fMSX for Windows and Linux has received several updates since we reported about version 3.8, so it's time to solve and bring up to date the current status. The following are the versions released since then and change log (the latest one is version 4.7 from last September):
- Added Scale2X scaling algorithm.
- Added Monochrome, Green, Amber, and Sepia CRT emulation.
- Added -scale2x and -raster command line options.
- Added -mono, -sepia, -green, and -amber command line options.
- EMULib-specific command line options now processed inside EMULib.
- Added "Scale2x Algorithm" and "LCD Raster" options on Windows.
- Renamed "Color Raster" menu to "Color Filter" on Windows.
- Deprecated -notv and -nolcd command line options.
- Enabled magnified sprites (Jawbreaker, Stray Cat, F-Zeru, Triumph).
- Fixed sprite collision detection, especially in BASIC games.
- Added collision detection even on transparent sprites.
- Now stopping collision detection when Y=216 in SCREEN 4-8.
- Now setting lower VDPStatus bits to the last tested sprite.
- Changed VDP VRAM access logic to comply with TMS9918 datasheet.
- Added special effects simulating individual pixel components.
- Added EPX and EAGLE image scaling algorithms.
- Merged scanline options into "Simulate Scanlines" in fMSX-Windows.
- Merged scaling options into "Interpolate Video" in fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Clear File Associations" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Play Sound When Inactive" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Apply Color Raster" submenu to fMSX-Windows.
- Added -rgb and -cmy command line options.
- Added -epx and -eagle command line options.
- Added instant replay function (press [F8]) that "rewinds" gameplay.
- Switched to the new state saving code.
- Built-in menu now available when pressing [F10].
- Built-in debugger now available when pressing [CTRL]+[F10].
- Fixed a memory corruption bug in the instant replay recorder.
- Fixed instant replay not recording the first state.
- Added Cheat Hunter tool, press F8 and select "Search Cheats".
- Removed waveform interpolation for more realistic sound.
- Changed PSG noise to be more realistic.
- Switched fMSX-Windows to Direct3D textures-based rendering.
- Added -lcd and -nolcd command line options.
- Added "Video | Stretch Full Screen" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Hardware | Debugger" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Help | MSX.ORG Site" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added "Help | MSX.ORG Forums" option to fMSX-Windows.
- Added custom palettes. To make a custom palette for Game.rom, create Game.pal containing 16 #RRGGBB values, one per line. This palette file will be loaded automatically.
- Added cheat codes. To make cheat codes for Game.rom, create Game.cht containing codes in 00AAAAAA-DD and 00AAAAAA-DDDD formats, one per line. The cheat file will be loaded automatically.
- AAAAAA is the ROM address and DD is the value to write there. For 16bit values, use DDDD.
- To enable cheat codes, select "Hardware | Cheats" in fMSX-Windows, or press F8 and select "Cheats | Enable".
- To edit cheat codes, press F8 and select "Cheats".
- Majorly improved AY8910 PSG emulation.
- Added support for .MX1/.MX2 ROM files.
- Set precise CPU, VDP, and PSG frequences.
- Switched to table-based PSG envelopes.
- Switched to logarithmic PSG volumes.
- Fixed white noise frequency computation.
- Adjusted noise to be 50% of the melodic volume.
- Adjusted PSG envelopes length.
- Fixed recognition of multiple file extensions.
Relevant link: fMSX website