wow, the Master of Audio resurrects!!!!!

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By MOA

Champion (293)

MOA's picture

18-02-2004, 21:20

>>I discontinued my MP3.com site when they gave exactly the same URL to someone else with the name MOA... << I hope i have the right person. are those song titles i posted the same as what you produced? also my email is kaldes@attbi.com I really appreciate it. 8) :D

You received some MP3's. Hope you like 'm.

By risto

Rookie (32)

risto's picture

10-06-2005, 00:37

Do I have those already? Don't forget your biggest fan!!! ^_^

By MOA

Champion (293)

MOA's picture

09-06-2017, 01:56

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I still receive e-mails from mp3.com users even after all those years. I decided to sign up to SoundCloud and upload some songs there. I will upload a variety of songs... MSX related, Roland/Synth stuff, Software Synth stuff... unfinished, or finished. For now, just a few songs, but I will expand the library when I find time.

The URL: https://soundcloud.com/user-95916152/

By Meits

Scribe (5488)

Meits's picture

09-06-2017, 18:14

MrRudi wrote:

Perhaps we could spend some time arranging his Synthe Sector music...

My thoughts exactly. Those tunes deserve it cuz they're good tunes...
I tried it very long ago, a few weeks after I bought my first synth. This can be done way better and I bet the Master himself knows exactly how his tunes should sound like :)

I'd like to hear you redo some of those great classics, Master.

By MOA

Champion (293)

MOA's picture

10-06-2017, 02:15

@Meits: I actually have your version in my MP3 collection as I considered it a pretty good cover (and felt flattered). Did you arrange it from scratch, or did you peek at the original MoonBlaster data? Smile

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtcht90Fyw&feature=youtu.be...

(you have to open the link in a new tab, as the default msx.org link handling seems to ignore the time stamp I added)

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

10-06-2017, 02:34

I listened to your stuff briefly yesterday, nice :D Subscribed as well.

I see you are Reason user, I used that many years ago (not legally so stuck at version 6.5 or something). Surprisingly, it supports VSTs now (just since a week or 2-3), so I'm actually tempted to buy it or at least try :D

By Meits

Scribe (5488)

Meits's picture

10-06-2017, 11:47

MOA wrote:

@Meits: I actually have your version in my MP3 collection as I considered it a pretty good cover (and felt flattered). Did you arrange it from scratch, or did you peek at the original MoonBlaster data? Smile

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtcht90Fyw&feature=youtu.be...

(you have to open the link in a new tab, as the default msx.org link handling seems to ignore the time stamp I added)

I kinda feel busted to admit that I did peek your notes...
It was quite an unorthodox way of covering. I had my first synth just briefly and had no way of connecting it to anything but a digital piano. A MIDI interface had yet to be bought (I did, but I never used it since those PC daws seem to hard for me or have a too steep of a learning curve).
The cover was done partly in MBWAVE for the drums and the fast parts. I remember that the toms were so huge that my sample ram was full, so one MWK for just a tom part. Another great chunk of the cover was played manually after transcribing the melody line, per channel to be played, to paper. This manual playing turned out to be quite hard. I transposed my synth to avoid the black keys as much as possible, but still had to replay parts a lot because of timing errors (and they do happen a lot :D ).

My way of making music with my synths still is very unorthodox and labor intensive since I still use Moonblaster 1.4 (!) for it in combination with WORP3's MIDI-PAC cartridge to playback the MSX-Music part on my synths. And since General MIDI is godawful and in patch mode only channel 1 reaches the synth it results in quite some MBM files to multitrack in Vegas later on :)

One thing I like to have confirmed: Synthe Sector II's band is Ben on keys, you on flute, Arjan on guitar and Reinier on drums.

By MOA

Champion (293)

MOA's picture

11-06-2017, 03:24

To me that sounds like a configuration I'd never ever want to work with, so kudos to you for being able to generate proper music with it Smile

Meits wrote:

One thing I like to have confirmed: Synthe Sector II's band is Ben on keys, you on flute, Arjan on guitar and Reinier on drums.

Yeah, you got that right. Although I never wore an actual bandana in real-life, but might've been guilty of growing my hair as a mullet during puberty.

Edit: *Arjan is on bass-guitar

By MOA

Champion (293)

MOA's picture

11-06-2017, 03:42

syn wrote:

I listened to your stuff briefly yesterday, nice :D Subscribed as well.

I see you are Reason user, I used that many years ago (not legally so stuck at version 6.5 or something). Surprisingly, it supports VSTs now (just since a week or 2-3), so I'm actually tempted to buy it or at least try :D

I've been playing around with Reason 4 in the past. When I compose for (soft)synth, I use the piano-roll style. Never really liked it in Reason, but it's a cool soft-synth and you can get rewarding results with it. I hardly compose these days and if I do it's during some holiday (usually Xmas), and then I often use MoonBlaster or Sonar. Both interfaces lead to a complete different style of music, so using a tracker or a piano-roll on some PC sequencer will determine music style in a way.

The piano-roll interface of Sonar was my favorite [at least that was the one I could work with in speedy way... the Reason piano-roll interface feels hampered].

By Meits

Scribe (5488)

Meits's picture

11-06-2017, 11:44

MOA wrote:

Edit: *Arjan is on bass-guitar

Six strings. Normally they're a guitar then. There might be six string basses around, but I never saw one Smile

Page 2/3
1 | | 3