Music composing on PC

Page 1/6
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

By Meits

Scribe (5492)

Meits's picture

11-02-2004, 14:52

I got a PIII with a SBlive in it... Was thinking of trying to do some music composing/arranging once again, but since I got no MoonSound anymore and I'd like to have the 'modern sound', I've to try it on my PC then.

Anyone of you out there know what kinda program I should try, which has some (or quite some) similarities with Moonblaster? And if any of you guys got such a program, could he or she contact me here or by mail?

Help would be greatly appreciated, and it would make me creative again Smile

Meits

Login or register to post comments

By Low_Profile

Champion (425)

Low_Profile's picture

11-02-2004, 15:13

Hmm... not so many fixed soundset based programs with a trackerinterface like moonblaster out there.
The closest thing IS probably a mod-tracker anyway. I personally use Madtracker a lot, it has Fasttracker compatibility and it's own format with more extensive features like additional effects for each channel.

But this is only an option if you have a decent sound-library full of samples. but downloading a bunch of existing modules/songs will help a lot if you need decent sounds fast.

www.madtracker.org to download it (it's free/shareware)

By Meits

Scribe (5492)

Meits's picture

11-02-2004, 15:15

Will download the program and check around for sound... thanks for this top already...

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

11-02-2004, 15:22

Another great site to check is www.modplug.com and look in de downloads or www.maz-sound.com/trackers.html for a complete list of any kind of tracker.

If you need soundfont (for the SbLive) check:www.hammersound.net/

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

11-02-2004, 15:24

http://www.madtracker.org to download it (it's free/shareware)

Not quite freeware.. It comes with some limitation, if you use it for free.

By Meits

Scribe (5492)

Meits's picture

11-02-2004, 15:37

Checking Madtracker and its example files... Loads of terms I've never used/heard of... Darn... This is going to be an RTFM story for me...

Furthermore Madtracker looks nice for starters... Will see what I can manage...

By DarQ

Paragon (1038)

DarQ's picture

11-02-2004, 17:38

i use cheesetracker (for linux) but it's a clone of the (dos? or was it win) ancient impulse tracker..

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

11-02-2004, 17:47

i use cheesetracker (for linux) but it's a clone of the (dos? or was it win) ancient impulse tracker..

impulse tracker 2 is for dos (if I recall correctly)...

By Meits

Scribe (5492)

Meits's picture

11-02-2004, 18:27

It is... Got it somewhere here... Just as Fasttracker... Never liked the sounds created by that though...

By the way, since I got SBlive I wonder where the sounds come from which are included in the extra programs... Quite General MIDI if you ask me... Is it onboard the soundcard or some big DAT file... Cuz if it's onboard, I'd like to have an editor for that stuff, and maybe add some extra samples... Just like MWM...

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

11-02-2004, 18:33

It is... Got it somewhere here... Just as Fasttracker... Never liked the sounds created by that though...

By the way, since I got SBlive I wonder where the sounds come from which are included in the extra programs... Quite General MIDI if you ask me... Is it onboard the soundcard or some big DAT file... Cuz if it's onboard, I'd like to have an editor for that stuff, and maybe add some extra samples... Just like MWM...

If you mean the soundfiles for midi.. Well, they are locked in the windows/system32 folder (called .SF2). The banks for SB Live are called Soundfonts. You can replace them from the control pannel (look for Audio HQ). Open Audio HQ en select Soundfont. Et voila. At least if the Audio HQ stuff is still present (I'v got an SB Live to, but not onboard).

If you found the Audio HQ stuff, you might also check for a tool called 'Vienna Studio'. This tool can edit SoundFont to do your bidding.

By IC

Hero (557)

IC's picture

11-02-2004, 18:39

If I may add, there's also a version of SB called Ensonic (not Live!). These files called .ECW. Stand for Ensonic Wave Table or something like it).

Location is the same, windows/system32..

Note that I dunnot know how to alter these tables..

Page 1/6
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6