68 and XM6.

The best seems to be Winx68 : easy to use and good quality for the music.

You can say the same for XM6, that can start more games than Winx68, but needs a powerful PC.

EX68 is a good emulator, but all his menus are in Japanese, and the quality of music is more approximative.

Please also note that if a game is on two disks, you must insert the first disk in FD 0 and the second disk in FD 1, before to make a reset

I hope that you will appreciate this (MS)X68000 computer !

Login or register to post comments

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

03-02-2003, 14:00

Altho an impressive computer, this really has very little to do with MSX.
The Nemesis 2 conversion you talk about was done by amateurs/hobbyists, probably using some for of emulation.

Besides, as you say, the architecture is totally different and only produced by one maker. That and not having to compromise really makes it uncomparable to MSX.

We don't refer to Sega Master System as MSX either do we? Even tho its VDP is TMS9918 based and its CPU is Z80 and it has many 'MSX' games also.

By snout

Ascended (15187)

snout's picture

03-02-2003, 21:29

well it is in the general forum, so 'related' topics are allowed. If it gets too excessive, I might even consider creating a 'related' forum.

Anyway, on the MRC we posted a few times on the X68000 in the past. (see our site search function).

By Latok

msx guru (3867)

Latok's picture

03-02-2003, 21:30

Hey Snout, who's the moderator here? Tongue

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

04-02-2003, 12:50

And, I still don't see how X68000 is related. IMO it should be in the off-topic.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (6229)

mars2000you's picture

04-02-2003, 17:49

Just the fact that some fans have made conversions of MSX games seems me enough to say that X68000 is MSX related.

But there's more. By the reactions on another forum
( I'm Super-Moderator on http://www.fixato.nl/msx-boards/index.php )
I can see that real MSX games fans like to discover their favorite games in other versions or sequels. Nemesis is only an example, you can also think about Castlevania (Vampire Killer), Aleste, ...

Don't forget that new generations of players have begun with PSX, then they are interested to know what was before PSX. And they are very surprised to find out that the great Konami adventure has its roots on MSX. The best example is of course Metal Gear Solid !

So, don't be so negative about this topic about X68000 on a MSX forum ! It's really part of the MSX spirit !

By Sander

Founder (1868)

Sander's picture

04-02-2003, 18:14

I consider it related, not because of the system, but indeed of the games that where made for it. Konami -did- make quite some titles for this one.

That why I reported about this system, emulator and games a few times, and also a few years back...

Indeed, the archive has it's usages, for newbees Tongue

By snout

Ascended (15187)

snout's picture

06-02-2003, 22:43

I'm actually quite interested in the results of SCC -> FM conversion. With a weird algorythm, it might even be possible on MSX to play ripped SCC music on an FM-PAC. Must sound strange! Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

07-02-2003, 13:41

Well, it's not so surprising. The X68000 uses a 4 operator FM chip also used in Yamaha's SFG modules for MSX. Compared to the OPL3 used in Moonsound, the YM2151 can create sounds of much higher complexity, with the downside being that it only has 8 channels.
So if you can find the OPM data in the conversion, you can get those sounds on a SFG module no problem, but converting to OPL3, OPLL or even OPL1 will be HARD if not impossible.