Rikusu

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

13-10-2003, 13:53

Although I think this really is an interesting forum category, I initially decided in all my modesty not to put my story online here as well. But many sheep have already crossed the causeway (okay, don't know if this proverb exists in English, but hey) so let me write something about myself as well. But please, do post a reaction, I'm afraid of looking too impopular when this thread ends up not being a thread but only this message Big smile .

Well, my full name is Rieks Warendorp Torringa and I have actively been using the MSX from about 1991 to 1999. I started like many others playing games (especially Japanese RPG's like Xak, Ys and SD-Snatcher) and around 1993 I joined my first MSX club: MSX-Code. I was only thirteen years old back then. I left the club in 1995, having made several new productions, e.g. The Vampires and She Vampires, Quinch 2 and the MSX Code Newsdisc. Shortly after I left the club, I released my second and final GameBuilder game, The ATP, to some people a notorious product I can say Big smile .

After I left MSX-Code I continued doing things for MSX together with Jan and Aaldert, two assembly programmers (now mainly famous for their MSX USB Interface Nowind), under the name of Pigeonsoft. This changed into Sargon when two musicians (John and Robert) and a graphic designer (Sven) joined the team. Sargon is responsible for the Defender diskmagazine, the Guide through Gameworlds and Twisted Reality.

In the mean time I did much 'free-lance' work for various magazines (I joined the editorial of MSX User, for example, and wrote an article for XSW and MSX Info Blad every now and then, but I also submitted articles to diskmagazines like FutureDisk, DISK, MGF Magazine, Track, etc.) and I had my own MSX BBS: Warlock BBS.

I started my study of Japanese Language and Culture at the University of Leiden in 1997 and earned my Master's degree in 2003. I have lived in Japan for over two years during my studies. One of the (many) results of my studies, is a small Japanese language service business I started together with a friend of mine: Moshi Moshi.

MSX lost my interest almost completely for about four years. In 2003, I launched my first website (Samanet), featuring a Sargon/MSX part. This website motivated me to start doing things with MSX again, such as translating Japanese games to English. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by the MRC crew, who wanted to take the Japanese MSX Revival over the Japanese borders. Eventually, this became a separate project which resulted in Bazix. In cooperation with experienced Z80 reverse engineers, I became able to make professional game translations (released in WOOMB). For WOOMB, I also translated everything that came with the original games, such as their manuals. WOOMB doesn't exist anymore, but these translations are expected to become available again in the English version of Project EGG. Apart from these things, there's a lot more that I did at Bazix, but it wouldn't be relevant nor interesting to elaborate on that here.

In the mean time, I had also become an admin here at the MSX Resource Center. I took the Sargon/MSX part of Samanet offline for several reasons (Bazix, for example).

Due to a combination of personal circumstances and the rivalry (or more generally spoken: the atmosphere created on MSX websites) that started in the MSX scene around 2004, I had almost lost my motivation to do anything MSX related again in 2006. However, it has grown a little bit again lately (2009), so currently there are plans to set up a new Sargon site somewhere in the near future. Two or three Sargon productions are even likely to follow. And apart from that, of course Bazix and Project EGG English are to continue, as is MRC.

In 2004, I started my second studies at Leiden University: Law. In 2009, I earned my Master's degree (specialization: civil law).

Well, that's about it for now.

Login or register to post comments

By Latok

msx guru (3694)

Latok's picture

13-10-2003, 15:51

Pffffff, as if we're interested in this Tongue

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

13-10-2003, 18:18

Apparently you are, otherwise you wouldn't have taken the effort of reading and replying to it Tongue . Thanks anyway, I feel a lot better now Big smile

By snout

Ascended (15187)

snout's picture

13-10-2003, 19:02

Latok's just pissed his Japanese isn't as good as yours Tongue

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

13-10-2003, 21:14

We're all pissed at that Wink

By The_Engineer

Master (158)

The_Engineer's picture

21-10-2003, 13:04

Rieks W. Torringa...Big smile

I still have some faint memories about reading the story of your life on some FutureDisk edition. It was split in three parts and knowing that each part contained around 16K of text and still wonder how you could write such a large document about.... what was it about? Tongue

But, nice to have you on the bandwagon again!

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

26-01-2004, 14:24

Haha, yes, that's true... The infamous MSX history of a - how old were I? - sixteen year old MSX user. I doubt if there's anyone who actually took the effort to read the text Tongue .

By Meits

Scribe (5651)

Meits's picture

26-01-2004, 15:23

Yeeeeaaaaah, the man with the hyperactive type-fingers... Those texts were always too big to keep me attracted Smile

Nice stuff you did though, mr. what was your name? didn't we call you something like Watertorringa? Watertorenga? Damn, will overread Disk someday to find out Smile

Good to see all those familiar people around here!

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

14-02-2004, 19:07

Hehe, as I see, the Frisians are almost complete now. Haven't heard from Haiko yet on the MRC, but as it is now, Near Dark can start making new products again! Tongue

By Meits

Scribe (5651)

Meits's picture

14-02-2004, 19:57

Seen haiko today... Still as weird as you remember him...

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

14-02-2004, 20:29

And still very much into cannabis? Tongue

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3