Quinn The Eskimo

By QuinnTheEskimo

Resident (41)

QuinnTheEskimo's picture

28-08-2007, 00:42

Let me introduce myself:

I am neither an eskimo nor got the name Quinn. I picked the name from the song Mighty Quinn written by Bob Dylan and made famous by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

I am Scandinavian, and 41 years old.

I got my first MSX in 1985 which was a Toshiba HX-10 and a JVC 3.5" 360Kb disk drive.
From that period I got around 30-40 games, word processor software and software utilities. Everything bought from the UK.

In 1989 my MSX computer was retired and got replaced by an ATARI ST 1040.

Lately I have rejuvenated my interest in MSX and have bought a lot of old MSX software and hardware on Ebay. All it took to get my interest rejuvenated, was to buy an issue of retro GAMER.

Today I own Toshiba HX-10, Canon V-20, Philips NMS 8245, JVC HC-F303 disk drive, and a Philips NMS Cassette Recorder. Plus some Spectravideo hardware cartridges. I will probably buy an ATA-IDE CF interface soon.
I hope to be able to get my hands on a Turbo R computer later.

Must say I am surprised by the activity in the MSX community by continuing to produce software and hardware for the computers.

I was a capable Turbo Pascal programmer in the middle of the 90s. I learned some 8088 assembler in college, but have never touched it since. Perhaps it will be possible to learn to program MSX assembler in the future.

Anyone knows of any Pascal language for MSX which are compatible with the MSX disk drives and perhaps where to get it/buy it?

Login or register to post comments

By Edwin

Paragon (1182)

Edwin's picture

28-08-2007, 20:02

Welcome to the liveliest retro community on the net! Big smile

An IDE CF is definitely recommended msx use these days.

You can get a Pascal compiler for msx from somewhere (have a google). Also, there is msxpad, a windows app that compiles pascal to msx programs.