Legend has it that an ancient orc king called Gadlhan'Thur, conquered much of the known world thanks to the help of a powerful magical object. But the power of the object turned against him and ended up losing his tribe and everything he loved ... They say he died alone, drowned in an unbearable sadness.

Since then that object is known as "The Sorrow of Gadhlan 'Thur"

Kai Magazine just announced that pre-orders are now possible for his new MSX2 game "The Sorrow of Gadhlan 'Thur", which is due for release at the turn of the year. No hardware extensions are needed for the game to work. The game comes with PSG and, if present, MSX-Music programmed music.

The game is an Action RPG of exploration and open world where you can find objects and weapons that will give new skills and allow you to explore more areas of the enormous mapping. The villagers will give clues and sell objects, the monsters that populate the province will hunt you as soon as they spot you.

There are many objects and skills to gather, as well as many hidden secrets to uncover. There's a diverse set of skills to master. The game is quick, agile and progress can be saved and loaded with pass codes.

The price during pre-purchase is €9 in digital format and €12 after that. A physical edition comes in the form of a cartridge which will be €39 on pre-order, while €42 on regular sale.
The shipping costs are:
€5 for Spain
€10.80 for Europe
€13.80 for the rest of the world

Those interested in making the pre-purchase can contact Kai Magazine by e-mail: kennethalbero@hotmail.com

Relevant link: A YouTube video showing the first glance of the game.

Media browser (8)

• RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine
  • RPG "The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur" from Kai Magazine

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

17-09-2018, 08:47

That looks really nice! Keep on the great work Oscar!

By journey

journey's picture

17-09-2018, 09:35

The game looks good and visually seems a (good) mix between Faxanadu/Ys3/Golvellius

Music is provisional?

Because remind me a lot the first stage og Super EDF for Super Famicom Smile

By La Gaseta Msx

Supporter (12)

La Gaseta Msx's picture

17-09-2018, 11:52

Congratulations for your great work Kai team!, thanks to make our dreams reality.

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

17-09-2018, 16:56

Thank you, guys!

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

17-09-2018, 17:07

journey wrote:

Music is provisional?

Because remind me a lot the first stage og Super EDF for Super Famicom Smile

Hi Journey, thank you.

Regarding the music, do you mean this music?

What do you feel it is too similar? the baseline? the accords? the melody?
I just listened to it and I found no similarities, but we have some good musicians here and they can correct me if I am wrong.
This song is an fm version of a music I did for the first video of myths and dragons promo:

But I never used that song for myths and dragons because John Hassink asked me for the exclusivity of the soundtrack, so I discarted that song and I recycled it for this new game.

Do you ask if the music is provisional because it is too similar and I should change it?

Kind regards:
Oscar

By PingPong

PingPong's picture

17-09-2018, 17:45

One word. Graphics are standing. Especially sprites.
@Kai are you using hw or sw sprites?

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

17-09-2018, 18:35

Hardware sprites. That video shows how the game works on a z80. Software sprites are too slow for that framerate Wink
It is worth mentioning that I spent several days experimenting with the correct OR color combination for the screen 5 palette in order to achieve that many colors in a single character.
It was not easy, I can assure you that.

By journey

journey's picture

17-09-2018, 18:41

Kai Magazine wrote:

Hi Journey, thank you.

Regarding the music, do you mean this music?

What do you feel it is too similar? the baseline? the accords? the melody?

Kind regards:
Oscar

Ciao Oscar,

I mean from 33 sec.
I do not know why, but it reminds me that melody line.

Anyway, not a problem for me, only pure curiosity

I've already preordered the game :)

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

17-09-2018, 18:42

By PingPong

PingPong's picture

17-09-2018, 22:14

Kai Magazine wrote:

It was not easy, I can assure you that.

Sprite Graphics are stunning, i can assure you ;-)
About the necessity to use hw sprites to let it run on z80 i think it is mainly a VDP blitter issue not z80 unless you use the cpu to do sw sprites instead of vdp. But i think it is crazy.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

17-09-2018, 23:02

How many sprites per character? All just two?

Sprites are cool Smile.

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

18-09-2018, 10:20

4 sprites per humanoid (16*32 pixels), using 2 sprites for each 16x16 area, 3 colors per line.

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

18-09-2018, 10:35

PingPong wrote:
Kai Magazine wrote:

It was not easy, I can assure you that.

Sprite Graphics are stunning, i can assure you ;-)

When I say "Software sprites are too slow for that framerate" I mean this:
The frame rate is determined by the cpu time process + gpu time process. It is not always possible to make them work both at the same time. Sometimes when making several consecutive graphic operations, the CPU will just wait. After the graphic operations have finished, the cpu will start working and the gpu will wait.
For example on Life on Mars (2015) all sprites are software sprites. On r800 the game works at twice the frame rate than z80. This is because the r800 reduces the cpu processing time a whole lot, making the frame rate higher.
In short, the problem is the multi-tasking between cpu+gpu. it is not always possible...

By OeiOeiVogeltje

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-09-2018, 02:17

finally a game where you can jump...

By OeiOeiVogeltje

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

29-09-2018, 23:44

and uhm
how do you get out new games like that so quickly?

By DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider's picture

07-10-2018, 12:57

The sprites OR operation is nicely used. Surely you miss (like everyone) a good tool for creating sprites in SM2 (Sprite Mode 2) with OR.

My MSX profile