Hi all!

By Puffer_Ape

Resident (49)

Puffer_Ape's picture

19-12-2008, 20:35

I just joined up, I've been into classic gaming for a while, but just started to get serious about collecting.

Currently I have a couple of MSX machines on the way, a Sony HB-75 and a Panasonic WSX. I also have a bunch of consoles, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn, Turbo Duo (J), Megadrive and a Master System. Computer wise I have a Mac and a Linux box.

My background is in mathematics, but I dropped out midway through Gradschool to stay home and raise my two sons. (Besides, PDEs are dumb.) I've done some programing, my favorite language is Ruby, but I usually end up using c/c++ so I can have speed and access to the libraries. (Like allegro... MMMMM...) I've never really done any assembly (It took me all day to get a working hello world on my old Amiga...) But, I want to correct that deficiency and Z80 on the MSX seems like a gentle way to get started.

I live in the mountains of Southwest New Mexico. And, I imagine I'll have the only MSX machines around. Any other MSXers in the wild west?

Anyway, I'm glad to have stumbled on such a cool community.

Login or register to post comments

By Edwin

Paragon (1182)

Edwin's picture

19-12-2008, 21:18

Welcome!

Indeed not many folks here from the US. Let alone from around the middle of nowhere. Wink

A z80 is indeed a good way to learn some asm. Many projects are still being developed by the people on this and other forums and a lot of them use pure asm. I find it a much more exciting challenge than C++ coding on a modern CPU.

Enjoy!

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

20-12-2008, 15:28

i will have an MSX soon ... im from Ohio!

wooo! USA represent

By Puffer_Ape

Resident (49)

Puffer_Ape's picture

20-12-2008, 17:49

Welcome!

Indeed not many folks here from the US. Let alone from around the middle of nowhere. Wink

You'd be surprised, the magic of the internet makes living in the middle of nowhere pretty tolerable. A bunch of awesome nerds just set up a 7mbit wireless transmitter on a nearby mountaintop so we got good speed. We can shop, watch TV read the news, all the things that I hear you can do in civilization. What I do miss is being able go to meetups and shows. No Nijmegen for me... Crying

By Puffer_Ape

Resident (49)

Puffer_Ape's picture

20-12-2008, 17:54

i will have an MSX soon ... im from Ohio!

wooo! USA represent

Sweet! All we need is one or two more, and we can have our own (tiny) MSX fair. Tongue

HMMM, maybe I'll put post on Social Talk to see if we can collect a few more US MSXers...

By dhau

Paragon (1557)

dhau's picture

17-01-2009, 19:57

Allegro 4.0+ is teh garbage. I know, since I'm one of the original contributors Smile There is a reason why MAME/DOS is sticking with version 3.11.