\m/ Sawtooth & blocky waves! \m/

By [D-Tail]

Ascended (8232)

[D-Tail]'s picture

24-09-2007, 23:29

Well, recently I got totally hooked to DragonForce's music. It's speed/power metal with a PC-Engine/MSX'ish flavour! Yes, believe it or not, but some of the guitar solos and sounds reminded me of great MicroCabin music, and one particular keyboard/keytar solo (Cry For Eternity, track 6 on album Inhuman Rampage) was just like MoA's signature DX-7 piano instrument (if I recall this well enough). Of course, I refer to MoA's SRM stuff, around 1994. Really cool though, you should all give it a listen!

Login or register to post comments

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5406)

JohnHassink's picture

26-09-2007, 19:44

Hehehe... If that ain't power metal. Smile

Some PSG tunes in, for instance, Ys II, almost sound like some sort of "chiptune-tribute" to the hard rockin' stuff.
This becomes even more obvious when you listen to Falcom's later revisions using more sophisticated soundchips.
A lot of distortion guitars and pounding drums.

You might know someone who calls himself Rikusu.
This guy went to a gig of my thrash metal band a long time ago.
The first thing he told me when I got off stage was "Did I hear Space Manbow in this-and-that song?" I wish. LOL!

Reminds me of another topic... Konami and their idea of "Let's give all the enemies in Salamander the name of a heavy metal band." Wink
They're all called things like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Nuclear Assault... Check the manual if you have one.

By Low_Profile

Champion (425)

Low_Profile's picture

26-09-2007, 19:47

Reminds me of another topic... Konami and their idea of "Let's give all the enemies in Salamander the name of a heavy metal band." Wink
They're all called things like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Nuclear Assault... Check the manual if you have one.

Wasn't that Hydefos in stead of Salamander? I remember that Hydefos bosses had names like 'Kingdom Come' etc..

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5406)

JohnHassink's picture

26-09-2007, 20:29

With Salamander it are (almost?) all enemies.

Now, when I think of it... Venom... Metalslave...

There must be a great band called Bacterion somewhere out there! \m/

By [D-Tail]

Ascended (8232)

[D-Tail]'s picture

26-09-2007, 20:55

They're all called things like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Nuclear Assault... Check the manual if you have one.LOL! I didn't know that!

By the way, a certain Dutch production is full of metal stuff as well Wink

Pumpkin Adventure 3: remember SODOM? The secret rooms with band names like Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Anthrax, etc.? Danzig logos on the walls in a temple? Big smile