John Hassink is back!

Page 1/6
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5422)

JohnHassink's picture

29-03-2004, 14:28

A very fun section of the forum this is, I think.
Nice to see those people from way back, and reading their stories.
So, reading this all, I thought, why shouldn't I (re-)introduce myself to you lot as well.
Read it only if you care, you know... Smile
I'll try to keep it short.

Because my dad had one of the first MSX-computers, back in the early '80s, I practically grew up with this system. I can remember the little thingy well, it's one of my clearest childhood memories. He had it in his basement, and it worked on tapes only.
Somewhere around my 9th, 10th birthday (must be around 1989), I got my own MSX 2. Man, was I happy! I started visiting fairs and stuff.

First I only played games and made some bullshit textadventures and such in Basic.
Around 1994, I discovered that I enjoyed music more that I thought.
So I started making songs in Micro Music Language (that's right, also in Basic).
My first efforts where utter crap, ofcourse. Later on it got a little bit better.

One day, I saw an advertisement of a certain "Data Magazine". The editor was looking for a music composer. Because you can't play music made in Basic in a "real" program, I had to look for another way to make it.
Around that time, I had bought the first Near Dark music demo, simply titled "Near Dark", and the first two editions of their diskmagazine.
Because I liked those products, I contacted Jelle Jelsma, and he told me about MoonBlaster 1.4.
I got the program, and from then on, I never stopped making music. It really helped me on my path to understand music in the way I do now.

I typed some texts for DISK, the Near Dark magazine, and I made some musics for Data Magazine. Via this, I met Rieks Warendorp Torringa in a strange way (in other words: Me being a total cunt to him, because I had a distorted impression of him). Strangely enough, we eventually became friends, I joined his softwareteam Sargon, and subsequently I met Robert Vroemisse.

In the years following, I made the music for a few musicdemo's and games, and wrote some stuff for the FutureDisk. I met a lot of cool people.
The last thing I did was making half of the Fm-Pac music for Umax's The Lost World (13 songs, I guess).
Directly after this, my life took some strange turns. I hadn't time for a lot of stuff anymore, let alone for "MSX-ing". Ofcourse I missed it like hell, but I simply wasn't it the position to spend time with computers, no matter how fun it was.

Last year, I discovered the NLMSX-emulator and this site. The old itch returned! Since I have some oppurtunities again to sit behind a computer, I will try and contribute to this "revival" we are talking about.

You haven't seen the last of me! Hahaha.

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Scribe (5714)

Meits's picture

29-03-2004, 18:28

Dude, we're gonna have so much fun haha...

Gonna go to Wâldrock this year?

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

29-03-2004, 19:29

Welcome back, Johnny! Big smile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5422)

JohnHassink's picture

29-03-2004, 21:15

Thanks Patriek! Smile

Meits, I think I am, I'll let you know!

One note about my earlier post: I wrote Umax's The Lost World by mistake.
Ofcourse I meant "Realms of Adventure". Sometimes my brain doesn't work that well. :/

By Latok

msx guru (3703)

Latok's picture

29-03-2004, 21:35

I thought you were going to make the OPL4 music for The Lost World as well? Wink

By [D-Tail]

Ascended (8233)

[D-Tail]'s picture

30-03-2004, 01:29

No... I believe Chaos was working on that one. Nevertheless, the music's great! And concerning RoA: when would we have the second part? Sad

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5422)

JohnHassink's picture

30-03-2004, 02:30

Thanks for the compliment D-Tail.

Maybe it's the hour of day, but the difference between The Lost World and Realms of Adventure is beginning to confuse me... Smile

By [D-Tail]

Ascended (8233)

[D-Tail]'s picture

30-03-2004, 10:34

Thanks for the compliment D-Tail.

You're welcome, as always ^^;.

Maybe it's the hour of day, but the difference between The Lost World and Realms of Adventure is beginning to confuse me... Smile

It's not difficult to identify them: RoA is way more extensive, in a way of casting spells and such (with fancy animations!). Lost World is more or less like PA3, but then more in a medieval setting. But both are great games, really. Currently I fancy Lost World more because that game's actually finished and it's got a great plot Smile

But RoA could (have) become a great game, what with the extra options and such...

By Armitage

Supporter (10)

Armitage's picture

02-04-2004, 23:15

Nice to see, that you have returned to "your roots" Smile

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

03-04-2004, 03:05

Hey John, nice to have you around here some more Wink I'll call you soon.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5422)

JohnHassink's picture

03-04-2004, 04:31

Hey hey, if that isn't Arjan Arends, the guy from the great parties!
One of the people of which I wondered if they'd still be involved in MSX-ing, and so to see, you are. Great! Smile

Rikusu-san, I raise the beer I'm drinking now (it's Grolsch, not Heineken, hahaha) to the helluva lot fun we gonna have next time! It's been a while.

Page 1/6
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6