MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter

MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter

by MSXdev Team on 30-07-2020, 14:01
제목: Challenges
언어 설정:

Everyone frequenting the forums at the MSX Resource Center could follow this development basically from scratch. And boy, was there great interest in how this project would develop!

Talking about scratching – people were scratching their heads, whether this title would make it in time for the ‘dev.

So, we’re proud to tell you, that mister thegeps delivered. We hope you’ll enjoy.

  • Name of the game: Freedom Fighter – Rise of The Humans
  • Game size: 128Kb (ASCII 16 mapper)
  • RAM size requirements: 16KB
  • Genre: Shoot-’em-up
  • Names of the individuals involved:
    • Code: Pintus Giuseppe Ettore, aka Geppo, aka thegeps.
    • Music and sound effects: Phaze101.

Relevated link:
MSXdev homepage

Media browser (6)

  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter
  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter
  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter
  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter
  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter
  • MSXdev’20: #18 – Freedom Fighter

댓글 (61)

By geijoenr

Master (178)

geijoenr의 아바타

31-07-2020, 18:10

There appears to be some problem with the ROM. I am not able to run it with openmsx trying different machines.

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

31-07-2020, 22:40

geijoenr wrote:

There appears to be some problem with the ROM. I am not able to run it with openmsx trying different machines.

You need to disable the drives Smile
Or just play it online: https://www.file-hunter.com/MSXdev/index.php?id=freedomfighter

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

31-07-2020, 22:41

In the BlueMsx I have not gotten it to work either.

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

31-07-2020, 23:42

ASCII16 mapper, no disk-rom!

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

01-08-2020, 16:09

The v1.1 works on which MSX?

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

01-08-2020, 22:52

I have tried it with the Megaflashrom with the Ascii 16 mapper and it does not work.

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

01-08-2020, 23:40

J.M.F wrote:

I have tried it with the Megaflashrom with the Ascii 16 mapper and it does not work.

Are You using OPFXSD or other?

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

03-08-2020, 14:51

I have the Megaflashrom without SD and I use opfx * .rom / A16.

By ray2day

Hero (537)

ray2day의 아바타

03-08-2020, 17:55

Quote:

I have tried it with the Megaflashrom with the Ascii 16 mapper and it does not work.

No problems here on my Philips NMS 8245 MSX2 using MegaFlash ROM SCC+ 2 slots SD. Freedom Fighter v1.1.

You used the ASCII16 (/A16) option, but did you disabled the subslot (/U) also? So;
OPFXSD FILENAME.ROM /A16 /U

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

04-08-2020, 13:01

In the Megaflshrom SCC + the OPFX program is used, not the OPFXSD. The / U option does not exist in the manual but I have also tried it and logically it has not worked.

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

04-08-2020, 13:54

Replace the byte 20h by 18h at 00065h and Freedom Fighter will work. (v1.1 and v1.2 ok)

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

04-08-2020, 17:45

Hello, my programming knowledge is null. If you could provide the ROM I would appreciate it.

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

05-08-2020, 02:54

No need to be a programmer to do this. Open the Rom file with a hexa-editor, replace the byte and save it with a new name.

By J.M.F

Resident (48)

J.M.F의 아바타

05-08-2020, 12:45

I've already done it and it works. Thank you very much.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

07-08-2020, 18:24

Hey Gdx thanks for your contribute! It helps me to find the real bug! I forgot to upate a label after a code modify. Your fix simply force to set a game variable to play music every frame (so music will be accelerated on ntsc machines) skipping the "set variable to ntsc" part and subsequent relative jump (where the fault was). The bug itself caused to skip a (little) part of code (just the screen2 setting) BUT the real problem was that it didn't set bank 6 of megarom (necessary to play the intro sequence) crashing the game.
Just fixed it and soon I'll upload to File Hunter.
Thank a lot again (I couldn't noticed without your fast fix) because I haven't a ntsc machines and I tested the game on ntsc machines time ago (when I implement the pal/ntsc music fix) and haven't do it again after some code changes (all my fault).

