mac vs pc

Page 1/2

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9992)

wolf_'s picture

12-03-2003, 23:11

Do msx'ers prefer PCs or MACs?

As in: the whole culture, not just because you need software A, and it only runs on platform A.

I might say that the pc has more in common with the classic 80's homecomputer than a mac..

..but is this an arguement for you?

Login or register to post comments

By Bart

Paragon (1422)

Bart's picture

13-03-2003, 00:01

sounds logical that most MSX'ers got into PC (x86 based architecture sounds better actually). As it had DOS, which we had (have) on MSX too.. Besides the OS's (linux, windows) are supported by more emu's than macs...

By FiXato

Scribe (1738)

FiXato's picture

15-03-2003, 15:45

the only MAC user that uses MSX that I know is Philip Pera of teh MSXGamesbOX

By mars2000you

Enlighted (6318)

mars2000you's picture

15-03-2003, 16:34

Another MAC user : Kay Nishi , yes, the great MSX man ! 8)

On his special demand, there's should be a MAC version of the MSX-PLAYer ! Smile

By snout

Ascended (15187)

snout's picture

16-03-2003, 14:30

and what about the illustrous Jan Lukens? Tongue

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

17-03-2003, 10:51

the only MAC user that uses MSX that I know is Philip Pera of teh MSXGamesbOX

So, here's another one : myself.

I switched from PeeCee to Mac last year : cool architecture, cool software, coooool communities.

But i won't bash PC : remember the Amiga / ST relationship ? That was a waste of time.

So, i'm a tolerant Mac-user. Wink

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

18-03-2003, 21:08

I remember that Hnostar Magazine was made on a MAC. Other Spanish users like Antxiko Gorjon have a MAC as well.

Though I'm a PC user since 1995, but I'm considering to purchase a MAC soon.

I have used a MAC at work recently and I love the architecture, the software, the design, and I specially love the MAC OS X. This thing is a port of Unix BSD with a powerful graphical interface (basically an enhanced Mac environment).

As soon as I had enough money I'll look for an iBook. It is a non-expensive LapTop and it is capable of everything I need to do with a computer. It is good for music, it's good for video and graphics and there is a MAME port for Mac Wink

By jalu

Master (158)

jalu's picture

19-03-2003, 09:18

and what about the illustrous Jan Lukens? Tongue

Hey, I hear my name Smile

I am both a Mac and a PC user. At work, I am a Windows/Novell system administrator, at home, we have a PC running Windows 2000 and two Macs, an iBook and an old iMac.
My choice for Mac at home was caused by Micro$ofts continuing efforts to try to close the market with their monopoly, which, frankly, scares me.
And the Mac, too, besides it's powerfull and beautiful bsd-based OS, has some similiarities with our beloved MSX: for instance, Apple already seems to have a major lead in the (semi-) professional world considering video-editing...
Iirc, MSX-View was even developed with in mind competing against the (in Japan more succesfull than here in Europe) MacOS of that time. Remember that we are speaking of 1990-1991 here, the years of 68000 based Macs with 8 MHz CPUs.
Anyway, my recent switch to the MacOS was caused not by the old, feeble MacOS9 (and before, I hated the classic MacOS for it's primitive architecture) but by the new, very powerfull and stable Unix clone that the modern MacOS X is. OS X really is a better, more mature product than it's main competitor Windows XP, mostly because Apple has in the past shown some more guts in leaving legacy devices (serial ports, floppy drives etc) behind. And it stills runs nicely and rockstable and even reasonably smooth on a 4 year old iMac. Try running Windows XP on a PentiumII 266...
Moving to an (open-source based!) Unix was a very good step of Apple: a lot of Unix software has since been ported to OS X, even up to programs like The Gimp.

By jalu

Master (158)

jalu's picture

19-03-2003, 09:20

sounds logical that most MSX'ers got into PC (x86 based architecture sounds better actually). As it had DOS, which we had (have) on MSX too.. Besides the OS's (linux, windows) are supported by more emu's than macs...

Sidenote: Linux is (ofcourse) also available for Mac Smile

By minus_signs

Rookie (17)

minus_signs's picture

07-08-2003, 15:10

Macintosh.
Even my old MSX2 computer has a better architecture than a PC. IBM made the PC with very crappy components and a stupid architecture so they would finish their microcomputer fast. A 1977 Apple II+ works better than a 1985 PC. And IBM knows this (they tried to improve the architecture with the PS/2). Wonder why IBM computers use 80x86 processors? The engineers wanted to use Motorola (680x0) processors, but their bosses said it was too powerful. THIS IS TRUE. IBM now manufactures the G4 and G5 processors for the Macintoshes.
The reason PC's are still in use? Because almost everyone uses one. Why does everyone uses them? Because there is lots of software for it. Why is there so much software for it? Because the system is popular. Why did the system get popular? 'No-one ever got fired for buying IBM'

By MrRudi

Hero (525)

MrRudi's picture

07-08-2003, 15:51

Mac is nice for graphical solutions, but I prefer PC. I never really got into Mac so I can't honestly judge which system is better but once you get used to one, you don't easily switch. And since I had to make a MAC/PC hybrid CD once and failed (since it can only be done on a Mac itself) I don't want anything to do with anything Mac related anymore.

Not that I am very fond of PC's either, it runs the software I need, that's it.

Page 1/2