MSX Emulator Comparison by et_levin

by snout on 18-12-2006, 22:56
Topic: Emulation

The Japanese MSX fan et_levin maintains a short MSX emulator comparison on his website, on which the latest versions of MSX emulators for Windows are being put to the test. You can have a look at his findings, in Japanese, over here.

Relevant link: MSX Emulator Comparison by et_levin

By snout

snout's picture

18-12-2006, 23:24

Has anyone ever heard of that 'Superiority fighters' game for the turboR? Apparently it was developed by Mushroom and distributed via Bothtec's Takeru machines...

By Samor

Paragon (2027)

Samor's picture

20-12-2006, 03:55

Found the disk on internet on a site that claims it's freeware, but I can't verify that with the limited info that's available.
I was curious enough to give it a run though, and indeed, it only shows something in NLMSX (but hangs). With using babelfish on et_levin's comparison, I come to the conclusion that the game detects all other emulators as not being a Turbo-R.
It seems NLMSX is doing something quite right there; too bad it hangs.....

By dvik

dvik's picture

20-12-2006, 05:40

If I can find the game I'll try to fix it in blue and open. I'm quite sure that if the detection passes, the rest of the game is no problem for either of these emus.

@Samor: Can you send it to me? I guess that's fine since its freeware.

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

20-12-2006, 11:07

dvik> it took me less time to find it than it must have taken you to ask for it.

Anyway, the basic loader says that you need a turbo R because _ramdisk fails. Booting from a dos2 disk resolves that, but after that it still fails at some point. No time to look into that right now though.

20-12-2006, 19:17

BiFi checked it a bit more, and it seems on that disk image there are also some files missing, resulting in more errors... I hope that et_levin didn't use this disk image to test the emulators. If he did, I wonder if he tested it on a real tR.

By dvik

dvik's picture

20-12-2006, 19:41

So BiFi tested it on his real TR? Before digging too deep into the problem I guess its good to know that it runs on real hw.

21-12-2006, 21:29

The disk image that you can find on the net doesn't run on a real turboR. It runs exactly the same as on openMSX on the real tR Smile

The other thing that does not fully work on openMSX is THEかくとう4. I tracked the problem to this: see the bugreport.

The game can be found on MSX Fan 24 disk 1, in the menu that you select when pressing DOWN once :)

It involves creating a disk for the game. If you use a disk formatted by openMSX on a turboR, it breaks. This also means:
- doesn't only break when running from DOS, also from BASIC (confirmed)
- also breaks when formatted on a (real) non-Japanese machine
- should also break on BlueMSX, becuase it also uses incorrect formatting for the TC8566AF FDC. Can someone confirm this? If so, et_levin wasn't completely fair or thorough when testing.... And NLMSX does the same as well, so there it should also break then.
- a game depends on the formatting??? Yeeks!

22-12-2006, 19:15

OK, it's not the incorrect formatting (corrected in the next openMSX release, by the way). I just tried completely on my real GT again, and it just fails on it! Smile The game is just broken! So, any emulator that shows this failure is in fact 100% correct in this! Smile

13-01-2007, 10:56

OK, et_levin fixed some errors in his comparison table and now it looks a lot better Smile

By Samor

Paragon (2027)

Samor's picture

13-01-2007, 11:31

seems he has a working version of superiority fighters too Tongue

14-01-2007, 14:45

Yep.... and that seems quite unique Smile