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

07-08-2020, 18:29

Great teamwork, community! Thanks for fixing so quick, thegeps!

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

07-08-2020, 18:32

Anyway, If possible try to set your machines on pal because there is more time to do stuff in a frame (and Freedom Fighter does a lot of stuff). On Ntsc machines it runs a little slower than on Pal ones. And due to the fact that the bios is still there and it uses the original ISR msx2 and higher machines have (in addition) more stuff to do in ISR too.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

07-08-2020, 18:34

I think I'll upload the fix this evening (trying to make the game easier too)

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

07-08-2020, 20:59

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

08-08-2020, 14:10

Thanks for the update. Smile

I drew a ship based on the other one that you don't want but I'm proposing it anyway because it's quite different now.

The cockpit glass is blue so i drew a sprite that matches. I think there is no problem if they are placed as follows.

Otherwise the cockpit glass can be red on the sprite. I wouldn't be upset if you don't use it. You warned me and I didn't spend a lot of time doing it.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

09-08-2020, 00:57

I use only 2 sprites, so cockpit has to be red. I did it red in the title screen too so it is coherent with sprite's colors. Ship's shape too follow the same direction: sprite design is the guideline to ship draw on title screen. And it is inclined, not exactly front view. I still have to check if your ship fit the room available (I'm really busy on my real job, and pre-vacation days are always fullest ones). I prefere to focus on playability (and eventually on bugs) at this moment. But you are free to show me your tries. If one of them will merge my work you will be obviously credited. I'm not against other gfx (a lot of people are better than me doing gfx). It was all about way and cause...

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 03:30

gdx wrote:

I drew a ship based on the other one that you don't want but I'm proposing it anyway because it's quite different now.

In the end, based on my design, something can be done! Wink Wink

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

09-08-2020, 08:23

Nope

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

09-08-2020, 09:43

You can change the colors as you want but the cockpit in red is less realistic and a little sad in color.

It's a shame to limit yourself to the constraints of sprites to make a presentation image. I think it's better to make some compromises.

About sprite, I have it quickly yesterday but to be more coherent with the presentation image, it is better to bring the boosters together as follows.

It's not a very awkward to leave the cockpit in red here.

thegeps wrote:

If one of them will merge my work you will be obviously credited.

You can reduce the tiles number at the screen center area by lowering the vessel by 8 lines.

No need to credited me.

DaikuMaryuGaiking wrote:

In the end, based on my design, something can be done!

I suspected you couldn't resist intervening uselessly. There it's done. You can be proud.

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:12

Admin, why my image is erased?

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:15

User, I can’t see there has been an image.

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:23

Quote:

I suspected you couldn't resist intervening uselessly. There it's done. You can be proud.

hamlet wrote:

User, I can’t see there has been an image.

Now is here, if you don't see, someone has erased:

Even if my image is modified, it is understood that it is that.
The real satisfaction and not sarcastic instead there is, because you are hypothesizing its use and since my drawing is free you can do what you want, so everyone knows who the original author is. ;)
But in any case, if my drawing, even an elaborate one, could replace the current one, it would be better. The fact that you are working on it is an objective fact and not my whim. ;)

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:21

And please stop interrupting here, it seems your help is not wanted in this case. Don't argue, man. I'm going to kick you out if this doesn't stop.

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:24

hamlet wrote:

And please stop interrupting here, it seems your help is not wanted in this case. Don't argue, man. I'm going to kick you out if this doesn't stop.

ok sir

By Grauw

Ascended (9272)

Grauw의 아바타

09-08-2020, 11:44

gdx, imo your image is still clearly a derived work despite your alterations. You must have express permission of the original author and agree on license terms. Otherwise, although I like it, I would recommend to draw an original image.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

09-08-2020, 12:02

thegeps wrote:

I still have to check if your ship fit the room available.

Answering to a previous discussion (in the thread that is temporarily blocked) about the number of tiles involved. Gdx was showing me that number of tiles can be lowered modifying the pic. Nothing more. Not related to this specific image

thegeps wrote:

But you are free to show me your tries. If one of them will merge my work you will be obviously credited.

