The development team Trilobyte-MSX, known from their MSXdev winning dungeon crawler Deep Dungeon Adventure has just released a beta version of their Moonblaster 1.4 replayer for use on the Sega Master System.

As the MSX and Sega systems share the exact same FM sound expansion, the music data is interchangeable. Trilobyte's Huey adapted the Moonblaster 1.4 replayer to work on SMS, and John Hassink provided some MBM tunes for the sake of testing and demonstration.
The demo ROM contains 12 songs, amongst which music from games and projects such as Leda and Deva, as well as arrangements from Konami's classic Metal Gear and the main theme of iconic movie Escape From New York.

The replayer is 100% open source and free to use for your own projects. This also implies that from now on, you can easily use FM-PAC music of your choice together with Franky and Playsoniq. Another deliberate goal of the replayer is to instigate a constructive discussion concerning the hugely differential FM emulation as found in the various Sega emulators around. For more information and to download the ROM and/or the source code, visit the SMS Power! forum.

Relevant link: SMS Power! forum post

By Huey

Huey's picture

02-04-2012, 17:57

The re-player will work on any normal MSX with MSX-MUSIC as it is a stripped down version (no msx-audio and psg) of the MoonBlaster re-player.
I made it to use in dual system projects for both FRANKY/PLAYSONIQ and the Sega Master System.

I hope to release a dual-system game in the future soon.
(video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BgyqsXZISM )
(demo ROM for Sega Master System here: http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DARC-SMS)

P.S. If there is interest I could make an MSX version of the re-player ROM using FRANKY/PLAYSONIQ. :hannibal:

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

02-04-2012, 20:57

Nice Smile I like the idea, even if I don't have a Franky or PlaySoniq.

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

02-04-2012, 20:58

Nice video Smile
I made my own dual system tests time ago, for using the SMS scroll. It used PT3 music over the SMS sound chip tho.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

04-04-2012, 06:44

That's interesting, MsxKun. Can you show us something? Smile

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

04-04-2012, 09:27

JohnHassink wrote:

That's interesting, MsxKun. Can you show us something? Smile

Heya. I can try to make a video capture. As BlueMSX won't work, I could use the SMS emulator, as the ROM works in both systems. Or take a camera-to-tv shoot Big smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

04-04-2012, 22:44

You can also try an early version of my Pro-Tracker driver on a hybrid ROM that works on MSX and SMS:

Download the rom and try it on MSX. Rename it to .sms and try on a Master System emulator. :D :D

By Sander

Ambassador (1843)

Sander's picture

04-04-2012, 22:55

Of course we need the Franky/PlaySoniq version of the rom ;-) Also very interested to see the finished game on those cards. Do you have the hardware necessary to test?

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

04-04-2012, 23:17

By now i got a video taken from the Fusion emulator, it looks fine, once i got the codec Smile Shows some scroll with 1 sprite around and the PT3 music playing.
Tomorrow i'll try to record something from the MSX using the Playsoniq with exactly the same ROM. It should looks and sound the same, but as I can't record it properly from the MSX, it won't. My videocapture card is very picky for external input, so probably I'll use the photo camera. Then i'll join both videos. It's something!

By Huey

Huey's picture

05-04-2012, 10:04

Sander wrote:

Yes. I bought a FRANKY some time ago. I'm having some issues atm to load my ROM page 0 in bank0 in initialisation. But that is only a matter of doing some research on this trivial matter.

I am very interested in the performance difference between the SMS and FRANKY (adding MSX waitstates).

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

05-04-2012, 19:07

As promised, the video. (MSX part is quite low quality cause of my camera Crying ) And NO, it's not a current project, just some test I made when I got my PlaySoniq.

For any question mail me or something. I'd like to keep this topic on-topic. I made off-topic enought, sorry.

By Sander

Ambassador (1843)

Sander's picture

06-04-2012, 22:14

Looks promising MsxKun! Thanks for sharing.

By hap

Paragon (2017)

hap's picture

12-04-2012, 01:10

(off topic BA-team )
Huey, congrats on winning this year's SMS Power coding competition!

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

12-04-2012, 01:38

Thanks MsxKun, looking good!

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

12-04-2012, 11:03

thx! We need more stuff for this cartridge Smile So, come on! As you see, it's not so difficult...

By Huey

Huey's picture

12-04-2012, 13:55

I agree. Mode4 is very easy to master and gives great results.