Read again: your tries. Not this one. Several. gdx can draw and show me a lot of images. Then, if one of them will satisfy my taste and it will be doable, it will merge my work.

And now focus on this:
I'll never use something that could be related to you. Your efforts in this direction are useless...
I hope it is clear enough

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

09-08-2020, 12:43

I removed the DaikuMaryuGaiking work.

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 13:42

gdx wrote:

I removed the DaikuMaryuGaiking work.

If you say so...! :)
It is always a derivative of my work. So thank you. :)
Something original about your hands? :)

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

09-08-2020, 14:55

If it makes you happy to believe that, good for you.

PS: I have my best to get your creations accepted but you cannot understand that. The same goes for the fact that thegeps doesn't want anything from you anymore. Now you have to face the facts, your job will never be in Freedom Fighter, and I no longer find that a shame.

By Parsec_99

Supporter (1)

Parsec_99의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:11

gdx wrote:

If it makes you happy to believe that, good for you.

PS: I have my best to get your creations accepted but you cannot understand that. The same goes for the fact that thegeps doesn't want anything from you anymore. Now you have to face the facts, your job will never be in Freedom Fighter, and I no longer find that a shame.

If you read some previous comments, I said that I am very happy if my idea is used, that the drawing is free and can be used as you wish. You say I don't understand then, you say you removed my work.
It is you, who did not understand that I am happy that my idea is taken into consideration and make the project better, even if my help is not appreciated. Smile

By DaikuMaryuGaiking

Expert (109)

DaikuMaryuGaiking의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:13

gdx wrote:

If it makes you happy to believe that, good for you.

PS: I have my best to get your creations accepted but you cannot understand that. The same goes for the fact that thegeps doesn't want anything from you anymore. Now you have to face the facts, your job will never be in Freedom Fighter, and I no longer find that a shame.

If you read some previous comments, I said that I am very happy if my idea is used, that the drawing is free and can be used as you wish. You say I don't understand then, you say you removed my work.
It is you, who did not understand that I am happy that my idea is taken into consideration and make the project better, even if my help is not appreciated. Smile

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:21

I am tired.

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:30

Both of you may come back after my holiday. I‘m tired monitoring this for the moment.

By hamlet

Scribe (3188)

hamlet의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:35

By gdx

Prophet (3676)

gdx의 아바타

09-08-2020, 15:42

Quote:

If you say so...! Smile
It is always a derivative of my work. So thank you. Smile
Something original about your hands? Smile

This sounded mocking to me. Sorry if it wasn't.

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

09-08-2020, 17:09

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

10-08-2020, 19:35

V1.5 Ready. It will be updated later on File-Hunter
Fixed a bug (you can read more about it here:
https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/freedom-fight...

Added variable enemies fire rate, so they will fire less in the beginning. Wait for tfh link and enjoy!

By cbsfox

Champion (340)

cbsfox의 아바타

11-08-2020, 05:12

Great game. Congratulations!
One of the best ever!

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 09:42

Thank you! Still improving it!

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5457)

JohnHassink의 아바타

11-08-2020, 10:11

With v1.4, on the second try, it still crashes at the 3rd stage boss.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 16:57

Have you tried v1.5?

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 17:01

Can you explain how it crashes? Game freezes? Are you using cheats or it happens in normal mode? Anyway I'll check it later

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 17:03

third stage boss you mean Moon level end boss? Please, try to explain exactly. You can send me a mail through profile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5457)

JohnHassink의 아바타

11-08-2020, 19:46

thegeps wrote:

Can you explain how it crashes? Game freezes? Are you using cheats or it happens in normal mode? Anyway I'll check it later

Yes, everything freezes but the music.
Using an in-game cheat code for invincibility.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 20:37

so you played the game 2 times, both using cheats or first time normal and second time cheats? (just trying to guess what could be happen, so I can try to do the same). It freezes before boss, during boss or after killing the boss?

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 20:42

and please, let me know if you used also some other codes before cheats (music test and/or ship select)

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 21:08

I'm sorry to bother you... let me know also if you have killed some enemies (or almost all) in level 3 (and previous) or if you let the game go on bu itself just to see the whole scenario (asking because I found a mismatch from hardcoded level 3 enemies number and effective enemies number from eventlist, and both values are used from hit ratio calculation at the end of the level)

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5457)

JohnHassink의 아바타

11-08-2020, 23:14

First time was without using the cheat code, cheating my way with openMSX.
Second time, it was through WebMSX on tfh's (fantastic) site, using an in-game cheat code.
On both occasions, the boss is about to do some stuff, but the game will hang.
And yes, I shot down some enemies here and there during the stage.

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

11-08-2020, 23:26

Mmm... intries it 6/7 times on openmsx this evening (v1.5). I did 3 plays without cheat (but setting lives nr to 9 before assembling to grant longer playtime). Then actibated the cheats and played it till the end. Tomorrow I'll try using webmsx on File-Hunter site. But it can be related with code I've modified for v1.5
Infact I changed some bosses code (as you read there was a bug). Just ankther question:
The boss completed is pattern and restarted or it hangs before complete the pattern?

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

13-08-2020, 16:45

Found it and fixed! It was an error on pattern execution timing. If you don't kill boss before the first "pattern lap" is ended than on "second lap" the game freezes...
This happens because patterns are treated as temporized events (like enemies ordes are). I put a one unit lesser value on last pattern movement (the one that bring up again the horizontal laser sources immediately under the Tank). So the second lap they start one row down and at the end of the pattern that has to bring them to the bottom they are pushed one row out of the screen. Well the drawing routine put values on a buffer in ram and after that buffer starts my variable area. So they mess up first byte of first variable (just the low byte address of the origin of scrolling data...) and 32th byte of variable area... just because I wrote 170 instead of 171! (I didn't noticed because when testing in cheatmode I've always killed the boss BEFORE the pattern lap ended. Again, my fault).
I sent new version (1.6) as usual to File-Hunter, so you can try it soon. Have fun!

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

13-08-2020, 19:41

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

15-08-2020, 18:50

version 1.7 is ready (tfh will update it in few minutes)
added:
player spaceship explosion before respawn
a "stop right there" pattern to mid level 2 boss (so no more surprise attack as soon as appeared) and lowered its HP
fixed playability (I was able to reach level3 without using cheats, so...)

have fun!

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

15-08-2020, 18:53

Already updated Smile Playable on the same links as before Smile Just Shift-F5 if you get the old one.

By tfh

Prophet (2376)

tfh의 아바타

22-08-2020, 21:38

Freedom Fighter v1.8 is available:

* Explosions for the end-level bosses
* Fixed keyword scan routine
* GDX Request: Fire Button Release required to skip demo parts

Play Freedom Fighter v1.8
Download Freedom Fighter v1.8 (and other MSXDev Entries)

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

23-08-2020, 00:36

thank you for sharing, my friend!

By thegeps

Hero (541)

thegeps의 아바타

02-09-2020, 20:37

Freedom Fighter is now updated to V1.9

Added:
New sprites and patterns (level 5 ones, it used level4 ones until now)
New 5th midlevel boss attack/movememt pattern (it uses first midlevel boss one, until now)
Fixed 4th midlevel boss attack/movement pattern (no sudden jerky left move once per pattern in the middle of the screen)

Fixed:
Until now, when skipping intro, if music was already started it restart from the beginning (ugly). Now if music is already started it continue smoothly...
Fixed a stack related bug on epilogue and a small music freeze when skipping epilogue by pressing fire...
Faster (and better) plotting/deleting routine for 4th endlevel boss (yes, each endlevel boss has its own plotting routine)

Stay tuned!

Play it here:

https://www.file-hunter.com/MSXdev/index.php?id=freedomfighter

Download it here:
https://download.file-hunter.com/Games/MSXdev/